Building new control panel

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I’m planning for my winter project.

The control panel for my Yanmar has a tach, idiot lights, a key slot and a stop button and that’s it. I’d like to build a new panel to include a tach, oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge. 

I also don’t feel that I necessarily need a key, just a start button would be fine. 

Where’s a good place to source the senders and gauges and other stuff? I don’t think the gauges need to say Yanmar, but it would be nice if they worked and were accurate :)   

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I’m planning for my winter project.

The control panel for my Yanmar has a tach, idiot lights, a key slot and a stop button and that’s it. I’d like to build a new panel to include a tach, oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge. 

I also don’t feel that I necessarily need a key, just a start button would be fine. 

Where’s a good place to source the senders and gauges and other stuff? I don’t think the gauges need to say Yanmar, but it would be nice if they worked and were accurate :)   
Yah 

no goofy key …

Button ignition on, buzzer  on …   

button start …..run, buzzer off….

button stop

the ignition on …run …buzzer might be controlled by the oil pressure sensor or rpm sensor

the glow plugs may need an additional switch plus a timer  relay 

alarms for oil, water temp 

see if you can find a pre engineered engine control panel schematic  from a swan ….they use buttons 

your local engine shop might be able to help with a generic schematic , relays and switch types

the commonly  used switches are made by EAO

https://www.mouser.com/EAO/Electromechanical/Switches/Pushbutton-Switches/_/N-5g30?P=1yvsywm

sensors are typically supplied by VDO

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/pressure-senders-switches.html

cross reference your present sensors…and remember that marine sensors are normally isolated earth…two pole sensors 

Last edited by a moderator:

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
When my key switch corroded up into a useless blob I bought a Blue Seas waterproof dual toggle switch thingy. One toggle is on-off-on momentary both ways to perform heat and start. The other is on-off-on momentary one way that does run and stop. All marine Blue Sea stuff not the automobile grade crap. A run switch and three push buttons would work too but there was not ready kit in the Defender catalog. Wired up simply to the key switch wires. 

Morans will not find it intuitive which may be a plus or minus. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
VDO - lots of options for the gauges and the senders.

Start switch on my last boat. 

image.png

harrygee

Tasmania
If you're not obsessed with detail, cheap gauges will do the job.    Once you're used to checking the gauge and you know what to expect, any unexplained deviation should get your attention.

Whatever you get, use the senders that come with the gauges, don't mix brands.

If you use random senders, you may be lucky and get a reading of 62 C when it's actually 82 C.  Maybe you could live with that.

VDO senders operate in the opposite sense from, for instance, Yazaki, meaning that, stone cold, your gauge will hit the max reading and will creep back as the sender warms up, which is not what you want.

Keep your alarm switches, they're more likely to save your engine than gauges.

I don't know what's out there now but we used to use (expensive) Murphy gauges that include an adjustable internal pointer, so that the alarm temp / pressure can be set.  They have the advantage that you don't need senders and switches, just senders, so no vulnerable plumbing junctions.

The start switch above is a good idea, easy to find in the dark, in a panic. You just have to remember to switch your "accessories" on - gauges and alternator.  Or rig a relay to your oil switch so that it does the same thing. 

Cheers

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
I had the same set up for my volvo, but no key just a start button. If you have a newish motor and NMEA network this may be an option, https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html. It worked perfect for me, although it looks like you need to update the software for Yanmar use. In my case it allowed engine data on my already installed MFD and cockpit instrument heads. Even though the original set up had just an over-temp alarm, the sender for full temp readings was already in place, but not for oil pressure.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
In my case it replaced the stock Yanmar key switch when it died in Malaysia I think. Since the panel was INSIDE the saloon, no need for a key.

I would do a bit of homework and pricing on this.  You may be able to just buy a upgraded panel with what you want on it that plugs right into the harness.  When you stack up a bunch of quality gauges sending units wiring terminations switches etc it can add up quick.  

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I never understood the whole key thing on yacht engines. If someone gets into the boat I don't think a lack of key will stop them doing what they like. 

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
I never understood the whole key thing on yacht engines. If someone gets into the boat I don't think a lack of key will stop them doing what they like. 
The key handles all the logic so any dummy has a chance at starting the engine. I don’t understand the STOP button while the key on my identical diesel tractor engine stops the engine when turned to OFF. 

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
The key handles all the logic so any dummy has a chance at starting the engine. I don’t understand the STOP button while the key on my identical diesel tractor engine stops the engine when turned to OFF. 
I never really thought of it that way, but its a good point about the stop. Mines on a morse cable still. 

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
My Yanmar key switch can be turned by anyone with a small pocket knife, small key, piece of wood...it really doesn't matter if I leave the key in it or not, they would have to break into the boat to turn the power on.

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
Just what does the stop button do? Is it killing the fuel supply?
On my Westerbeke, there's a normally closed valve in the fuel supply to the Injector pump. 

Power on the solenoid allows fuel to flow, the "Ignition" position of the key sends power to the solenoid and the electrical lift pump for fuel. 

Thus, losing the starting battery, or turning off keys or the wire lug breaking will all shut off the engine, 

yoyo

Anarchist
Stop button on some setups activates the stop solenoid to cut fuel to the engine.

Many older designs use a mechanical stop pull cable that does the same thing. 

I have seen some universal/westerbeke's setup with neither - a hard pull back on throttle killed the engine. 

Cole Hersee has momentary pushbuttons with rubber covers ... fisheries, west M and amazon typically sell them

257049_c_h_9245_ppm-tif

Last edited by a moderator:

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
Back to the subject.

Yanmar panels are easier than Volvos as they don't have any of the silly logic around muting the alarm when the key is on but engine not running. 

Honestly I don't see the need for oil pressure & temperature on an engine, its rare anyone looks at them. But if you're set on fitting them then you can get a sandwich plate for your oil filter like this:

s-l300.jpg

Easiest way to plug the sensors in for your gauges. That way you can leave your old oil pressure switch in place to run the buzzer & warning lamp.
As mentioned above, VDO are well regarded for sensors. 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Back to the subject.

Yanmar panels are easier than Volvos as they don't have any of the silly logic around muting the alarm when the key is on but engine not running. 

Honestly I don't see the need for oil pressure & temperature on an engine, its rare anyone looks at them. But if you're set on fitting them then you can get a sandwich plate for your oil filter like this:

Easiest way to plug the sensors in for your gauges. That way you can leave your old oil pressure switch in place to run the buzzer & warning lamp.
As mentioned above, VDO are well regarded for sensors. 
On many boats you have a separate button called “ accept alarm “ 

This a nice feature when you are troubleshooting the engine and must leave ignition on for a long time 

as for switches the industry standard are eao modular switches 

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/85799.pdf

these modular switches are stackable ….one push button assembly can control two contactor  blocks 

this double block configuration …one button,  two functions is commonly used for the ignition on, blower on …switch