Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup

twister

Online entry is finally set up for the Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup. The race is a 90 mile overnight ocean race starting in Greenport, going around Block Island, and finishing at Bug Light, just outside Greenport. It starts at 4PM, Friday, October 3rd and should finish Saturday morning. There is a post race party in Mitchell Park in Greenport Saturday afternoon. The overall winner will have his name engraved on the 105 year old Brooklyn Challenge Cup, which was donated by William Randolph Hearst. This race is one week before the Whitebread. For those wishing to race both races there is discount dockage offered by the Village of Greenport ($200 flat fee for the week). Please forward this note to anyone you think might be interested. Minimum boat size 26'/ maximum handicap 185. In addition to a first to finish trophy , there are trophies in PHRF, IRC, and double handed divisions.

Lunatic Fringe will be there for both races. We pitched this years ago, and it's finally happening. There's a great group of people working to set this up, and it should be a great event. If you can, stay for Whitebread 15 - it's going to be another great race, and they've got a great band this year.

Koozie

Having the option to dock in Greenport for the whole week between the BOCC and the Whitebread for a flat rate of $200. is a plus. I'm also impressed with the online entry system that the BOCC organizers are using. Easy to keep tabs on the entry list. It updates as soon as someone enters. Should be be a great event. Link to the BOCC is: http://chineseyachtclub.com/ Click on Event Registration to see the list of entries or to enter your own boat.

Lono

Anarchist
We are considering doing it on the 105...

how many entries are reasonably expected?

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
We are considering doing it on the 105...how many entries are reasonably expected?
There are 2 105 in already. I know of a couple of 109s that are definites, a Swan 42, a J122, a T10 and a bunch of others that are in but haven't registered yet. My guess? 25 to 30 boats. The last time this was run was in the 70s so we don't have much basis for an educated guess.

Lono

Anarchist
Working on the partner. We need to do one more race before putting the boat on the market... I assume there will be copiious amounts of booze and our general buffoonery will be welcomed?

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
The race starts this Friday in Greenport Long Island at 4pm. The trip to Block Island and back is about 90 miles so boats should be finishing at dawn. 27 boats, including a Class 40 sailing doublehanded. Wind prediction is 20 knots from the west so it will be a fast run to Block. Getting back may take longer.

Latest posts