Bullshit from the Dept. of Transportation

flaps15

Super Anarchist
dna level c
Lahood seems to be stirring populist crap. Why couldn't he have just added: before you go to your Dealer listen to what Toyota is requesting. Make an appointment before driving there. Check the Toyota Website. I can just see dealers all over the country being inundated with pissed off customers expecting to get their cars fixed on demand. Maybe I'm wrong, I just believe he shouldn't have said anything. Government getting involved where they really don't belong. Again.

The Hill

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Lahood seems to be stirring populist crap. Why couldn't he have just added: before you go to your Dealer listen to what Toyota is requesting. Make an appointment before driving there. Check the Toyota Website. I can just see dealers all over the country being inundated with pissed off customers expecting to get their cars fixed on demand. Maybe I'm wrong, I just believe he shouldn't have said anything. Government getting involved where they really don't belong. Again.
The Hill
Reminds me of Biden saying that he had told his family to avoid air travel and public transportation during the swine flu outbreak.

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
I agree. I was stunned when I read that this morning. I don't know how they can fix this bone-headed statement. Toyota's gotta be pissed.

2high2tight

Super Anarchist
Its a legal thing. The lawyers said "if you tell them its ok to drive the car, and anyone has an accident, the lawsuits against the Dept of Trans" will be huge.

Think about it -- who has bigger pockets than Toyota? The U.S.A! I can see it now -- 5 year old Susie crying in front of the jury box; "My mommie was killed because that man on TV said it was ok to drive the car. Why did my mommy have to die?"

He did the smart thing.

chinabald

Super Anarchist
Its a legal thing. The lawyers said "if you tell them its ok to drive the car, and anyone has an accident, the lawsuits against the Dept of Trans" will be huge.
Think about it -- who has bigger pockets than Toyota? The U.S.A! I can see it now -- 5 year old Susie crying in front of the jury box; "My mommie was killed because that man on TV said it was ok to drive the car. Why did my mommy have to die?"

He did the smart thing.
He backed off those statements already.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100203/BUSI...back-off-remark

WASHINGTON - U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told owners of 5.6 million recalled Toyotas today to stop driving them until they could be fixed -- but officials immediately walked back his comments.

"If anybody owns one of these vehicles, stop driving it and take it to a Toyota dealer because they believe they have the fix for it," LaHood said during a House hearing on the transportation budget.

But an administration official later said that LaHood did not mean to tell drivers to park their recalled vehicles.

2high2tight

Super Anarchist
what he corrected was that they could actually drive them to the dealer for the fix. But he wouldn't drive them around otherwise

And once again proving that public-servant-whores are very rarely held accountable for what they do or say.

Must be very nice having a mindless, useless job that pays six figures plus bennies, and one where the only way to get fired would be if you popped a cap into your bosses forehead. In front of an elementary school. On Career Day.......

Last edited by a moderator:

2high2tight

Super Anarchist
And once again proving that public-servant-whores are very rarely held accountable for what they do or say.
Must be very nice having a mindless, useless job that pays six figures plus bennies, and one where the only way to get fired would be if you popped a cap into your bosses forehead. In front of an elementary school. On Career Day.......
The turds do tend to clump together in Washington, and then get Peter Principled to the top. And the rare exception -- like Colin Powell -- end up running for higher ground.

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist
It Starts at the Top slamming Vegas - AGAIN

LAS VEGAS – President Barack Obama is known for having a way with words, but some lawmakers from Nevada wish he would pipe down about trips to Sin City. After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada's elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn't blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn't saying anything negative about Las Vegas.

The turds do tend to clump together in Washington, and then get Peter Principled to the top. And the rare exception -- like Colin Powell -- end up running for higher ground.
Agree completely, but my brush is broad.

Btw, could you imagine what would happen to one of the higher ups at Ford or Honda saying something like that?.......

rb608

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay

He did the smart thing.
There is much truth in what you say.

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist

He did the smart thing.
No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal government for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck accelerator Neutral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,

How about smoking is it banned? The federal Government has been telling us for years that it will kill you how many law suits filed against Uncle Sam

rb608

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay

He did the smart thing.
No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal goverment for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck acelerator Nuetral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,
The suit wouldn't be over the defect, it would be for negligence for asserting the safety of a product you knew was defective and dangerous. The mfr of the product, and even the product itself is irrelevent.

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist

He did the smart thing.
No there isn't, with all due respect you can not sue the federal goverment for a manufacturers defect from a car built in Japan. A defect that has effected a tiny, tiny percentage of cars - This is a typical tempest in a tea pot. I remember being taught in drivers ed how to stop a car with a stuck acelerator Nuetral, shut off the engine after you are below 30MPH,
The suit wouldn't be over the defect, it would be for negligence for asserting the safety of a product you knew was defective and dangerous. The mfr of the product, and even the product itself is irrelevent.
Name one suit - I used smoking above as an example. How about trampolines and bikes #1 and #2 in kids accidental deaths

wabbiteer

Super Anarchist
LAS VEGAS – President Barack Obama is known for having a way with words, but some lawmakers from Nevada wish he would pipe down about trips to Sin City. After sparking a firestorm of criticism from Nevada's elected officials for suggesting that people saving money for college shouldn't blow it in Las Vegas, Obama told U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid in a letter that he wasn't saying anything negative about Las Vegas.
I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that people who are saving for college should take that pot of money and blow it in Vegas?

Double or nothing! It's the American way!

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist
I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that people who are saving for college should take that pot of money and blow it in Vegas?

Double or nothing! It's the American way!
I'm saying a president should not target a city that is in his country.

How about "People need to have their priorities in order, College costs need to be planned for, Personal sacrifices need to be made!" ( I can even hear him saying it in that preacher voice we all love)

Same message with out fucking over a city that relies on tourism.

elle

Super Anarchist
i wish he would have told them not to blow it all at the mardi gras...damn college kids...puking in the streets... stay home ya little bastards! save your college fund...my yard is not a toilet! <_< :p

TMSAIL

Super Anarchist
i wish he would have told them not to blow it all at the mardi gras...damn college kids...puking in the streets... stay home ya little bastards! save your college fund...my yard is not a toilet!
Chicago has that problem after every night game at Wrigley, AKAGP has a big German Shepard that he uses to terrify baseball fans after every game. :lol: