Brooklyn Ocean Challenge Cup

dopo

Super Anarchist
New York
We were regularly hitting 14 knots on the run down to Block - sometimes faster on the backs of the big waves after Montauk. This was on an LS-10, which shouldn't be doing 14 knots. The keel was humming most of the time.
You weren't doing 14knts your speedo is wrong
Ttens can do 14kts, but the video does not like it was conditions for that speed. The boat will plane in 25-30 and surf before that in waves. But the keel really hum's and the boat needs a bretty rock steady crew piled aft in the cockpit.

Last edited by a moderator:

jesposito

Super Anarchist
We were regularly hitting 14 knots on the run down to Block - sometimes faster on the backs of the big waves after Montauk. This was on an LS-10, which shouldn't be doing 14 knots. The keel was humming most of the time.
Ttens can do 14kts, but the video does not like it was conditions for that speed. The boat will plane in 25-30 and surf before that in waves. But the keel really hum's and the boat needs a bretty rock steady crew piled aft in the cockpit.
No wonder why you guys close in on us in breeze downwind

Rail Meat

Super Anarchist
Mystic, CT

Sorry to tell you, but they were certainly up there. On a Class 40 we were consistently above 13 and ocassionally up at 16, confirmed on two different speedos and matched to GPS ex-current impact. We were moving pretty well, but so were the 105s.

We were hitting 14 knots surfing down waves. We were seeing runs of about 30 - 40 seconds before we ran up the next wave. The 14 knot speed was SOG, from the GPS, not from the speedo, which was going faster. The video was from one of the only points in the race that I could at least stand up and take a look around. When we got outside of Montauk, the waves really got big, and that was were the big planning was. The keel was humming on the back of each wave. I wish I could have gotten more video, but it was dark, and upwind we were all on the rail for 5 hours.

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
We were hitting 14 knots surfing down waves. We were seeing runs of about 30 - 40 seconds before we ran up the next wave. The 14 knot speed was SOG, from the GPS, not from the speedo, which was going faster. The video was from one of the only points in the race that I could at least stand up and take a look around. When we got outside of Montauk, the waves really got big, and that was were the big planning was. The keel was humming on the back of each wave. I wish I could have gotten more video, but it was dark, and upwind we were all on the rail for 5 hours.
Bottom line Rob, is that you did 92 miles in 10 hours and 51 minutes which means you averaged 8 and a half. Since you couldn't do near that on the beat back, you had to be doing a lot more than that on the way there. 14 wouldn't surprise me at all. We hit 15.5 on the 109 and they don't plane either. It was kinda breezy on the way to Block. Good race. You guys did great.

Harry Manko

Anarchist
Bottom line Rob, is that you did 92 miles in 10 hours and 51 minutes which means you averaged 8 and a half. Since you couldn't do near that on the beat back, you had to be doing a lot more than that on the way there. 14 wouldn't surprise me at all. We hit 15.5 on the 109 and they don't plane either. It was kinda breezy on the way to Block. Good race. You guys did great.
Faster then 8.5 knots on average:

average_speeds.jpg

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Hey Dark N Stormy, congratulations on a really great race - you guys rock! G'luck at Larchmont

See you at Offsoundings in the Spring.

RockIt.

Stevo

Great Job Mike and crew of Dark n Stormy. Well done MudHeads!

I would also like to congratulate the Dark n Stormy crew.

- Met them on the ferry ride over. They were a friendly bunch.

- Almost "met" them on their jybe just past the second mark. Again, they were gentlemen and displayed great boat handling.

- Almost met you at the finish again, even though we owed you 40 minutes...

Good on ya Dark n Stormy, ya bastards!

uuuuh, I was on a nonsuch 30 in the back of the fleet after a shit chicken gybe, hitting close to and over 12 knots over the bottom (1-1.5 knot current running with us) the whole run down, and yes, a T-10, or LS-10 in this case, can do 12 knots on a run w/o current and with these waves and current, it did fly at 14 knots over in those conditions. This observation was evidenced by the fact that they smoked us downwind and hung with the big guys the whole time, before I lost them at sunset heading to the SW end of BI. Simply amazing that race was. Join us for the Whitebread Espo.

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
What was the course at the start? After Bug light there is only Gardiner's Island before block...
Would love to do the Wbread, but Hampton VA is a long way from Peconic.

X-Pierce Yacht Basin boater - for you old guys...
After Bug Light, you had to honor 1GI (Gardiners Island) and then we went around Block counter clockwise (south side first). It was a 40 mile run is 25 knots. It was a beat back but it only required 1 tack. Some of the later finishing boats didn't have to tack at all.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
What was the course at the start? After Bug light there is only Gardiner's Island before block...
Would love to do the Wbread, but Hampton VA is a long way from Peconic.

X-Pierce Yacht Basin boater - for you old guys...

Hey, if we can bring our boat from Boston to the Black Seal, you can surely make the trip for the Whitebread... ;)

Randall Flagg

Anarchist
out east
Who's going this year? Last year e had 26 boats. This year, the race is a month away (Friday, October 2) and we have 16 boats already entered, including 2 mini transats. A great race from Eastern Long Island out to, and around Block Island and back to Greenport, overnight. For boats doing this race and the Whitebread, they can stay in downtown Greenport at Mitchell Park marina for $200 for the week. Check it out the race and the entry list at: greenportoceanrace.com