Broken A-Cat Mast

juniordave nz

Auckland
I have a broken A-Cat mast, broken blow the hounds pretty close to the middle I guess. On one side of the mast it has been crushed and bent, the other side is intact from what you can see, but hard to tell that all fibres are all good. Happened on the trailer in an accident that completely destroyed another mast, mine just didn't get as broken.

Question is, would you accept a repair from your insurance or would you push for the purchase price of a second hand mast of similar vintage or newer if none are available?

I feel like if it's just repaired, then I'm still at loss.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Definitely don't accept a repair. Get a letter from the manufacturer saying the stiffness is crucial to the performance of the the mast and it wont be the same if repaired.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
+ 1 for Scarecrow's comments. Don't accept a repair. They never reproduce the same bend characteristics and often produce hard spots in the bend.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
You'll add weight aloft with the repair as well as the inconsistent bend characteristics. Go new, that's what the insurance is for.

ULTIMATESAILS

Don't accept the repair.

You must adduce:

1) difference of stiffness (and performance) - partially true

2) absolute loss of safety - you have to push on this aspect.

You need to focus on the full repayment of the mast and have the refound the bare tube.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
With respect to your experience, ultimate Sails, i think it would be very wrong to push any safety concerns about a repair. i know of 3 repaired A Class masts and the repairs are such that other parts of the mast will fail before they do. i have seen them sailed in conditions where other masts have broken and their owners specifically use them for high wind training when they don't want o risk their good masts.

The very fact that a repaired mast is no longer fit for purpose - racing competitively - is both correct and all that should be needed.The analogy i would give a layman refers to cars. Imagine isurance offewring to repair an engine that was damaged in an accident but that would lead to the engine being down on power. Nobody would accept it, so why would you in this case?

EdFontana

Repair will not work for all the reasons mentioned above. One way to communicate it is: a repair can either match the stiffness characteristics ( more expensive than a new mast) or be safe ( not the same bending characteristics so a custom sail would be required - more expensive than a new mast).

A new or same vintage mast is the lowest cost option for the adjuster to choose.

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
I don't think that the safety suggestion should be followed.

The repair will be safer than the rest of the mast - thats the problem TOO SAFE!

dacarls

Anarchist
FL
IMHPO, I have successfully repaired 10 carbon masts, 2 of which were really wrecks, using my own custom fabricated CF tube inserts using the broken mast to form it.. These masts have been used hard for about 10 years and never broken again at my repairs, but 3 were busted again at the other end due to further mast abuse. (falling trees, misplaced bridges, pitchpoles in nasty thunderstorms). It is hard for the amateur A-class sailor to ever tell the difference between these masts and new masts, even tho they should be able to do so by racing in good competition. What if they don't?

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
If he was funding the repair himself I'd say go for it and even help with advice on how to do it, but you pay for insurance so that things get returned back to the condition they were in, that is the whole point.

juniordave nz

Auckland
I held out. Insurance paid for a similar stick to the one that is broken, which I think is fair. Would have been nice to have a new stick, but that would have only happened if there weren't any others available.

Doesn't look like they are taking the old one off me either, so I will probably repair as a back up for regattas.

About to buy a 40ft container as my workshop, so at least the mast will fit.

dacarls

Anarchist
FL
In the good ol USA your insurance company will buy you one new carbon mast, then cancel your insurance.

Your second insurance Co. then wants to know if your insurance has ever bought you a new mast, or have you filed a claim., If so- they will NOT sell you a policy.

This is a PITA..

really? mine asked if i was reupping after i broke my mast. I said no because the only reason i had it was for a world championship that required a very high liability amount. I will be going back with them when i get whatever i get next (since my current boat isnt worth insuring). (still leaning towards an A-Cat)