boat adrift in Larchmont outerharbor??

2high2tight

Super Anarchist
out of the south is just hell in the CT/Westchester anchorages. No shelter, long fetches for the waves to pile up. Mostly we get the NEasterlies or Easterlies screamin, and most boats are behind a headland of some sort.

ZeroTheHero

Super Anarchist
what wind speeds were seen down that way? I see billseagull noted 45, anything higher? We had 30s up here in VT. Stern line on my mini12 let go. Bow got all scratched up on a cleat. Bummer. Well I hope there is a silver lining for these owners down there

The Owner

USA
We had steady 25 gusting about 30, SSE yesterday and last night on the South Shore of LI. Seemed windier. Checked my boat at about 5:30 and then 9:30 - the waves were the problem down here

NyJboat

Super Anarchist
John tell the Pope sorry to hear about FG, hate when Im right.

Heard another friends boat broke off in Sea Cliff and is on the beach in Sands Pt.

Old Motel

This is not comfortable information for owners lending their boats to the Storm Try Sail Collgiate big boat series next week at LYC. Hope they sort what happened out and fix it before next week.

hound9.1

This is not comfortable information for owners lending their boats to the Storm Try Sail Collgiate big boat series next week at LYC. Hope they sort what happened out and fix it before next week.
Its an exposed Harbor to the southerly winds, not much they can do. Its not every day that 50kt Southerly winds coming rolling through. Sucks to hear about Fantasy Girl!!!

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY
The Invisible Man said:
Its an exposed Harbor to the southerly winds, not much they can do. Its not every day that 50kt Southerly winds coming rolling through. Sucks to hear about Fantasy Girl!!!

Whoa...guys this wasn't something that just popped up out of the blue. It was forecast well ahead of time. And we aren't talking 50 kts winds, we are talking mid 20s with some pops up to near 50.

Anyhow the point is that some folks went down and moved their boats or doubled up painters, stripped sails and prepared, many did not and some are paying the price for that. It is a shame but to suggest that there isn't anything that could have been done or that folks should reconsider lending their boats to STC for the IOR is just plain nuts.
Even though we are protected from the south (Little Neck Bay), we were out on Thursday and stripped as much windage stuff as possible and made certain that the chafing gear was in place. With all the wind moaning last night, I slept comfortably. You really need to be aware of what might happen and take appropriate action beforehand.

Cheers,

MikeR

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Even though we are protected from the south (Little Neck Bay), we were out on Thursday and stripped as much windage stuff as possible and made certain that the chafing gear was in place. With all the wind moaning last night, I slept comfortably. You really need to be aware of what might happen and take appropriate action beforehand.

Cheers,

MikeR
+1

Were some of these owners newbies?? One of my mates was stuck in Manhattan, but made sure I checked on his B40. We got diddly in SE CT, thanks very much..

Last edited by a moderator: