Brexit WTF, WTF

RobbieW

UK
Such is the state of how awful the candidates are from all political parties in the UK, its tough supporting any of them. Having voted for 3 different parties in the past, maybe its time to vote for a 4th if ever a middle of the road party emerges wanting PR. I bet I'm not alone in thinking that.
I'd settle for a major party that was prepared to put PR in its manifesto, I'd vote for that

Reactions: cms

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
It is a fault line in British society, in culture, nationality, regions and between the generations. It is absolutely not a dead issue, nor is it fading away. But I agree that no political party sees mileage at present in picking at the festering scab that's been left.

The irony is the referendum was meant to heal the schism in the Conservative Party. That hasn't exactly worked out either. Divided nation and shattered party.

Same fault lines exist in much of Europe, France , Germany, Spain, Italy and Holland for example where the status quo has been challenged by hard left and hard right. What is fascinating is UK actually has not had major incursions from outside the main left/right parties of Labour and Tories. The anti-establishment & anti-EU vote is strong in many member states

Vast majority of people I speak to don't consider Brexit a relevant issue today. There is little appetite to re-open the discussion.

Tory divisions are more about centre (even centre-left) vs centre-right. Boris turned into a big state spend-a-holic. Brexit not much of an issue really

This podcast featuring top political professor Matt Goodwin is worth watching/listening to

Triggernomitry

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Found this again, ....from back in march 2019

1665368815678.png

Vast majority of people I speak to don't consider Brexit a relevant issue today. There is little appetite to re-open the discussion.

Those are two very different things you are conflating: IMHO, people think Brexit is very much a relevant issue and it's impacts are still building.
There is little appetite to re-open discussions because positions are entrenched and the topic is toxic. Unless you are very confident that the people you are with share your views it is rude to raise the subject- can you think of a topic more likely to ruin a dinner with colleagues (or new friends/relatives)?

Tory divisions are more about centre (even centre-left) vs centre-right.

Centre? You forgot the irony font. Tories left the centre after 2015 and have been moving ever further right since. A brief public spending splurge doesn't make them left wing.

Those are two very different things you are conflating: IMHO, people think Brexit is very much a relevant issue and it's impacts are still building.
There is little appetite to re-open discussions because positions are entrenched and the topic is toxic. Unless you are very confident that the people you are with share your views it is rude to raise the subject- can you think of a topic more likely to ruin a dinner with colleagues (or new friends/relatives)?
But only the really hard line Remainers still persist in raising the issue, most people I know who voted remain have accepted the democratic decision and moved on. We could do with a few here on this thread perhaps admitting that there is no going back and moving on with their lives.
Tories left the centre after 2015 and have been moving ever further right since
Aren't you confusing a different economic outlook on how say the Conservatives would like to see lower taxes and less state intervention in everyones day to day lives with say a Labour government who would like to see greater taxation and greater state interventions as left wing and right wing. Much of Boris's libertarian views were no different than Keirs in some ways and yet you are prepared to label the Conservatives as Right Wing and not say the Labour Party of Blairs

But only the really hard line Remainers still persist in raising the issue

Well, that rather proves the point, doesn't it? The silent majority don't bring it up so that they don't cause offense.
, most people I know who voted remain have accepted the democratic decision and moved on.

You keep saying it, still doesn't make it true.
We could do with a few here on this thread perhaps admitting that there is no going back and moving on with their lives.
The damage can't be undone, true, we will never get the terms that were in place when we left but it's pretty obvious that our best hope for the future is to reintegrate with the EU, on the best terms that we can and as soon as is practical.
Aren't you confusing a different economic outlook on how say the Conservatives would like to see lower taxes and less state intervention in everyones day to day lives with say a Labour government who would like to see greater taxation and greater state interventions as left wing and right wing. Much of Boris's libertarian views were no different than Keirs in some ways and yet you are prepared to label the Conservatives as Right Wing and not say the Labour Party of Blairs
No, I'm not.

...and I have never said that I would not label the "Labour Party of Blairs" as right wing (or anything else for that matter).

When was it Have you stopped beating your children wife, Wayne?

Edit- corrected the reference for clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: cms
The damage can't be undone, true, we will never get the terms that were in place when we left but it's pretty obvious that our best hope for the future is to reintegrate with the EU, on the best terms that we can and as soon as is practical.
Just listened to Wee Nanny Nicholas key conference speech, talk about being on magic mushrooms. Almost a total propaganda speech on how the SNP are going to get the job done and the rest whining about the Tories. Where was the actual detail on how she was going to do it ?