Brian Bennett's VX from the FP

If you've monitored the Viper640.org site you know there's been a tussle with Bennett and Rondar about getting production of the Viper back on US soil. This looks like Bennetts way around that obstacle.

tphil

It's not a Viper.

It is 19 ft long and Viperlike, but it will be a totally new one-design class.

In this economy and with the Viper selling so well, will it sink or swim ?

RockHead

Super Anarchist
Marblehead, MA
If you've monitored the Viper640.org site you know there's been a tussle with Bennett and Rondar about getting production of the Viper back on US soil. This looks like Bennetts way around that obstacle.
Really?

I haven't picked up on a tussle there at all, any particular threads I am missing.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but those issues are pretty well put to bed. There's no point in rehashing publicly.

Brian really wants to run a class his own way- from design and construction, to marketing, sales and class management. The VX is his means to attempt to do that. I think there will inevitably be some overlap vs. the Viper, but we expect and hope that the Viper and VX will be largely complementary, sort of as the Melges 24 & 20 are. If things go as expected, Brian should remain active and involved in the Viper class, while working to develop the VX into a viable one-design class.

There's really not been a contemporary 2-person sportie take off in the US or elsewhere, so he may have found a good niche if he can make it work. God knows it's not easy to launch a new class... I'm looking forward to sailing one.

ultaracer613um

Super Anarchist
Texas
I find myself in agreement with you Rock.. Viper640.org... whoever the hell you are now.

The VX will compliment the viper. In fact, it will get more people exposed to how much a sportboat can be. If you're just out of a 2-person dingy, it will appeal. Anyone coming off larger boat's or those who wish to sail with three - the Viper.

It's a K6 - sized viper and will appeal to that market.

Really?

I haven't picked up on a tussle there at all, any particular threads I am missing.
It's a bit more complicated than that, but those issues are pretty well put to bed. There's no point in rehashing publicly.

Brian really wants to run a class his own way- from design and construction, to marketing, sales and class management. The VX is his means to attempt to do that. I think there will inevitably be some overlap vs. the Viper, but we expect and hope that the Viper and VX will be largely complementary, sort of as the Melges 24 & 20 are. If things go as expected, Brian should remain active and involved in the Viper class, while working to develop the VX into a viable one-design class.

There's really not been a contemporary 2-person sportie take off in the US or elsewhere, so he may have found a good niche if he can make it work. God knows it's not easy to launch a new class... I'm looking forward to sailing one.

Jerryd

Anarchist
I don't get it? So what's wrong with the K6??

I find myself in agreement with you Rock.. Viper640.org... whoever the hell you are now.

The VX will compliment the viper. In fact, it will get more people exposed to how much a sportboat can be. If you're just out of a 2-person dingy, it will appeal. Anyone coming off larger boat's or those who wish to sail with three - the Viper.

It's a K6 - sized viper and will appeal to that market.

Really?

Schoonerman

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
Nothings wrong with the K6...it's a fun boat and is a growing fleet in Europe. There's only one enclave of K6's in the USA...American Yacht Club. That club is happy with the boat. I think they have 19-20 now. It's their club racer and has some luminaries in the sailing industry sailing it.

My take is Brian is taking his hull plan and offering two versions. A 'sport' and a 'super sport'. The difference being a double spreader, MH Kite on the super.

My guess is the sport is for the family sailor and the super sport for the racer/one-design.

K6 and VX look pretty different as of now. K6 is a rounder boat that is more dinghy like. Never sailed a VX. They haven't made the tooling yet and there is no prototype. That is coming soon though.

I wish Brian all the best of luck in his endeavor. Great guy and a fun sailor to have in the fleet.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
It's not a Viper.

It is 19 ft long and Viperlike, but it will be a totally new one-design class.

In this economy and with the Viper selling so well, will it sink or swim ?
Because we need another sub-20' boat to dilute the 20' sportboat market? Vipers, i550s, Shaw 650, Open 5.70 and 6.50, Melges 20, K6, and now a VX. Let's throw in the Elan 210 too.. I know I've missed a few. Right - the U20! Personally I find the whole 20'er market kind of disheartening. Sure, OD is pure and all, but these boats are all limited in where they can go and what they can do, at least in the US - a lot of the races I like have a minimum size requirement. None of these make it. I understand economies of scale and that it's more expensive to build a 25 - 27' boat by a factor, but I just don't see how you can have all of these designs vying for limited dollars and expect to be successful at OD. I wish him all the best - the boat looks hot. So do a lot of boats, like the viper. I hope he gets enough momentum to make it work.

tphil

At the Viper web site general forum, Justin has posted a picture showing the boat with foils.

Observations-

The rudder drawn appears rather short.

The keel appears to have a very high aspect ratio which means it may have stalling problems in light air.

M24s are known to tack on a lay line and then slide sidways when there isn't enough forward speed to get the keel to work.

Just as on aircraft wings there are practical limits to length vs cord.

A hard chine means less flair in the top sides (narrower beam) and a wetter ride in a chop.

With lots of flair, the Viper can get away with low freeboard and stay relatively dry.

Finally, does a 19 footer need a roller furling jib?