Bow navigation light ID

mikegt4

ohio
I have been tracking down persistent leaks in my Farr 740 Sport, just about have them all fixed and every one has been because the PO apparently did not believe in bedding deck hardware. The LED bow lights are no exception, poor installation. In this case the PO drilled through the rub rail/flange and jammed the LED light through the hole sans any sealant. It is so tight that I will most likely destroy the light getting it out. Having searched the net for a replacement I have been unable to ID the manufacturer or the source of a replacement. Can anyone ID this light?

The mounting plate is about 3-3/8" long (85mm) and the lens diameter is about 1/2" (12mm).

thanks in advance,
mike

IMG_20220621_140529371.jpg

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
Yeah, that's just wrong.

There are very explicit requirements for how a bow light shows (by memory, from ahead to two points abaft the beam).

I suggest removing those lights and installing a simple bow light. Something like this is pretty standard:

1655901873237.png

If you insist on the side lights, they should look like this:

1655901940826.png

GMiller

Anarchist
Eastern NC
Surprisingly, they actually can be legal, at least here in the states.

mikegt4

ohio
It looks like GMiller has it, the light in the banner of the supplied link appears to be it. They actually have a arc degree similar to USCG specs. The original lights were on the pulpit but the internal wire chase has been destroyed sometime during the boat's 40+ year life.
BTW, there is no room for a deck mounted bow light.

IMG_20220622_164845522_HDR.jpg

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Surprisingly, they actually can be legal, at least here in the states.
IF you pay very close attention to the arc of the lights.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
I have been tracking down persistent leaks in my Farr 740 Sport, just about have them all fixed and every one has been because the PO apparently did not believe in bedding deck hardware. The LED bow lights are no exception, poor installation. In this case the PO drilled through the rub rail/flange and jammed the LED light through the hole sans any sealant. It is so tight that I will most likely destroy the light getting it out. Having searched the net for a replacement I have been unable to ID the manufacturer or the source of a replacement. Can anyone ID this light?

The mounting plate is about 3-3/8" long (85mm) and the lens diameter is about 1/2" (12mm).

thanks in advance,
mike

View attachment 524546
hahahahahahahaha, that aint right.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
It looks like GMiller has it, the light in the banner of the supplied link appears to be it. They actually have a arc degree similar to USCG specs. The original lights were on the pulpit but the internal wire chase has been destroyed sometime during the boat's 40+ year life.
BTW, there is no room for a deck mounted bow light.

View attachment 524809
similar doesn't cut it. If i'm using that boat at night, I want my nav lights conveying exactly the right arc to the other idiots around me. "close" isn't good enough when trying to judge a crossing or an intercept point. .. but hey, it's your boat, do what ya want. just don't be out at night anywhere near me ;) On that boat, I think I'd prefer something on the pulpit, probably easier to install one wire new to a single bulb fitting than trying to salvage the old wire chase. Good luck.

ooops.. sorry, misread the part about the original chase in your first post. Is that the original pulpit? got a pic of where the original fittin was on it?

mikegt4

ohio
It is the original pulpit, you can see the mounting pad for the original lights at the front of the lower horizontal rail.

As far as my use of nav lights, never have used them, don't think I will ever need to. I sail on a small 800 acre lake in a state park. The wind, what there is of it, is gone by 6pm so I go home. Sleeping on the boat is illegal in the park even when at your dock so there is no need to be on the boat after dark. The county sheriff safety checks boats on occasion, if you have lights they all must work, they don't measure the arc. My interest is stopping the leak that the PO left me with and still have the light work just in case I get checked by the sheriff.