Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
So this, maybe...

image.png

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I'm struggling with the spray pattern for the Total Boat primer. It says "thin up to 20%" - so I did that and it's pretty runny, but the spray gun seems to be failing to atomize the paint. I have to turn the flow right down to a small patch, which is more or less circular rather than a fan. I've been friggin with flow rates and air pressure, but my sense is that it just needs more thinning. Does "bad shit" happen if I go to say, 30%?

BobJ

Super Anarchist
You already did all that work before I saw this.

I had the same issue on my J/92 with the holes from the old rope vang bail (replaced with a QuickVang).  The holes were in a more sensitive spot and for the reasons Zonker stated above, I didn't want to have them welded.  Nan Hall sent me a couple Hall Spars stickers.  Covered the holes and it looked (mostly) like a new boom.  It held up fine for 16 years.  And I have two more stickers...

I hope your boys are doing well and still sailing.  3BF?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
You already did all that work before I saw this.

I had the same issue on my J/92 with the holes from the old rope vang bail (replaced with a QuickVang).  The holes were in a more sensitive spot and for the reasons Zonker stated above, I didn't want to have them welded.  Nan Hall sent me a couple Hall Spars stickers.  Covered the holes and it looked (mostly) like a new boom.  It held up fine for 16 years.  And I have two more stickers...

I hope your boys are doing well and still sailing.  3BF?
I think I broke them for sailing when we did the Farrallons a couple of years ago. We came in second, but it was "sporty" enough to need a reef on the way out (first time ever reefing the boat, quite an adventure), and I hurled over the back of the boat, which impressed them quite a bit. I think they decided that sailing is for idiots, plus they committed to football. Older one is going to Virginia Tech in the fall but they are pretty good and despite being a conference first team RB, I don't think he will get any snaps. He may come back to sailing when he settles down, wherever that ends up being. The younger one is also committed to football (he's 6'4" and 210 lbs at 16 years old, and still growing). Smart, enormous and excellent offensive line. Anyway, not good for foredeck any more.

Boat is at KKMI getting new topsides and bottom. I'm saving money doing the prod and boom myself - hence all the questions.  Won't be ready for 3BF.

BobJ

Super Anarchist
I remember trying to find a race shirt small enough for one of them!  That sounds great.  Maybe they'll meet girls who sail and then they'll be all over it.

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I remember trying to find a race shirt small enough for one of them!  That sounds great.  Maybe they'll meet girls who sail and then they'll be all over it.
Yeah - that's one of my best memories - winning our class at the 3BF and sending the 6 year old up at the awards wearing an adult small shirt with the hem trailing along the floor. I'm pretty sure that when he said "clockwise" to the "which direction" question, he let slip that the only reason we won is because we went the wrong way so that we would not hit anyone at the start, and the wrong way paid that year. What folks didn't hear was what he announced when he returned to the back of the room: "I don't need to go sailing any more because I've mastered it". I snorted beer through my nose and needed help.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I had to go back and look at some pictures but on my Elliott the webbing was pop-riveted to the mast on the top left and right sides.

image.png

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
This TotalBoat primer is hard as nails. I sprayed on 3 coats - not exactly "orange peel", more like "ploughed field", but hey-ho, I'll sand a bunch of it off anyway. Bad idea - it's really, really hard. I started with 380 grit wet, nope. Moved to some 220, nope. 160 wet is also hard going, but I don't want to go any coarser. Ideas?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The single most common mistake people make in paint prep is to start with too fine a grade of paper.

80 is generally the finest I start with.

If I'm sanding filler I usually start with at least a scuff with 60 to break the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
80. THEN 120 or 160.

Did you leave it cure for a few days before sanding?...
I left it 24 hours, but it's pretty cool outside and I did notice that it was leaving deposits on the paper. Anyway, now that the weekend's over it will have to wait for Saturday, so it will get a full 7 days of cure before I hit it with the grit next time. Maybe I can sand, blow some more over any fuckups or bare spots on Saturday and blow topcoat on Sunday.