Boats out of place

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
While visiting my son and a friend in the Pheonix AZ area we had breakfast at a dennys. I was eating and looked out the window to see this big IOR looking boat. I cold not see much so I pulled out back to see it was in an upholstery shop lot. What is it? probably someone's home now.

20210407_115647.jpg

Next, here is a google map sat view of the Big Trawler I see in Quartzite, AZ when driving on the 10 to Phoenix.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6690345,-114.1831234,131m/data=!3m1!1e3

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
While visiting my son and a friend in the Pheonix AZ area we had breakfast at a dennys. I was eating and looked out the window to see this big IOR looking boat. I cold not see much so I pulled out back to see it was in an upholstery shop lot. What is it? probably someone's home now.

View attachment 440532

Next, here is a google map sat view of the Big Trawler I see in Quartzite, AZ when driving on the 10 to Phoenix.

Lake pleasant had a big racing scene back in the day, still might.  Might be a relic from then.  Not sure if they had stuff that big, but I remember seeing a couple plastic fantastics 35+.   

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Lake pleasant had a big racing scene back in the day, still might.  Might be a relic from then.  Not sure if they had stuff that big, but I remember seeing a couple plastic fantastics 35+.   
They do pretty well.  Victor is leading the charge there with his program Tiller & Kites.  They have a couple of big boats.  https://www.tillerandkites.com  Flying Tiger 7.5 and 10m, a Capri 37...etc.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
A good way to dry out a boat is in in that scaldingly hot zero humidity desert sun.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
They do pretty well.  Victor is leading the charge there with his program Tiller & Kites.  They have a couple of big boats.  https://www.tillerandkites.com  Flying Tiger 7.5 and 10m, a Capri 37...etc.
A year ago while visiting my friend, we went to lake pleasant and they dry storage had lots of little race boats too. There was even one of the early Mini 6.5 with about a 6' draft. It really looked out of place.

It is a nice looking lake but my friend says the level is down. They have had less rain than us in So Cal and we have really had none.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
Boats out of place? Here's an old one on the Columbia Icefields. The busload of Japanese tourists sure figured it was worth a shot.

(might fit better in the show-your-boa- not-sailing thread, but oh well. Time for more wine)

image.png

BayRacer

Anarchist
Lucky guy - IMO one of the best looking boats ever.

As I recall, hull lines based on a successful 2 tonner. Beneteau offered a few variations- lead keel/cast iron, standard rig and tall rig. Maybe couple other variables. I raced on Great Lakes boat that had tall rig, lead keel. If I remember right, it weighed in about 23000 pounds. Owner bought it directly from France 87/88 at a time that exchange rate made it a steal. There were several others on the Great Lakes, we always managed to beat them and do well in Mac races and other distance races. We sailed through 50 knot+ squall with reefed main and #2 trucking up rhumb line when others down to bare poles— several rigs down that year including one of the Santa Cruz 70’s. That boat could take just about anything. Even raced one design in Chicago NOOD in early 90’s when NOOD still meant offshore capable boats, not J70’s or Solings etc. 

Owner moved up to bigger boat and last I knew the 42 was in Chicago. There has been one on Yacht World for a couple years in Chicago but not boat I sailed on. My  wife loved that boat as well. If I could find one in great condition and right options I’d be tempted....

View attachment 440532

I remember the santa cruz 70 with the same name, but that isn't it.

stief

Super Anarchist
Sask Canada
I like your idea!  Here is another trimaran that fits the 'post a boat out of place' moniker..
Nice! Launch is ahead and amas were just lowered, I assume?  Guessing the chocks are needed while trailer tongue extension/ cable is used. Nice that you seem to be able to launch with only a few feet of water.  Somehow the grassy banks make me think that's a freshwater lake in WA, but that surely is a seagoing tri.

Liked the helpful help. Not sure about the bananas, though  :p

( @Meat Wad let me know if this is OT, and you'd like to keep the thread about the boat you discovered)

Last edited by a moderator: