Boss Sinking?

Interesting latest update says the boat was rolled by a rogue wave while hove to - resulting in taking on a ton of water and "sustained damage" to the rig, hence the abandoned boat. The report goes on to say the wave while large should not have capsized the boat - no kidding. Wonder if its a case of cutting out too much lead and too high of a reliance on the foils.

frozenhawaiian

Super Anarchist
Portland, Maine
Interesting latest update says the boat was rolled by a rogue wave while hove to - resulting in taking on a ton of water and "sustained damage" to the rig, hence the abandoned boat. The report goes on to say the wave while large should not have capsized the boat - no kidding. Wonder if its a case of cutting out too much lead and too high of a reliance on the foils.
they seemed pretty confident that they would be able to recover the boat. I hope that they do and I'm very curious to see what's broken/how and what the designers and builders have to say about it

they seemed pretty confident that they would be able to recover the boat. I hope that they do and I'm very curious to see what's broken/how and what the designers and builders have to say about it
I am sure they can recover it. The boat is not taking on water, the water that is in the boat came in the back hatch when it rolled, so with the hatch closed now, the situation should at least be "stable".

staysail

Super Anarchist
I am sure they can recover it. The boat is not taking on water, the water that is in the boat came in the back hatch when it rolled, so with the hatch closed now, the situation should at least be "stable".
Why wouldn't they pump the bilge or bail it out before leaving it then? Much less damage would result, e.g to electrical and mechanical systems, if its not abandonned half full of seawater. Maybe it has hull damage right through the skin and is being kept afloat by watertight bulkheads and empty water ballast tanks?

They must have had hull damage that allowed an ingress of water too severe to be just pumped out. With all the water sloshing around the boat becomes very unstable and can be rolled easier regardless of inherent stability. We know they had BIG issues way before the "capsize" jugging by the tracker, HB logged 3 kts for many hours they must have been trying to stabilize the situation. Definitely missing some big detail though.

Buckie Lugger

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The boat looks like it's listing to starboard in the video. My guess is that the keel is canted over to keep the port side out of the water. If the foil on that side has been lost then there might be damage, so they might be trying to avoid further ingress.

pulpit

Super Anarchist
Video shows what looks like Alex to be the first to be airlifted out.. Could be me but ??something looks off .... Maybe other factors were in play...
Funny that you say that as that's what I was thinking as well.

I was once on a boat that we had to abandon late at night and the skipper was the first one off and I waited till all the crew were safe before I left the boat and I was rescued. It's called Duty of care and good seamanship.

It's very poor form I think for the skipper/ captain to be rescued first and leave the crew. What ever happened to the captan / skipper going down with the ship or being the last one rescued ?

I hope that it was the way it was edited that made it look this way that Alex was off first.

Pulpit

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Video shows what looks like Alex to be the first to be airlifted out.. Could be me but ??something looks off .... Maybe other factors were in play...
Funny that you say that as that's what I was thinking as well.

I was once on a boat that we had to abandon late at night and the skipper was the first one off and I waited till all the crew were safe before I left the boat and I was rescued. It's called Duty of care and good seamanship.

It's very poor form I think for the skipper/ captain to be rescued first and leave the crew. What ever happened to the captan / skipper going down with the ship or being the last one rescued ?

I hope that it was the way it was edited that made it look this way that Alex was off first.

Pulpit
That's just dumb. There are two people onboard. Both perfectly capable. Do you really think they gave 1 millisecond of thought to "you go first. No you go first." This isn't 18th century military. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. There are plenty of interesting details here. Who jumped first isn't one of them.

uhm... I think before jumping to conclusions about what the captain did when, where and why, some of you armchair captains should wait for just some small bits of validated facts to come on the table before passing judgement. :mellow:

staysail

Super Anarchist
I have been trying to understand what really went on on Hugo Boss, mainly because I remembered thinking the track was a bit odd for a boat retiring and seeking shelter for repairs. The boat turned totally about-face no less than 4 times before the crew were taken off. That is hardly normal. My first thought at the time was that they were just "hanging around", not wanting to reach port before their shore team were present to assist them in docking and to shield them from unwanted attention. Playing back the track on the tracker with the wind function working though, one can see the course changes look like just the response of a badly damaged boat to the weather conditions which must have been pretty unfriendly, with that new low forming so suddenly right by them. Reports from other nearby boats suggest that maximum wind speeds could possibly have been double what a grid based weather file would be indicating, and waves would have been "unusual" to say the least, with so many wind direction changes. After whatever it was that happened on the afternoon of the 28th, a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and with no way of predicting what was about to happen?

The timeline of their last couple of days, based on the official website tracker, was as below, with a simplified track shown from Universal Tracker.

