Boat ramp morons.

TPG

Super Anarchist
I love the roller trailers. Cant even tell you how many boats coverd the last 100ft of the ramp on their own bottom.
Easy on often means easy off.
Today coming back from picking up an angle grinder so I could cut the bolts off my front springs I stopped for a moment to watch a guy loading onto a roller trailer. Steep ramp + trailer not deep enough = rrrrrrRRRRRRRRRBANG.

He'll need a new lower unit.

Maybe he thought his boat was a Buk SAM?

Too soon? Too soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rock aby sloopie on the ramp top,

when the wind biows your not going out,

when the the trailer brakes the bunk wheeles will help

and down will come sloopie on to the hard.

Rock aby sloopie on the ramp top,

when the wind biows your not going out,

when the the trailer brakes the bunk wheeles will help

and down will come sloopie on to the hard.

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Ok, this was just a dumb ass @ the boat ramp

working the marine store, next to the city ramp, guy comes in "hey do you have a hand pump, my boat has got a little water in it"

we've got one of those small battery powered pumps for just this occasion...go out climb onto the tire to get a look in...

12" of gas in the boat

me: "sir that's not water that's gas"

him: "no wonder it cost so much, when I filled up at the gas station"

he pumped fuel into the water fill

A shop vac will get that all up quickly...
Carefill now... there are impressionable munchkins reading these forums. Wouldn't want to get sued for "helpfil" suggestions now would we.
Anyway, a match would be a lot quicker...

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

That and a geometry fail.

The trailer hitch doesn't come off, it just unloads as the wire winch rope fails. Right at the start of the clip you see the rope going to the winch on top of the trucks headboard. No safety lines at all, dicks.

You can actually hear that rope/cable/whatever go POW if you turn the sound up on the video. It couldn't stretch and was the weakest link.

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
2008-07-31-005.jpg
Makes me happy to have spent half as much money (or less) on a cross-over that gets twice the mileage, parks more easily, turns tighter, and -here's the bonus- comes with a parking brake.
Was the guy too busy trying to impress people with his overly-appointed Chevy Tahoe Suburban to concentrate on the task at hand?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
I live a block away from the free city ramp...so yeah it is a constant source of hilarity. This seasons highlights...

A group of 20-something Japanese college students decide to buy one of those Seadoo jet boats. They actually do a decent job of backing & launching for first timers...only they found out the hard way one of them should really hold onto the painter when it slides off the trailer. They were in the midst of what passes for the Nippon version of rock-paper-scissors of who gets to take a swim when I towed it back with my kayak for them. Got a cold Sapporo for my effort, so no harm no foul.

A pair of chuckleheads that somehow managed to turtle a CL16 dinghy (kind of a big Albacore), while it was still attached to the trailer, with the mast up. After dicking around for 20 minutes blocking both lanes they just drag the whole mess up the ramp, snapping the mast bouncing of a bass boats gelcoat, and generally just being a whole shit show.

Guy rents a pickup from Uhaul to launch his new toy. Discovers that a pickups ebrake only locks the rear wheels and the whole mess goes sliding down the ramp. While still running. Left a nice diesel slick after hydrolocking the engine. And apparently it was a practically brand new truck with only 1k on it. The local Uhaul disqualified his insurance claim, and his going after him for the truck & cost of cleanup.

The city has picnic tables dotted around the ramp, so it's a great place to walk the dogs and smoke a cigar for a bloodthirsty Roman, lol.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Alberta
Makes me happy to have spent half as much money (or less) on a cross-over that gets twice the mileage, parks more easily, turns tighter, and -here's the bonus- comes with a parking brake.

Was the guy too busy trying to impress people with his overly-appointed Chevy Tahoe Suburban to concentrate on the task at hand?

If I recall correctly, the Hummer was less than a week old and was parked with the trailer in the water but not quite enough for the boat (the yellow Seadoo) to float free. That's when the guy tells his 16-year-old daughter to jump in and back it up just a "little more"...

atoyot

Super Anarchist
Dela-where?
If I recall correctly, the Hummer was less than a week old and was parked with the trailer in the water but not quite enough for the boat (the yellow Seadoo) to float free. That's when the guy tells his 16-year-old daughter to jump in and back it up just a "little more"...
Damn. Hard lesson, indeed. Hope she didn't get too beat up over it.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW

Prolly the only time it's been off road...

Timo42

Super Anarchist
Nothing like a soaking wet hummer......
golfclap.

I have a feeling that once the guy realized that it didn't make his winkie any bigger, he decided to pull an insurance job on the Hummer.
and after the 300 trips to the dealer to get this that and everything else fixed.

heard horror stories from past owners AND service managers.
Sink any car and its totalled, that isn't fixable. That being said, the air suspension on those things was something less than reliable, and the active fuel management really required proper oil change interface to function over time. But I digress...

Latest posts