bulb-weight on VOR-boats

hiroller

Some interesting quotes from the crews on the boats re boat configuration:

Team Russia navigator Wouter Verbraak, said: "We are more heavy-orientated as the Doldrums showed. We are heavier built which means we should be able to push the boat that bit harder which hopefully will turn into a nice gain over the next few days.”

E4's Guy Salter: "In the old Volvo 60s, 40 kts would be towards upper end of racing mode, in these boats 40kts is a lot more like survival mode."

It will be interesting to see how much each of the boats have to throttle back in the heavy stuff and whether sacrificing hull weight (and strength) for bulb weight will be much of a impact in the heavy stuff.

Soley

Super Anarchist
Speaking to an un named source, the load cell that the russians used to weigh EVERYTHING was reading low for the first 95% of the project. So they thought they were spot on with the weight untill the very end.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
BIt weird that.

Calculations of the lamination and construction details give you the weight.

All don eby PC, or old fashioned notebook. Not with a loadcell.

Its not like:

hey the boat we did build according the lam sched is a bit light, lets put some 1000kg fairing putty on it...

Or double the lamination....

rubio-rokola

I am sorta holding back here because I dont like saying things which I did not see with my own 2 eyes or which other people dont whant to gt out.

But I am fairly sure that K was once at a more normal keel weight. Ill leave it to someone else to tell you the juicy bits.............

Last edited by a moderator:

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
Speaking to an un named source, the load cell that the russians used to weigh EVERYTHING was reading low for the first 95% of the project. So they thought they were spot on with the weight untill the very end.
doesn't add up if all the structural weight at say 2 tons is 5% heavy then thats only 100 kgs. eeven 5% of the whole thing is only 700 kgs. Have to think that something went wrong early on and needed mucho fixing. Bit like the panic maybe that went on with leopard when 2 tons (!) of carbon additional structure was added in along the build by the designers having nightmares or third thoughts on the loads. And now the boat is well up the scale at nearly 45 tons.

star-sailor

Europe
the skipper of kosatka is austrian. in an interview with a local tv-station he reveiled the reason for the light bulb on his boat. the team is privately financed (as we all know) and from the beginning was planned as a low budget project. they wanted to build a bullet-proof boat to keep the costs for maintenance and men-power under control (small shore-team, no boatbuilder present during stopovers etc...). only when the project was already in its later stages the russian owner decided to raise the goal, but obviously it was too late to change the plans for the boat. that is the reason for the heavy hull and the light bulb.

edit: this is also the reason for their good performance during the last days of leg one. hanakamp said that they had a lot of confidence in the boat and were able to push hard. it also paid of that they did a lot of training in rough conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

rubio-rokola

the skipper of kosatka is austrian. in an interview with a local tv-station he reveiled the reason for the light bulb on his boat. the team is privately financed (as we all know) and from the beginning was planned as a low budget project. they wanted to build a bullet-proof boat to keep the costs for maintenance and men-power under control (small shore-team, no boatbuilder present during stopovers etc...). only when the project was already in its later stages the russian owner decided to raise the goal, but obviously it was too late to change the plans for the boat. that is the reason for the heavy hull and the light bulb.
edit: this is also the reason for their good performance during the last days of leg one. hanakamp said that they had a lot of confidence in the boat and were able to push hard. it also paid of that they did a lot of training in rough conditions.

Not what i heard. Why would they spend millions on a project and save a few cents on not employing boat builders, every team knows the importance of the builders. This wouldnt make sense.

Latest posts