28th, 1430 Boss track first becomes inconsistent with racing, boat turns to NorthEast, wind SW 25 kts. Boat continues going NE, N, and NE again with wind decreasing and veering to W, until, with wind W 16 kts :-

29th, 0530 boat turns to SE moving at around 5 to 6 kts, and continues on a ESE course turning gradually more Easterly and at about 8 kts, as wind backs towards South all in range 15 to 20 kts. Next abrupt change occurs at :-

30th, 1130 when boat turns 180 degrees when at about 100 miles from Spanish coast, and turns away from Spain and moves in direction just North of West at 4 to 5 knots as wind rather quickly increased to 25 - 30 kts from South. The wind then started decreasing and boat continued to move NNW until midnight, by when the wind had veered again to SW and decreased to 13 knots. Next abrupt change was:-

31st, 0005 Boat turns 180 degrees again and moves in direction ESE, at low speeds, (0 - 4 kts) as wind has decreased again (12 kts) and veered to SW, then WSW. Next event is at:-

31st, 0600 Wind veers from WSW to NNE and increases quickly from 12 knots to 24 knots and boat is gradually turning towards South at around 6 knots.

31st, 1030 wind still NNE, 22 kts, boat heading S at 6 kts and curving round gradually to SSW.

31st, 1215 wind veers right round to SSE and increases to between 30 and 35 knots. Boat turns to ENE at 5 knots. At this time a new local depression has just formed with centre 110 miles WNW from Cape Finistere and 50 miles WSW from the boat. At this time the boat was just 70 miles from the closest rias on the Spanish coast. Boat continues to move ENE for a further 20 miles until:-

[SIZE=11pt]31st, 2126 when website track ends with boat moving NNE at 1 knot in 25 knots of wind from ESE. Last position 80 miles from Spanish coast between Finistere and Coruna.[/SIZE]

staysail

Super Anarchist
I have been trying to understand what really went on on Hugo Boss, mainly because I remembered thinking the track was a bit odd for a boat retiring and seeking shelter for repairs. The boat turned totally about-face no less than 4 times before the crew were taken off. That is hardly normal. My first thought at the time was that they were just "hanging around", not wanting to reach port before their shore team were present to assist them in docking and to shield them from unwanted attention. Playing back the track on the tracker with the wind function working though, one can see the course changes look like just the response of a badly damaged boat to the weather conditions which must have been pretty unfriendly, with that new low forming so suddenly right by them. Reports from other nearby boats suggest that maximum wind speeds could possibly have been double what a grid based weather file would be indicating, and waves would have been "unusual" to say the least, with so many wind direction changes. After whatever it was that happened on the afternoon of the 28th, a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and with no way of predicting what was about to happen?

The timeline of their last couple of days, based on the official website tracker, was as below, with a simplified track shown from Universal Tracker.

28th, 1430 Boss track first becomes inconsistent with racing, boat turns to NorthEast, wind SW 25 kts. Boat continues going NE, N, and NE again with wind decreasing and veering to W, until, with wind W 16 kts :-

29th, 0530 boat turns to SE moving at around 5 to 6 kts, and continues on a ESE course turning gradually more Easterly and at about 8 kts, as wind backs towards South all in range 15 to 20 kts. Next abrupt change occurs at :-

30th, 1130 when boat turns 180 degrees when at about 100 miles from Spanish coast, and turns away from Spain and moves in direction just North of West at 4 to 5 knots as wind rather quickly increased to 25 - 30 kts from South. The wind then started decreasing and boat continued to move NNW until midnight, by when the wind had veered again to SW and decreased to 13 knots. Next abrupt change was:-

31st, 0005 Boat turns 180 degrees again and moves in direction ESE, at low speeds, (0 - 4 kts) as wind has decreased again (12 kts) and veered to SW, then WSW. Next event is at:-

31st, 0600 Wind veers from WSW to NNE and increases quickly from 12 knots to 24 knots and boat is gradually turning towards South at around 6 knots.

31st, 1030 wind still NNE, 22 kts, boat heading S at 6 kts and curving round gradually to SSW.

31st, 1215 wind veers right round to SSE and increases to between 30 and 35 knots. Boat turns to ENE at 5 knots. At this time a new local depression has just formed with centre 110 miles WNW from Cape Finistere and 50 miles WSW from the boat. At this time the boat was just 70 miles from the closest rias on the Spanish coast. Boat continues to move ENE for a further 20 miles until:-

[SIZE=11pt]31st, 2126 when website track ends with boat moving NNE at 1 knot in 25 knots of wind from ESE. Last position 80 miles from Spanish coast between Finistere and Coruna.[/SIZE]

Boss track.jpg

mad

Super Anarchist
uhm... I think before jumping to conclusions about what the captain did when, where and why, some of you armchair captains should wait for just some small bits of validated facts to come on the table before passing judgement. :mellow:
But this is SA, we don't deal in validated facts round here.