Bob Perry is Legend

Son of Hans

San Diego
Either Bob has a lot of fans here, or a lot of user IDs! To be sure, he has produced a lot of designs that I like, and a few that I would have done differently. The key point here though, is that designing a good boat is not all that difficult. What is really difficult is getting someone to pay you to design good boats, and unless Bob has some other means of support, it appears that he has been able to do that for half a century, and for that he earns my everlasting admiration.

Tacoma Mud Flats

Have star, will steer by
Bob Perry's "Perry on Design" design vignettes in Sailing Magazine make great reading. He's been doing them for donkeys years.

Thanks, Bob. Great Stuff!

Last edited:

Son of Hans

San Diego
How about some pics of the GOB's you designed?
Since you asked, here are two. I've got more pics, but they are too large to upload and I don't feel like downscaling them right now.

Blackbird002.jpg

Windquest004.jpg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
You seem to have the opinion of one to whom it comes naturally - "It's easy".

Our daughter inherited my mom's artistic ability - when she was three she brought me a picture she drew - Donald Ducks head. It was perfect and I thought "wow, that's remarkable that she could trace it that perfectly" but she had copied it, not traced it. Her skills continued to develop from that sort of essential talent but she was nearly an adult before we finally got her to realize that it wasn't like that for everyone.

Designing boats is like that.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Since you asked, here are two. I've got more pics, but they are too large to upload and I don't feel like downscaling them right now.

View attachment 540622

One of the big challenges in designing a great boat is to make sure that is only handed over to great sailors. These guys look like they're about to do something... maybe gybe, maybe douse... but they also look like they're not sure either.

If i were aboard for this moment, I'd yell at the foredeck guy "Hey! Don't touch that!"

bgytr

Super Anarchist
He originated some brilliant designs, no doubt. But is he still MAGA? One must seriously question the judgment of anyone that is still MAGA after all we've seen.
Here comes the cancel culture! In sailboat design no less.

God where will it end.

Reading Bob's insightful Sailing design reviews growing up in the 70s was one input in my formative years that spurred me on to becoming a naval architect.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
Let me ask you question. Suppose you were shopping for painting. And you come across a beautiful painting at a decent price, and you're considering buying it. And then the artist came up to you and started rambling on about Hitler-- how it was all a hoax, and the the holocaust never happened, etc. Would you still buy that painting?

PS-- What's cancel culture?

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Let me ask you question. Suppose you were shopping for painting. And you come across a beautiful painting at a decent price, and you're considering buying it. And then the artist came up to you and started rambling on about Hitler-- how it was all a hoax, and the the holocaust never happened, etc. Would you still buy that painting?

PS-- What's cancel culture?
Are you saying Bob Perry is Hitler?