Bob Perry is Legend

Son of Hans

San Diego
You seem to have the opinion of one to whom it comes naturally - "It's easy".

Our daughter inherited my mom's artistic ability - when she was three she brought me a picture she drew - Donald Ducks head. It was perfect and I thought "wow, that's remarkable that she could trace it that perfectly" but she had copied it, not traced it. Her skills continued to develop from that sort of essential talent but she was nearly an adult before we finally got her to realize that it wasn't like that for everyone.

Designing boats is like that.
Sorry if I implied that just anyone could do it - it does require a skill set. My point was that it takes more than that to achieve long-term commercial success and that something else is what sets Bob apart from those who had to find a real job to pay the bills.

Son of Hans

San Diego
One of the big challenges in designing a great boat is to make sure that is only handed over to great sailors. These guys look like they're about to do something... maybe gybe, maybe douse... but they also look like they're not sure either.

If i were aboard for this moment, I'd yell at the foredeck guy "Hey! Don't touch that!"
That pic was from the builder's trials - trying out everything in a short period, so it looks a little disorganized compared to a race situation.

He might be a curmudgeon, and our ancient spinnaker might be ugly, but anyone who designs a boat that allows my unskilled ass to fly a kite and not die, break anything, or even get yelled at by the spouse is a legend in my mind.

View attachment 540405
IMG_6196_stitch (1).jpg

Me too. Valiant 42-186 sv Little Wing

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Longy: Yes staysail is history. It's a very short rig to begin with. The biggest change recently has been our focus on having an alu build. We are talking to Kanter. Trying to keep all options open at this stage.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Bob’s got my vote for a good(badass) guy and great designer. I don’t like kissy assed feel gooders and he is definitely not one of them.

Still wish I lived in deeper waters and had the chance to own Boomer.

E2524138-46B9-4F76-8902-32DA04B93F94.jpeg

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
One of the big challenges in designing a great boat is to make sure that is only handed over to great sailors. These guys look like they're about to do something... maybe gybe, maybe douse... but they also look like they're not sure either.

If i were aboard for this moment, I'd yell at the foredeck guy "Hey! Don't touch that!"
You'd be the tubby guy at the helm that can't see fuck all then? I'm seeing a headsail halyard issue, no biggie.

Latest posts