Breaking up is easy to do

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Seems we take the strength of our beachball cruisers for granted.

This wouldn’t have happened if  the captain made the right choice and gone with a Brent boat.

5CDA2065-0B7A-4F26-BD9F-5AA3E99AA47F.png

228E6C3F-6147-48CF-B929-28ACA4ECEFA7.jpeg

7CB9D2CF-2506-4D48-999E-B327EB9DF9F8.jpeg

Miffy

Super Anarchist
I was surprised how quickly it broke up also. Westsail 42s have a lot of glass in them. 
Most of the Anglo-American boat folklores about boats built oversized so they can survive everything is just cruiser conspiracy to prop up the market. 

You can ground a steel DDG and it’ll break up. Crash a steel DDG into ice and it’ll breach and sink without damage control. 

but cruisers with... an inch and half of glass or welded aluminum think they can survive anything. 

Perhaps overly stout for a boat, but not for a seawall. Represents a useless compromise: too heavy to sail, too light to survive.
I think that's a bit harsh. They go pretty well with 20kts+ of wind and track well enough to be easy on autopilots. Crossed the Pacific with a few in 2017 that we kept pace with but then I was on another boat you probably don't like, a Crealock 37. 

Horses for courses but sometime a brick shit house that almost sails itself isn't a bad option for shorthanded ocean crossings. 

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
The pic of the drivetrain And motor are the same boat. Awesome pic if a sad event.

The rest of the boat must have been as nice and well maintained. I haven’t seen an engine that clean in a long time

Too bad he caught the lines and lost the boat.

Last edited by a moderator: