Brexit WTF, WTF

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
There are days like today when my life and livelihood have been royally fucked up by Jambo and Whyne. Fuck you bastards.

Get over yourself you privileged wanker.

The European Union has devastated millions of lives not only in the EU (Greece, Italy etc) but outside such as poor farmers in African who have seen their livelihoods destroyed by EU's dumping of dried milk products.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Worth noting that one of the primary reasons we have such big idiots at the top just now is... brexit! (see earlier posts in this thread).

We are seeing the actuality of our leaving the EU right now. Your contention is that it will be better in the long run. Most posters here think you are wrong.

That's deflection again- they might be bigger effects but Brexit was sold as being positive. It should have offset the negatives, if it was delivering benefits, but in actuality has made things even worse.

For the record, and clarity, I'm UK based: I think I've mentioned this before. Also worth noting that readership of this thread is, and always has been, much higher than the writership.

What actuality of Brexit ? On balance the impacts have been positive. The vast majority of people haven't really noticed we've left ... which is my opinion is a negative. We should have removed VAT on gas and electricity immediately for example a really noticeable impact.

There are days like today when my life and livelihood have been royally fucked up by Jambo and Whyne. Fuck you bastards.
Spit it out, why so ?

But do bear in mind you have chosen to live in France by choice for the greater part of your life. In doing so we English might not be as sympathetic as you would like as France has not been that conducive to the U.K.‘s wealth of its citizens.

Sailabout

Super Anarchist
Lots of people voted out so the Uk could get control of immigration but that didnt seem to change anything.
They needed the Australian navy to fix that for them.Legislation that says arrive by boat and you never get permanent status etc etc.

LeoV has been quiet, was he one of the six humans who participated in the EU’s metaverse on its gala opening.

Costing a mere 400k, was it money well spent, simply just another EU propaganda failure or actually people were just not interested in this sort of media platform which according to the advertising blurb, The event’s target audience, was 18-35 year olds “who identify as neutral about the EU and are not particularly engaged in political issues”.

I thought Facebook, Tiktok, and about a dozen other media sites filled that brief but then I guess they don’t have EU approval nor control over.

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
What actuality of Brexit ? On balance the impacts have been positive. The vast majority of people haven't really noticed we've left ... which is my opinion is a negative. We should have removed VAT on gas and electricity immediately for example a really noticeable impact.
Nonsense.
They created a ministry for Brexit opportunities, headed by the most fervent of believers. And he came up with absolutely nothing. Not one actual benefit.

It simply is not remotely credible to claim that Brexit is beneficial to the uk.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Nice new legislation in the EU has been passed. Both primarily dealing with a future trade war with the UK. Not that the UK press noticed.

Brexit was probably just about an overall good from an EU perspective, despite the downsides of reduced trade with the UK and financial disruption. It bonded the member states like nothing else could have and further, no one will ever leave again given the example Brexit set.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
This is about nitrogen pollution, primarily in ground- and surface-water. It is also a problem in some areas of the UK, notably the River Wye where several large-scale poultry units are causing severe nitrogen and phosphate pollution and consequent algal blooms. For those outside the UK, the River Wye and its valley is a beauty spot and heavily used for canoeing and similar. The UK does have law to deal with such pollution, at least in theory.

So not all about the nasty EU.

rask jente

Brexiters:
2016 Brexit will make us better off
2017 Brexit could make us better off
2018 Brexit could make us better off in 50 yrs
2019 Nobody said it wld make us better off
2020 We won't starve so we should be grateful
2021 It's Covid's fault
2022 It's Russia's & Remainers fault
Thought you might have added Ursula's little out burst whilst in Ireland.

" This country knows what it means to struggle for the right to exist,” Ms von der Leyen said. Today, another European nation is fighting for its independence ".

But then she went all coy when Rishi stepped up to the plate,
“I’m glad that today our talks with London are marked by a new, more pragmatic spirit because the European Union and the United Kingdom are still members of the same extended family, even if we no longer live in the same house,” she said.

“I can promise you that whenever the European Union sits down with our British friends, we will do so with ‘an honest heart and an open mind’ – to quote the great Irish band The Saw Doctors.

