Bobstay and Anchoring

mezaire

Super Anarchist
Tasmania
Hey all,

Just started sailing on a Cookson 12 that has just arrived in Hobart.

The boat will be cruised occasionally, mainly 1-2 nights away with crew and their kids.

The boat has a 1.4m sprit with 2 internal tack lines, one coming out of the end and a 2:1 coming out on the top, plus a dyneema bobstay.

There is of course no bow roller, only a cleat either side around 500mm back from the bow.

Has anyone come up with a clever way to anchor or attach to a mooring?

Thinking 2 x friction rings lashed either side of the sprit (like mickey mouse ears!) and a bridle that goes through each and attaches to the rode.  But then of course there is the issue of how to attach a rope bridle to the middle of a 14mm nylon rode without a knot!!

Thoughts?

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yeah - a snatch block to hold the rode up off the gunwale (assuming no fairlead) and then a rolling hitch from a line run from amidships onto the rode as your bridle. 

Drop anchor, let out appropriate rode. either hold the snatchblock up off the deck with a halyard or lashed to the the bow pulpit.  Tie the rolling hitch to the amidships line and let it out another couple of meters. Boat will now stop tacking all night long and sit a little with the bow off the wind. 

It's not my idea, and works really well:

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Yeah - a snatch block to hold the rode up off the gunwale (assuming no fairlead) and then a rolling hitch from a line run from amidships onto the rode as your bridle. 

Drop anchor, let out appropriate rode. either hold the snatchblock up off the deck with a halyard or lashed to the the bow pulpit.  Tie the rolling hitch to the amidships line and let it out another couple of meters. Boat will now stop tacking all night long and sit a little with the bow off the wind. 

It's not my idea, but works really well:

View attachment 488882
I wonder if this would settle down a boat that really sails around at anchor. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I wonder if this would settle down a boat that really sails around at anchor. 
I assume yes, and you can always pull more side load on. Likely increases the load on the anchor.

i know on my boat, 43’ early IMS design, rigged like that, it sits nicely in up to 20 knots and some decent chop.

nota

Anarchist
one anchor ?

my boats always sail at anchor but never on just one

two is the minimum  for sleep 3 is better if going away for any real amount of time

one is ONLY for kedging or a very brief lunch stop remaining on aboard and awake

Ron Swanson

Los Angeles
I used a 100mm harken block with the strop. Snatch block would be easier for sure, but I didn't have one large enough. It's a bit of a hack, and I wouldn't trust it long term or in heavy weather, but for an easy night or two no problem. I led the tail back to the mast, then a cockpit winch.

DSC_0792.JPG

DSC_0793.JPG

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
I used a 100mm harken block with the strop. Snatch block would be easier for sure, but I didn't have one large enough. It's a bit of a hack, and I wouldn't trust it long term or in heavy weather, but for an easy night or two no problem. I led the tail back to the mast, then a cockpit winch.

View attachment 489090

View attachment 489091
This. If you are worried about the vertical load on the sprit. (Mine isn't very strong in the downward direction) you can use a halyard to the end of the pole. Reduces swinging at anchor nicely