Boat ramp morons.

TPG

Super Anarchist
"Oh, we're part of the regatta."

Gee whiz, this is the town ramp, not the yacht club ramp dipshit. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

They then proceeded to strap down their RIB/talk/jack each other off directly in front of both ramps blocking any attempt for anyone to launch or retrieve.

Couple weeks ago there was almost a fist fight between a couple of the glorious notworthmorethan50bucks soaking clams crowd when dipshit #1 took a thousand years to try to line his boat up on his trailer that was WAY too deep (folks, the ramp is steep, front roller should be high and dry).

I really need to take more pictures of this shit.

God I love boat ramps.

Last edited by a moderator:

PuffyJman

Super Anarchist
panhandle fla
We have an asshole at our club that manages to park his truck in front of the lift and his boat along the finger pier everytime we have a regatta. He has been asked nicely to not do so only during race days but he seems to get indignant about it and goes out of his way to be a pain in the ass. He doesn't seem to mind or is unaware of the damage caused to his boat as the sailors stomp all over it and bounce thier boats off his. Go figure. Asshats everywhere...

TPG

Super Anarchist
hilarity ensues on Memorial Day Weekend, July 4th and Labor Day weekend.
They just rebuilt the ramp steeper this spring. People still think they need to bury their trailer.

If they'd take the 10 seconds to walk down the finger pier and take a look they'd save themselves 15min of floating around OVER the top of their rollers/bunks.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
When I launch my powerboat, I line it up, take off all tie downs, remove the winch cable and safety chain (bunks, not rollers), put a driver in it (motor has been run that day or the evening prior), disconnect the trailer lights and back it in. As soon as it floats, the trailer gets moved from the ramp, the driver lowers the outdrive, fires it up and backs away from the slip. Total time occupying the ramp? About 90 seconds tops. Just amazed at the differences between fishermen who launch and retrieve every time they go out and "weekend warriors" who don't have a clue.

TPG

Super Anarchist
When I launch my powerboat, I line it up, take off all tie downs, remove the winch cable and safety chain (bunks, not rollers), put a driver in it (motor has been run that day or the evening prior), disconnect the trailer lights and back it in. As soon as it floats, the trailer gets moved from the ramp, the driver lowers the outdrive, fires it up and backs away from the slip. Total time occupying the ramp? About 90 seconds tops. Just amazed at the differences between fishermen who launch and retrieve every time they go out and "weekend warriors" who don't have a clue.
I'm down to about 2 1/2 minutes.

Solo.

With an inboard.

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD

Solo.

With an inboard.
That's pretty good. I save a lot of time by not getting out of the truck while it;s on the ramp.

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX

Solo.

With an inboard.
That's pretty good. I save a lot of time by not getting out of the truck while it;s on the ramp.
Couple weeks ago, I saw a guy beat that time by more than two minutes with no engine at all. Steep ramp, about 100 m long. No chains. Whoops, forgot to lock down the hitch. Trailer got about 1/4 of the way down before going sideways and dumping the keelboat. Keelboat then went the rest of the way on its side, leaving a nice blue skidmark and hitting the water at about 20 knots. Everyone was damn lucky no one was in front of that thing.

TPG

Super Anarchist

Solo.

With an inboard.
If ratz is with me she backs down the ramp itself while i pop off the trailer.

Gotta set some new pad eyes on the rail for fenders since I've now chewed up a vent and Mako logo on perfect height to mangle my vents and logos rub rail on the new dock. :angry:

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
On any given race day at Austin Yacht. Club fifteen to thirty teams accomplish this on our ramp.

Also. Our lake is fifty three feet down right now. Our two lane ramp is sixty feet high ( fifty three currently above the waterline ) and about seven hundred feet long .... So there is some serious backing down the hill skill involved

http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/Ramp%20launching.htm

On any given race day at Austin Yacht. Club fifteen to thirty teams accomplish this on our ramp.

Also. Our two lane ramp is sixty feet high and about seven hundred feet long .... So there is some serious backing down the hill skill involved

http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/Ramp%20launching.htm

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Trailer backing. Oh my.
Seven hundred feet down a hill with a keelboat helping you hurry and a steep rock cliff on one side .

It is best to be in neutral so the rear wheels are braking rather than fighting with the front and if the vehicle stalls and the power brakes quit helping it gets scary quickly.

The best solution is lots if rain filling the lake so the exposed ramp is just fifty feet or less

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Trailer backing. Oh my.
Seven hundred feet down a hill with a keelboat helping you hurry and a steep rock cliff on one side .

It is best to be in neutral so the rear wheels are braking rather than fighting with the front and if the vehicle stalls and the power brakes quit helping it gets scary quickly.

The best solution is lots if rain filling the lake so the exposed ramp is just fifty feet or less
Gouv

A long time ago, in a place far away.....wait. When I was in college, I worked for a sailboat dealer in Dallas. For keelboat launching on long ramps like that, we had a front hitch welded on so that we could drive forward down the ramps to the water's edge before chocking and swimming a tow cable across the cove to drag the trailer into deep water (ramps at grapevine aren't very steep every tried the front hitch trick?

TPG

Super Anarchist
Front hitch is a quick and easy way to move trailers around in tight places. I know a few people who do it.

Probably would work great for Gouv's situation since you can exhaust brake in first if you're running a diesel pickup rolling down the billion miles and not smoke/overheat the brakes.

Granted the boat in his pics on the website wouldn't cook brakes, but couldn't hurt.

sail1403

Arizona
Ok, this was just a dumb ass @ the boat ramp

working the marine store, next to the city ramp, guy comes in "hey do you have a hand pump, my boat has got a little water in it"

we've got one of those small battery powered pumps for just this occasion...go out climb onto the tire to get a look in...

12" of gas in the boat

me: "sir that's not water that's gas"

him: "no wonder it cost so much, when I filled up at the gas station"

he pumped fuel into the water fill

Dorado

Super Anarchist
A long time ago in the Ca. Delta there was a small resort that had a tricky little single lane ramp.

They set up some bleachers along side that would fill up with drunken blood-thirsty Romans every weekend afternoon.

Thumbs up or thumbs down.

Knuckleheads never went there twice.

Seen at the Berkeley Marina ramp:

redneckcareening.jpg