Boat Painter recommendation in New England

woodpecker

Looking to have a 42' sailboat topsides painted. Looking a good price/quality ratio. Boat is already painted but has the usual scuff marks and scratches.
I can move the boat anywhere in NE.  Is there a going rate per ft. as a ballpark?
Any recommendations would be great, Thanks.

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
you don't specify much. other than the length. 

• Old paint type? 
  • Bootstriping? 

The cost per foot may or may not include much preparation, which is 90% of the labor. 

Most yards that would do a good job, will want to do the "final" preparation themselves to guarantee the work. 

I've painted a 40' boat with tip/roll awlgrip and spent dozens of hours doing sanding/priming/fairing/sanding/fairing/sanding/priming/sanding....

and then two color coats... 

woodpecker

Thanks all.  Boat has double bootstripe with 10 year old Awl grip. I see now they are top coating with multiple coats of clear.
Is this the way to go?

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Who is? https://www.awlgrip.com/news/awlgrip-launches-hdt

Sounds good, says it's buffable.

Otherwise Awlgrip is usually without clearcoat. Perfection also, Sealcoat I believe ditto. Not sure about Sterling, the PPG marine is an acrylic that relies on a clear, Awlcraft 2000 & SE say that they're repairable but don't  use a clear top. Imron also develops it's gloss in tne topcoat. That's the best I know.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Unless your boat is aces I would spend on a good primer rather than multiple clear coats to get the ultimate DOI. When they sand it they may find some porosity which the primer fills in. Theoretically you don't have to prime over good Awlgrip if recoati g with the same but a pro will insist on a primer for bonding and sand it smooth, there's the money.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Probably SE with the HDT clear over, you have to hunt around but it's an acrylic urethane they overspray with a polyurethane clear, why they say it's part of a multicoat system. For that DOI with metallics/pearlescents it's probably as good as any or better.

DrewR

Utility Infielder
Buzzards Bay, MA
^^ If you're down that way, try Kingman on the Cape. They shoot Alexseal rather than Awlgrip. They paint a lot of boats. My boat came out excellent. Alexseal is allegedly easier to repair. I will be testing that out one of these days.

woodpecker

^^ If you're down that way, try Kingman on the Cape. They shoot Alexseal rather than Awlgrip. They paint a lot of boats. My boat came out excellent. Alexseal is allegedly easier to repair. I will be testing that out one of these days.
Drew, Thanks. Just curious, what were the costs?

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I stumbled upon this thread today and I just happen to have had my boat painted and wanted to provide a data point for anyone else who may want something to compare against.

I just had my 50' sailboat painted at Safe Harbor Pilots Point in Westbrook, CT, had an excellent experience.  Kip Wiley runs point on the projects there and was really meticulous on my boat.

I had the boat totally sanded, primed, sanded again, and then two coats of Awgrip. Its a flawless mirror finish.  The boat has a double waterline and a single boot strip.

Here is a breakdown of the costs:

LABOR: $7,575
MATERIALS: $5,037  (* includes ALL materials: paint, masking tape, film, abrasives, plastic coverings, primer, rags, buckets, blades, calking, strainer, etc...)
FREIGHT: $11.06
================
TOTAL: $12,623.17

Which works out to: $253/ft

The color is: Corinthian Blue, which is a shade between Flag Blue and Arista Blue.

/monthly_2020_09/large.IMG_6572.JPG.87a75b861da73f5cb4150530e6d633d2.JPG/monthly_2020_09/large.IMG_6573.JPG.1f4596cfa0a56e7173e8a3160d46b4d0.JPG/monthly_2020_09/large.IMG_6579.JPG.487526d770d712825c639869917aaeca.JPG/monthly_2020_10/large_17.jpg.8e935589e0fde88ae3de656d686629c6.jpg/monthly_2020_10/large_16.jpg.4363c8d2e0387bc407456d8412f62919.jpg/monthly_2020_10/large_19.jpg.99f1277e25f51063ed62a20f8b9e63da.jpg

claudiajohnston

you don't specify much. other than the length.

• Old paint type?

• Bootstriping?

The cost per foot may or may not include much preparation, which is 90% of the labor.

Most yards that would do a good job, will want to do the "final" preparation themselves to guarantee the work.

I've painted a 40' boat with tip/roll awlgrip and spent dozens of hours doing sanding/priming/fairing/sanding/fairing/sanding/priming/sanding....
Best Calgary Painters
and then two color coats...
I contacted John Pierce yesterday about painting my 39 Knuckle tins and unfortunately, he said he is booked solid and is not currently accepting new jobs. Does anyone have a recommendation for another painter? Thanks, Bob

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I contacted John Pierce yesterday about painting my 39 Knuckle tins and unfortunately, he said he is booked solid and is not currently accepting new jobs. Does anyone have a recommendation for another painter? Thanks, Bob
The painters I know are booked out at least a year
New England is difficult because of weather and facilities
perhaps try the Chesapeake bay …perhaps one of the Oxford boatyards Mate of mine always uses those boatyard for refits, storage and general work