Boat pets

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Friends got a Chihau. pup, another mutual friend, a tall and overly large, loving caring person sat on it and killed it, to the distress of everyone involved.

They got an insurance payout, these things aren't cheap from a breeder. A year later they had another Chihau. pup. They went out for the evening and one or more of their 3 cats cat ate it. Breeder refused to have anything more to do with them.

In a fit of overcompensation they got a Weimariner pup for her and an Irish Terrier pup for him, both survived their alloted span.

Not sure if there's a moral to this story.
Similar story here. My folks had a Siamese mix in Colorado that was effectively a mini cougar, capable of fending for itself for days at a time in the winter. One winter night their neighbors stepped outside on their second story deck to check on their chihuahua only to see the cat beat feet, leaving a half eaten dog behind. Kind of gross but it illustrates that barking mice aren’t well equipped to survive without constant owner attention/protection.

All friends in the shade...as soon as the furler foil went on deck they have been fighting over this spot.

IMG_20210702_180240880_HDR.jpg

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
one of my highlights of my life was taking my cat sailing...for her, not sure she thought it was a highlight.  Didn't take her too far, as it's a pretty wet boat, and she is ok on the sea, but didn't like the water too much.  Lived to 18, passed away last year sadly.

Thai cats are pretty hardy.  Loving Singha, i presume he is a Korat? Supposed to be the smartest of the Thai cat breeds.

119487173_3188685064520440_1386239718958437527_n.jpg

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
Singha says ‘thank you.’ He is a Lower Alabaman Brown Patheticat. Feral boatyard cat, the yard was trapping the cats and we saved him from whatever fate the yard had in mind. His mama was a small tortie, and so apparently he takes after his sire whom we never did see. 

61DF476E-0B02-4E61-9ECF-F35432FFC5BD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
The Happy Cat has been swimming a couple dozen times. About half intentionally, three life threatening and most famously 20 meters off the beach to a jet ski we were hanging around on a hot day to join the party. She likes flat water and does a mean sidestroke in chop. 

0EA18D65-1D84-487F-96F0-100EE94E0BAF.jpeg

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
I wish that circumstances would have allowed me to teach my cats how to swim, and to like dinghy rides, and harnesses… the adaptation difficulty is a negative to bringing adult cats to the life. But they have adjusted and I think they seem happy for the most part, and the cat guys sure give us joy 

Last edited by a moderator:
We were forced to go with a harness on the Panamanian beast as he was playing hell in the marina.  Pretty surprise at how he took to it.  Wife had to modify a soft harness to make it sort of escape proof but now he doesn't fight it and we take him for walks regularly.  The old man Nemo was a hard no.  Not interested at all and shredded my hands at a rest stop when I tried.  In the process Macho thought he would held defend Nemo and came running over to add to more scars.  I just watched the super wierd cat people show on Netflix and realized just how far we have to go before we are that nuts.  One thing that was cool was the surfing cat.  We have had macho on the SUP and dingy pretty sure we can get him to relax on both with some more time.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
After hanging on the beach with Happy, and she swam to my canoe, this guy turns to his girlfriend and says “our cats are so lame...”  

It sucks when she dies though. We’ve mourned her twice MIA  

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
As I sit here with my loving spaniel curled up beside me, I sip my morning coffee and reflect that she has never laid more than her wet tongue on me. OK, she occasionally paws me for attention (she can be needy). And I wonder what kind of masochism induces one to seek the affection of cats?

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
And I can’t help wondering why dog owners feel the need to denigrate cat owners.

Here’s back at you: what sort of masochism does it take to live with a large dumb slave who smells bad and won’t get out of your face?