Bruce Needs Money - Now

ragbag

Anarchist
See Bruce's note below. Point here is you don't need to donate thousands of bucks, you can use Paypal to contribute 25, 100 bucks, your wife will barely notice. Numbers will make up for the smaller amounts. This is how he made it thus far.

To the supporters of Ocean Planet,

Now is the time. We are approaching a "game over" situation for Ocean Planet's Vendee Globe entry, and the www.oceanplanet.org education program, if we do not have your immediate help.

As for much of the past four years, I am currently focused on the immediate tasks at hand of working on the boat, organizing volunteers, creating promotion materials, fostering donor and sponsorship connections, etc. I have hired a multitalented fabricator/painter, Fred Dodge, who is working at a bargain price so any $ donated will go a long way there. Many volunteers are helping on several fronts but we need to hire additional experienced people. Our many supplier sponsors have contributed great products, but we need cash.

We are already behind a desirable date for relaunching, but I WILL NOT give up. We finally do seem to be developing some leads on the sponsorship side. There are some meetings coming up and I will report more on those as they happen. It is very late in the game, but we do have some new allies here that hopefully be more effective in getting meetings and then be able to back me up when we have them.

The bottom line is that we are going to continually hammer away until we find some sponsorship. But in the meantime, we need some some donation income and additional experienced labor on the boat to stay in the game. I have just a little bit more credit that I can wring out of the foundation (and my personal) credit cards so we are currently running on fumes. As bad as that may sound, on the bright side the boat is worth a great deal more than our current overall debt load. BUT SHE MUST GET IN THE WATER by mid July to have either a shot at the race or resale potential to cover the bills.

To that end, in the next week I will be banging down some of your doors to arrange for donations or loans to make sure we get this puppy in the drink. We've made it this far, and COME HELL OR HIGH WATER we are sailing this boat again in two months.

I am in a very serious mood about all this, so if you see me coming it's too late to get away.

If you don't have any money to loan or donate, then we need your help on the boat.

Thanks to those of you who have recently contributed.

Any questions?

Bruce Schwab

Ocean Planet (USA 05)

Web: www.bruceschwab.com

Education: www.oceanplanet.org

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 843-670-6582

This American team for the Vendee Globe is made possible

by your donations to The Made in America Foundation

(www.bruceschwab.com/support.cfm), and our supplier sponsors:

Coast-Line International: www.coast-lineintl.com

Doyle Sailmakers: www.doylesails.com

Equiplite lightweight connectors: www.equiplite.com

Infomatrix: www.infomatrix-usa.com

MAS Epoxies: www.masepoxies.com

Nobeltec navigation software: www.nobeltec.com

Portland Yacht Services: www.portlandyacht.com

Samson rope technologies: www.samsonrope.com

Solara Energy Systems: www.solaraenergy.com

WoodenBoat Magazine: www.woodenboat.com

Join our team: www.bruceschwab.com/sponsorship.cfm

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Bruce and Ocean Planet deserve and have earned the support of the US sailing community. Here's a chance to really make a difference.

We know most of the lame and a few of the good reasons why US corporations don't get behind sailing campaigns in a major way. So be it. But that's no reason why the US sailing community at the grassroots level can't make something happen.

Come on gang. There's an awful lot of first-time support still out there waiting for... Please don't wait anymore.

Seriously, to have Bruce and OP in the Vendee Globe is a big deal. How appropo for OP to get its biggest boost via a surge of support from sailing anarchists.

Hell, Bruce can't say it but I can...his is just about as close to the perfect SA campaign as we could hope for. Talk about flying in the face of the status quo, Bruce has been doing it for three years, mostly on his own with the help of a few friends.

Now he needs more friends...so if you can, spend a weekend in Maine at Portland Yacht Services on Fore Street. Bruce can use strong backs and weak minds (like mine) as well as some talented and experienced help.

Most importantly, Bruce needs funds so send what you can. Do the paypal thing or send a check to the Made in America Foundation. Or better yet, hand Bruce a brown paper bag full of cash when you visit him in Portland ME.

PS: And if you know a business tycoon REALLY well (meaning no wild goose chasing) and can arrange for Bruce to make a serious pitch to a potential sponsor, let him know. While the idea of OP being the quintessential SA campaign is cool, I think Bruce would gladly relinqish some of his rugged individualism in exchange for some big-buck corporate support.

G

Guest Anarchist Mighetto

Umm....err....I'm planning on sailing my Mac 26 around Vancouver Island (RTW proving grounds you know).

I need money, too!

Send to:

Dock Box 2A

SSSS Club/Murrelet

Seattle, WA 9...whatever

USA

H

how much?

how much money is bruce asking from a major, primary corporate sponsor??

knowing the answer to that question would help those who might be in a position to hook bruce up with a company......

doesnt have to be exact, just a ballpark number....

born2sail

Super Anarchist
how much money is bruce asking from a major, primary corporate sponsor??
knowing the answer to that question would help those who might be in a position to hook bruce up with a company......

doesnt have to be exact, just a ballpark number....
Here's a starting place....

Bruce has a sponsorship presentation that can be forwarded to you. Send me an email and I might be able to answer some of your specific questions.

Dsc00148.jpg

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
I finally contributed today. It wasn't a ton, but if it helps pay his vendors, then it supports the sailing community at large.

