Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup

footlong

Super Anarchist
Lawnguyland
Looks like great weather for you guys.I wish I was going!
I agree , wish i could go....

Prediction-

Jalacor
He got a super special rating for this race.
Gotta love an extra 8 sec a mile. I know of at least 2 boats that did not do this race b/c of the Eastern Long Island PHRF #'s They are a bit wacky.
I guess winning 3 ALIR's at 57 means he needed an extra 8 seconds.

dopo

Super Anarchist
New York

Prediction-

Jalacor
Gotta love an extra 8 sec a mile. I know of at least 2 boats that did not do this race b/c of the Eastern Long Island PHRF #'s They are a bit wacky.

I think i get how they rate all boats out there now, we got 2nd overall twice in the vineyard and a 3rd overall and theylowered us 7-

Last edited by a moderator:

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east

Prediction-

Jalacor

I think i get how they rate all boats out there now, we got 2nd overall twice in the vineyard and a 3rd overall and theylowered us 7-
ELI doesn't handicap the Vineyard or the ALIR. The P in PHRF is for performance. I believe ELI's experience with this boat is limited to last year's Whitebread. They didn't do so well in that one. The average number according to USSA's PHRF website is in the 60s. I'm sure once ELI has some experience with this boat, it will make any adjustments necessary. These are volunteers trying to do their best to make it a fair contest.

dopo

Super Anarchist
New York

Prediction-

Jalacor

ELI doesn't handicap the Vineyard or the ALIR. The P in PHRF is for performance. I believe ELI's experience with this boat is limited to last year's Whitebread. They didn't do so well in that one. The average number according to USSA's PHRF website is in the 60s. I'm sure once ELI has some experience with this boat, it will make any adjustments necessary. These are volunteers trying to do their best to make it a fair contest.
I hate it when people say " these are volunteers trying to do there best" line. Are there any paid people doing sailboat handicaping, for phrf?? these people can easily look to wlis, but they dont, b/c they think they know better.

that said go jalacor

Last edited by a moderator:

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east

Prediction-

Jalacor

I hate it when people say " these are volunteers trying to do there best" line. Are there any paid people doing sailboat handicaping, for phrf?? these people can easily look to wlis, but they dont, b/c they think they no better.

that said go jalacor
The reason there are different regions in PHRF is because sailing conditions differ in different areas. A Beneteau 40.7 for instance rates 42 in Northern California but 54 in LIS. Probably based on their experience. I hate it when people bitch and moan instead of volunteering.

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
WHAT A RACE !! 25 knot 40 mile, run to Block Island. The first to finish, Barleycorn, completed the 92 mile course in under 9 hours. Downwind start with 26 boats. Most boats expected to finish at dawn, but finished between 1 and 3 am. Got some sleep and heading for the party. Looks like the overall was won by a J105

The reason there are different regions in PHRF is because sailing conditions differ in different areas. A Beneteau 40.7 for instance rates 42 in Northern California but 54 in LIS. Probably based on their experience. I hate it when people bitch and moan instead of volunteering.

WTF?

we are the most eastern wlis club, the club 1/2 mile down the harbor from us is elis. about a 3 sec. difference. For rating local races area clubs seem to combine, divide by two, and then pull something out of their ass. One boat in two years had a 72 and a 87 in two local annual distance races with no boat changes.

Dont know why Jalacor would need any more time on a distance rating. Adjusting a rating on one race dosnt make any sense.

The start of the race was absolutely spectacular - downwind start going around a point with 25 knots of breeze. Lots of wipeouts, spinnakers blowing up, but we held it together. We made the run to the first mark on Block Island in approx 4 hours - totally amazing. We rounded 1 BI at around 9:30, and then had an upwind slog to the ruins. We did it in one tack, but took a beating. We were on the rail the entire time, but it paid off. We finished third in our class, and third overall for the race - not bad for a 30 yr old design racing against a Swan 42. They threw a great party today for the awards ceremony in Greenport.We finished the race at about 2 AM, and brought the boat back to Cutchogue to get ready for the Whitebread. Hope to see you all next weekend.

Let's hope that we get the same wind for next year.

footlong

Super Anarchist
Lawnguyland
WHAT A RACE !! 25 knot 40 mile, run to Block Island. The first to finish, Barleycorn, completed the 92 mile course in under 9 hours. Downwind start with 26 boats. Most boats expected to finish at dawn, but finished between 1 and 3 am. Got some sleep and heading for the party. Looks like the overall was won by a J105

No way, J105's don't plane!

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east

One 105 told me they were hitting 16 knots regularly on the 40 mile rum. 3 of the 105s were among the leaders when we all reached Block for the turn to head back upwind. If they don't plane, their waterline must bea lot longer than they appear to be.

We were regularly hitting 14 knots on the run down to Block - sometimes faster on the backs of the big waves after Montauk. This was on an LS-10, which shouldn't be doing 14 knots. The keel was humming most of the time.

PerryWinkle

Banned

One 105 told me they were hitting 16 knots regularly on the 40 mile rum. 3 of the 105s were among the leaders when we all reached Block for the turn to head back upwind. If they don't plane, their waterline must bea lot longer than they appear to be.
Suprised the 105's did that well coming back upwind into the swell?

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east

Suprised the 105's did that well coming back upwind into the swell?
They certainly lost ground upwind, but were able to hang on well enough that they had great results. Results should be posted later today. We're all still recovering from yesterday's party.

-Q-

An absolutely spectacular race. One of the best, most scenic starts ever, and the fastest run to Block and back that we've done. Great race management too. What more can you possibly ask for?

Results attached.

-- Q

BOCC2008Results.pdf

Attachments

• BOCC2008Results.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 86

mlachance

An absolutely spectacular race. One of the best, most scenic starts ever, and the fastest run to Block and back that we've done. Great race management too. What more can you possibly ask for?
Results attached.

-- Q
new boat speed record for us, 16.83kt (surfing, not planing). Per Commanders, went north of rhumb for more wind on return and reached fast home. great race and will be back next year to defend

OC 103

Long Island
Results attached.

-- Q
new boat speed record for us, 16.83kt (surfing, not planing). Per Commanders, went north of rhumb for more wind on return and reached fast home. great race and will be back next year to defend
What kind of boat? Sounded like a fun race. Hopefully the whitebread will be as good, I've heard good things.

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
Man, I do our Port to Port races here in hopes that we get weather like that. That is awesome, hope to see some pics & vid.