“By applying common sense and focusing on the issues that really matter in Northern Ireland, I believe we can make progress in resolving the practical issues surrounding the protocol.

I guess whilst the UK is keeping her derriere and that of Germany safe with all the UK arms being supplied to the Ukraine, rather than her promises and not a lot of substance on the battle ground, she has to be nice.

Just waiting for her visit to Scotland and Wales declaring them proud European nations.

For the football pundits.

1670268680501.png

Laser1

Super Anarchist
Westcountry
Thought you might have added Ursula's little out burst whilst in Ireland.
"Oh Whyne when are you going to get a bit of sense in your thinking rather than just try to points score"

I had a feeling it would be you with your blinkered views and ultra shallow mental capacity to fail to understand how international negotiations are conducted.

If it wasn't for the detente, patience, tolerance and understanding of the EU the last 6 years you and yours wouldn't have a pot to piss in.

Then again poke the bear enough that may still happen.

I had a feeling it would be you with your blinkered views and ultra shallow mental capacity to fail to understand how international negotiations are conducted.
Starting to get the impression that you have lost the plot and are reverting back to your childhood schoolyard days. And I had thought that you were just a tiny bit more intelligent than that.

Mind you, my mother used to always say, once childish insults are thrown, you have won.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Being in the Single Market would make zero difference to UK growth. Who says so ? That well known Brexiteer Kier Starmer …. The best bit of this intrview is how the lefty remainer BBC host can’t actually believe he said it

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
Being in the Single Market would make zero difference to UK growth. Who says so ? That well known Brexiteer Kier Starmer …. The best bit of this intrview is how the lefty remainer BBC host can’t actually believe he said it

You've gone for the headline there, not the actual point.

If you listen to the end of his answer (and the bit that quite unsurprisingly that source clipped out) you see that the point he's actually making is that to negotiate to go back in will result in years of uncertainty, and uncertainty hurts growth.

And that's really the main point. We have left we can't just "go back in". There isn't actually a way to quickly rejoin just the single market. To do so requires membership of the EEA, and Norway are fairly clear that they would block that. So to get "membership" of the single market would require years of asking and negotiating. And all the while investment would stall, as who's going to invest in the UK when you don't know what the rules are going to be in 5 years time?

The only way to get back what we have lost is to rejoin the EU in full. And that will not be a short term project. It is very unlikely that the EU would welcome us back until it was absolutely clear that there was very strong support in parliament for this. Which unfortunately is going to take at least a decade, whilst the public wake up to the fact that they were sold a pup.

He's absolutely right in one sense, that the best way forward from here is to negotiate a "better" trading relationship. And it's also absolutely clear that for that to happen there needs to be a different set of people in charge, without the absurd fixation on FoM, who can make sensible decisions on what the UK can compromise on in order to minimise the damage going forward. And who haven't just pissed the EU off with 5 years of lies and bullshit. The jury is out on if Starmer has the freedom to actually do that, or if he's still too scared of the "red wall" voters and their irrational hatred of foreigners.

But that will still result in something that isn't as good as what we had.

In a way, I applaud Starmer for playing the hand he's dealt rather than just saying that of course growth would be better if we hadn't left the EU. Unlike the Tories he does at least seem to have recognised both the limitations of the situation we find ourselves in (both domestically politically, and our terrible negotiating position with the EU) and also that we do need a new approach, as what we have very clearly is terrible.

And if you want another example of quite why we're so pissed off at you, here's a great example. The changes you have wrought on the country in the name of English exceptionalism are not like those that are made after every change of government, where they can be largely reversed at the next GE if the electorate wishes. You've baked this crap into the UK for at least a decade. That's a decade of lost opportunity, lost growth, lost international reputation.
And that will mean we'll forever fall back relative to the EU and other developed nations.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
EU unity :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So the EU Presidency (currently held by Czechs) recommended Bulgaria and Romania join the Schengen Zone. Holland and Austria vetoed that even after a mammoth session. Que heavy criticisms from German "you block what I want, so I block what you want"

EU corruption :mad::mad::mad:

In a surprise to absolutely no one various senior EU figures have been arrested on suspicion of taking huge bungs from Qatar in order to influence policy. Huge sums of cash seized by the police.