Some of us just need to be kicked a couple times to get going.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
I finally contributed today. It wasn't a ton, but if it helps pay his vendors, then it supports the sailing community at large.
Some of us just need to be kicked a couple times to get going.
That's great! Bruce is probably busy, so I'll extend a sincere "thank you" for Bruce from one supporter to another.

daduck

I wanted to see if I could get this back on page 1, it's a good cause. Mailing a check today and put "Thank SA" in the memo.

BeerDidClam

Super Anarchist
i'm on board with that.

snail-mail address is sorta buried on the website--

for those with a checkbook too lazy to look it up,

(like me) it's

Bruce Schwab

The Made in America Foundation

3135 64th Ave.

Oakland CA 94605

(hope that's okay with the Ed)

TheBoathouse

Super Anarchist
i'm on board with that.
snail-mail address is sorta buried on the website--

for those with a checkbook too lazy to look it up,

(like me) it's

Bruce Schwab

The Made in America Foundation

3135 64th Ave.

Oakland CA 94605

(hope that's okay with the Ed)
Is there a link for a PayPal donation off his site? I couldn't find it.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
yeah, it's on the top in the middle, called Support.

then in the body of the next page, click the crew position and amount you want to contribute.

Aaron

TheBoathouse

Super Anarchist
Is there a link for a PayPal donation off his site? I couldn't find it.
https://www.bruceschwab.com/support.cfm

Scroll down to bottom. You can make a Paypal contribution, much easier and faster than finding the 'ole checkbook and mailing it off.
ragbag, thanks for starting this thread and pointing out they accept PayPal. It sure makes it easy just type and click. I've been wanting to get down and give Bruce a check for a while, but never found the time. Hope he makes it.

jonsailr

To the supporters of Ocean Planet,
Now is the time. We are approaching a "game over" situation for Ocean Planet's Vendee Globe entry, and the www.oceanplanet.org education program, if we do not have your immediate help.

As for much of the past four years, I am currently focused on the immediate tasks at hand of working on the boat, organizing volunteers, creating promotion materials, fostering donor and sponsorship connections, etc. I have hired a multitalented fabricator/painter, Fred Dodge, who is working at a bargain price so any $ donated will go a long way there. Many volunteers are helping on several fronts but we need to hire additional experienced people. Our many supplier sponsors have contributed great products, but we need cash.

We are already behind a desirable date for relaunching, but I WILL NOT give up. We finally do seem to be developing some leads on the sponsorship side. There are some meetings coming up and I will report more on those as they happen. It is very late in the game, but we do have some new allies here that hopefully be more effective in getting meetings and then be able to back me up when we have them.

The bottom line is that we are going to continually hammer away until we find some sponsorship. But in the meantime, we need some some donation income and additional experienced labor on the boat to stay in the game. I have just a little bit more credit that I can wring out of the foundation (and my personal) credit cards so we are currently running on fumes. As bad as that may sound, on the bright side the boat is worth a great deal more than our current overall debt load. BUT SHE MUST GET IN THE WATER by mid July to have either a shot at the race or resale potential to cover the bills.

To that end, in the next week I will be banging down some of your doors to arrange for donations or loans to make sure we get this puppy in the drink. We've made it this far, and COME HELL OR HIGH WATER we are sailing this boat again in two months.

I am in a very serious mood about all this, so if you see me coming it's too late to get away.

If you don't have any money to loan or donate, then we need your help on the boat.

Thanks to those of you who have recently contributed.

Any questions?

Bruce Schwab

Ocean Planet (USA 05)

Web: www.bruceschwab.com

Education: www.oceanplanet.org

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 843-670-6582

This American team for the Vendee Globe is made possible

by your donations to The Made in America Foundation

(www.bruceschwab.com/support.cfm), and our supplier sponsors:

Coast-Line International: www.coast-lineintl.com

Doyle Sailmakers: www.doylesails.com

Equiplite lightweight connectors: www.equiplite.com

Infomatrix: www.infomatrix-usa.com

MAS Epoxies: www.masepoxies.com

Nobeltec navigation software: www.nobeltec.com

Portland Yacht Services: www.portlandyacht.com

Samson rope technologies: www.samsonrope.com

Solara Energy Systems: www.solaraenergy.com

WoodenBoat Magazine: www.woodenboat.com

Join our team: www.bruceschwab.com/sponsorship.cfm
I have had the priviledge of spending dozens of hours working with Bruce over the winter, and as soon as I get some semblence of order back into my personal life, hope to do so again.

Unfortunately, at the moment there are no cat free hosts offering beds to volunteers, as there were over the early winter.

If you are a half way competent craftsman or have a few extra bucks available, send some money, spend some time. It'sll be rewarding either way.

Jonathan

G

Jr programs need your help.So does Bruce.Anything wrong with being a adult?

born2sail

Super Anarchist
We need lots of junior programs and the ones out there already are in constant need of help.

Bruce and the OP campaign are once-in-a-lifetime things. His success is very much tied to junior programs: directly via the ed. program associated with the Made In America Foundation, and indirectly as a model for kids looking for good role models and examples of dogged determination and how people can make dreams come true.

Supporting worthy causes shouldn't be a zero sum-thing. Everyone has time, talent and treasure to give.

Latest posts