Break-up Value (Melges 40)

McGyver

Anarchist
San Diego
Please excuse my ignorance, but why is a four year old One Design boat obsolete?  Gives a whole new meaning to Planned Obsolescence.

Gorn FRANTIC!!

Super Anarchist
Why the fuck would you buy a boat like this and scrap it? The hull won't be toast, neither would the rig & deck gear.

Yes, sails will probably need an update but if you're not racing it at OD/MedCup level you're not going to be needing a new set of 3Di Raw gear every 12 months. So go buy a set of Straits Ice from Doyle and enjoy racing with your mates at club level and local regattas. Sure it will be technical and tweaks as all shit, but half the fun is learning how to make a boat like this perform to it's potential. 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
This thread doesn't make sense other than to remind us there are plenty of weird arse people out there who don't make sense.!  :wub:

Pollination

EC
Donate ...or fix it..many can fix things that the team claims will cost 100K...for a fraction if they are handy. Make it a garage rocket and go have some fun. 

RATM

Anarchist
Whoever the original poster is, they might just be taking a cute little passive-aggressive dig at the Melges 40.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Don't forget to factor in all the work needed to remove everything and prep it for sale, and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell. Both of those non trivial I suspect.
I've done enough deck refit projects to know that the deck hardware comes off easy, I can do a 45 foot boat with one other person in a day.  It's getting things back on that is time consuming, if you do it right anyway.

See Level

Working to overcome my inner peace
Buy a Melges 40, your trophy wife sleeps with the Bowman, you break up.

Melges 40 value... 50%

Am I missing anything, I didn't really read through the thread :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Itsabimmerthing

Anarchist
Europe
What happened to the rest of the hulls? Few went to NZ but there must still be quite a few hiding somewhere in the sheds?

I could consider picking up one if the price is right. Maybe. I need a project.

How many hulls were build?

Last edited:

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
What happened to the rest of the hulls? Few went to NZ but there must still be quite a few hiding somewhere in the sheds?

I could consider picking up one if the price is right. Maybe. I need a project.

How many hulls were build?

AFAIK only 5 hulls were built and I think 4 have gone to NZ and one (the ex RUS Synergy/Dynamic team) went to somewhere in eastern Med/Europe area and was getting a fucking thrashing trying to race under handicap (canting keel and a canard). Not sure if it's still sailing or parked in a shed.

There was a lot of drama behind the scenes (sometimes not behind) with this class but the TLDR version, as I understand it, was; cool design, good to sail, questionable build quality, terrible class management and some owners got properly screwed.

It's good to see the boats re-launch in NZ as a small class but not sure how one would play out as a club racer - the keel and canard system likley adds a lot of extra complexity and maintenance compared to other Melges and sportsboats...

CPJ555

Melbourne
AFAIK only 5 hulls were built and I think 4 have gone to NZ and one (the ex RUS Synergy/Dynamic team) went to somewhere in eastern Med/Europe area and was getting a fucking thrashing trying to race under handicap (canting keel and a canard). Not sure if it's still sailing or parked in a shed.

There was a lot of drama behind the scenes (sometimes not behind) with this class but the TLDR version, as I understand it, was; cool design, good to sail, questionable build quality, terrible class management and some owners got properly screwed.

It's good to see the boats re-launch in NZ as a small class but not sure how one would play out as a club racer - the keel and canard system likley adds a lot of extra complexity and maintenance compared to other Melges and sportsboats...

Latest posts