Boom Bale Hole Repair

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Scuffed up the outside, scuffed up the inside (Dremel taped to a stick, with flappy wheel). Epoxy 1/16th G10 sheet to the inside. Fill with epoxy loaded with filler on the outside. Waiting for it to properly harden - will sand and see what I have tomorrow.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Keeping the strops in place is one thing you have to solve. Padeyes, lashings, something - they won't stay put on their own. 

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Keeping the strops in place is one thing you have to solve. Padeyes, lashings, something - they won't stay put on their own. 
Yeah - pressing the "easy-button" would be to screw a small padeye to the top of the boom. Neater and nicer would be to screw a padeye into the track so that it's mostly hidden. I have seen another solution where a piece of dyneema is threaded through the boom - trapped on the top by a small piece of stainless rod. It looks really neat, but I worry about hidden chafe and also fouling the outhaul.

mgs

canoeman
maine
Not too sure about this tack, but I wonder if you could use a couple of the harken gizmos or some other type fitting. The enlarged hole might cover the current oblonged ones, one on each side, maybe a spacer might be needed for the thickness but the thing would be held to the boom by thread compression. Could then run dyneema with spliced eyes through it to the block. 

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Boom looking very spiffy in its yellow ochre zinc primer. I'm planning to spray some regular grey primer over the top to fill scratches and imperfections. The paint says "thin with Xylene", which I can't get in the People's Republic of California. What to use instead?

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
Boom looking very spiffy in its yellow ochre zinc primer. I'm planning to spray some regular grey primer over the top to fill scratches and imperfections. The paint says "thin with Xylene", which I can't get in the People's Republic of California. What to use instead?
WTF kind of paint are you using? xylene & toulene are the fastest evaporating solvents. They use it in spray paint & carb cleaner. 

Acetone is very fast as well. Everything else is slow. Do they allow acetone in Cali?

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
WTF kind of paint are you using? xylene & toulene are the fastest evaporating solvents. They use it in spray paint & carb cleaner. 

Acetone is very fast as well. Everything else is slow. Do they allow acetone in Cali?
Yeah - we can get Acetone. Paint is TotalBoat 2- or -1 pack primer. They say it's not for Aluminum, but I already sprayed Zinc Chromate on it, so the paint won't see any Aluminum, only Zinc Chromate.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Which paint primer are you using?

https://www.totalboat.com/product/2-part-epoxy-primer/
Thinning: TotalBoat Epoxy Primer Thinner 200 

https://www.totalboat.com/product/aluminum-boat-barrier-coat-primer/
Thinner/Reducer: TotalBoat Epoxy Primer Thinner 20

https://www.totalboat.com/product/clear-epoxy-primer/
Thinning: TotalBoat Epoxy Primer Thinner 200

And the Thinner 200 =

https://www.totalboat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/520415_TotalBoat_Epoxy_Primer_Thinner_200_SDS.pdf

image.png

So... I'd thin with isopropyl alcohol 10-15% if you can't get Xylene. Lots of paint strippers contain both xylene and toluene but maybe not in CA.

It's commonly used to thin epoxies but don't go nuts with the percentage.

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
That's interesting. Awlgrip 545 spray reducer is alcohols, glycol, benzene, and butyl acetate. The brushing is only glycol.  

Don't worry...all of them are carcinogenic

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
who makes your strops
I'm going to try using a climbing sling. Someone else mentioned that climbing hardware does not have the longevity needed for sailing, but they are so cheap. Worth a try IMHO. Bluewater ropes does some beefy spectra slings with high breaking strain.

My main problem now is figuring out how to secure them to the boom (sliding). Options are to fashion something that jams in the bolt rope slot, or just screw something to the top of the boom. Thinking...

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Something like this -  image.png

But that still has the problem of how to secure it from sliding... I have seen others screw right through the strop, but that's kinda ghetto. Ideas?

Latest posts