Bonuses for Solyndra employees?....

Fuk me, but we're doomed.....

Judge OKs bonuses for some Solyndra employees

Bloomberg News

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Paul Sakuma / AP

ENERGY

Bonuses OKd at Solyndra

A Delaware bankruptcy judge has approved close to $370,000 in bonuses for certain employees of Solyndra, the Fremont solar panel manufacturer that received a half-billion-dollar loan from the federal government before declaring bankruptcy.

The company wanted to award bonuses of up to $500,000 to as many as 21 employees but scaled back its request after discussions with its official creditors committee. The judge approved the revised bonus request following a hearing Wednesday.

Solyndra, which has failed to find a buyer to operate the company as a going concern, says it needs to retain key employees with the expertise needed for an orderly liquidation of its remaining assets.

Attorneys for former Solyndra workers laid off just before the bankruptcy filing objected to the proposed bonuses.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/22/BUIG1NALKK.DTL#ixzz1nB9oOj7d

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
That's only like $18,000 each. Do you know how little $18,000 will get you today? Well?

ph34r.gif

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida
The republican Judge probably had waht he considered to be good reason for agreeing to the bonuses.

You're probably correct----'cuz now Obama looks like a professional dip shit, 'stead of just an amateur dip shit.....

Ben
If that made you mad this will drive you insane.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/fannie-mae-freddie-mac-spent-100-million-on-former-executives-legal-bills/2012/02/22/gIQArSuATR_story.html

mikewof

mikewof
Aside ... a few more solar BKs coming, the US companies are being murdered by the government-backed Chinese companies, selling PV at cost.

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida
Aside ... a few more solar BKs coming, the US companies are being murdered by the government-backed Chinese companies, selling PV at cost.

In 2009 to sell his stimulus, Obama said these things

"To finally spark the creation of a clean energy economy, we will double the production of alternative energy in the next three years"

"we will put Americans to work in new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced"

"jobs building solar panels and wind turbines; constructing fuel-efficient cars"

It boggles my mind trying to comprehend why Obama does not understand that the Chinese can make them cheaper.

craigiri

Super Anarchist
Sarasota - W. MA.

"To finally spark the creation of a clean energy economy, we will double the production of alternative energy in the next three years"

"we will put Americans to work in new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced"
Well, if we had decent trade policies this woud be true. I think some of the bills that the GOP and Chamber of Commerce would not sign onto specifically targeted such things.....but the "free market" of Commie Chinese subsidies prevailed.

The resource extractors love this stuff. They've fucked with the alt energy biz - along with their friends, the Saudis - for decades.

Did anyone notice who paid for the CNN debate last night? I saw the coal companies, the oil companies, etc.....

mikewof

mikewof

"jobs building solar panels and wind turbines; constructing fuel-efficient cars"

It boggles my mind trying to comprehend why Obama does not understand that the Chinese can make them cheaper.
We can make them cheaper and better and we control the direction of the most important I.P..

But we are a nation partly controlled by technological regressives and a vast majority of people without the requisite background to differentiate junk science from real.

Our solar program was already underfunded compared to China's $40 billion/year program and most people in the U.S. don't understand the nature of economic warfare. When a relatively small failure of Solyndra hit investment sentiment turned against the U.S. PV industry and China jumped on the chance to twist the knife by selling their modules at cost.

We were doomed from the start. If even an MIT-educated engineer like you thinks things like nuclear energy has a brighter future than solar, what chance does genuinely advanced technology like PV have to convince its worth (and thus government investment) to Eddy the restaurant manager?

I don't mean to be rude Jack, I know you can understand this stuff. The difficult part if that our energy and industrial economy is partly dictated and controlled by people without the requisite background. Could you imagine if economic decisions were made by people with little or no background in finance and banking? Yet because we are populated by a nation of people able to flip a switch our policy is too often built around a desire to keep them happy regardless the societal cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy Jack

Super Anarchist
Florida

We can make them cheaper and better and we control the direction of the most important I.P..

But we are a nation partly controlled by technological regressives and a vast majority of people without the requisite background to differentiate junk science from real.

Our solar program was already underfunded compared to China's $40 billion/year program and most people in the U.S. don't understand the nature of economic warfare. When a relatively small failure of Solyndra hit investment sentiment turned against the U.S. PV industry and China jumped on the chance to twist the knife by selling their modules at cost.

We were doomed from the start. If even an MIT-educated engineer like you thinks things like nuclear energy has a brighter future than solar, what chance does genuinely advanced technology like PV have to convince its worth (and thus government investment) to Eddy the restaurant manager?

I don't mean to be rude Jack, I know you can understand this stuff. The difficult part if that our energy and industrial economy is partly dictated and controlled by people without the requisite background. Could you imagine if economic decisions were made by people with little or no background in finance and banking? Yet because we are populated by a nation of people able to flip a switch our policy is too often built around a desire to keep them happy regardless the societal cost.
I'm not anti solar. Far from it. I've been working for 6 years to install a 1 megawatt solar plant on my own property (unsuccessful). The only way it pays is if A ) the government subsidizes the capital cost B ) they legislate high PPA rates and C ) they continue to give tax credits to power companies for greening.

I remember my first solar cells. I bought then down on Canal street in 1967. They were postage stamp sized and I made a battery eliminator for a Sony transistor radio as an 8th grade science project.

mikewof

mikewof

I'm not anti solar. Far from it. I've been working for 6 years to install a 1 megawatt solar plant on my own property (unsuccessful). The only way it pays is if A ) the government subsidizes the capital cost B ) they legislate high PPA rates and C ) they continue to give tax credits to power companies for greening.

I remember my first solar cells. I bought then down on Canal street in 1967. They were postage stamp sized and I made a battery eliminator for a Sony transistor radio as an 8th grade science project.
I understand that you've been working on that for a while, but I remember you were holding the pv to an unfair standard. On a large installation you can compare the total cost per watt, but on a small installation like 1 MW you need to consider maintenance, opportunity.cost of the land, etc. in a more careful way. Your $3/watt installed pv might be the most cost competitive option depending on how you value your own labor. If you could make $100/hr doing engineering that you would need to spend doing periodic maintenance to a small hydro generator, then it is unlikely anything on your hobby farm could compete with a maintenance-free rooftop solar array that doesn't steal attention from your cash crops or require time.that would otherwise go to your engineering.

As an aside, almost all of those electronics stores on Canal are gone. They were a blast though, never knew what you could find there ... boxes.of broken.geiger counters next to boxes of thyristors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
My guess is that most of the Solyndra employees still around work very hard. Unfortunately they still need to keep the better workers around in order to shut down everything and get the assets of the company sold for the highest price.

Maybe the bonus payments should come out of the salaries of the idiots in the Dept. of Energy and other parts of the Government who approved the loans to this company in the first place. These people put money into a dog company and they should have to pay the price.

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist
My guess is that most of the Solyndra employees still around work very hard. Unfortunately they still need to keep the better workers around in order to shut down everything and get the assets of the company sold for the highest price.

Maybe the bonus payments should come out of the salaries of the idiots in the Dept. of Energy and other parts of the Government who approved the loans to this company in the first place. These people put money into a dog company and they should have to pay the price.
They work hard alright - destroying millions in brand new "cutting edge" PV tubes

They work hard alright - destroying millions in brand new "cutting edge" PV tubes

'We had to destroy the P/V plant, in order to save it'.......

Latest posts