Buying a 49er

Big ed

Toronto
Hey guys, I’m new to this website but hopefully it’ll still help,

me and my partner are switching into 49ers to try and campaign, we tried 29 but originally came from 420.

anyway if I could get some tips on what boat sellers usually try to hide it be greatly appreciated, our old 29 had a whacky dagger board slot.

also are the newest variations of 49er wings the ones that attach with 2 peg? I’ve heard some slide inwards on a track. I don’t know if I could trust 2 pegs with all our body weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I’m new to this website but hopefully it’ll still help,

me and my partner are switching into 49ers to try and campaign, we tried 29 but originally came from 420.

anyway if I could get some tips on what boat sellers usually try to hide it be greatly appreciated, our old 29 had a whacky dagger board slot.

also are the newest variations of 49er wings the ones that attach with 2 peg? I’ve heard some slide inwards on a track. I don’t know if I could trust 2 pegs with all our body weight.
Ok, The new style wings are bolts and the old ones are sliding tracks, They'll hold weight fine just make sure theres no corrosion as my boats starting to show some,

Idk what people would try to hide, talk to a local 49er sailor,

The new style wings are M8 bolts there quite strong,

How much do you guys weight?

Hope this helps a little bit -Roy

NSBen

Ed, 

I'm looking for a 49er as well at the moment and I've always heard that the sliding wings are bad and should be avoided. Two issues I've heard about are corrosion and breakages in the tracks and in the rivets connecting the track to the boat, and issues with load-bearing in heavy stuff (the bolted design is just overall simpler and easier to maintain). That being said, I don't think the older style hulls are bad for all uses. Although I'm no expert in the design of the boat, (we'd have to get @JulianB in here for that) good boat handling and decent tactics should get you to mid-fleet in Canada, bolted wings or not.

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
It is very easy to bolt the sliding wings so as to bypass the sliding mechanism.  That should not be a obstacle.

The big thing I think, is the rig. The carbon (SS or CST) is just so much more forgiving.

jB

NSBen

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
It'd be worth mentioning that the boat for sale isn't the boat in the picture on the ad. I messeged the seller, it's an old sliding wing model, not in the best shape. Not sure if it's even an FX.
Well that doesn't seem fair...

Rambler

Anarchist
East Coast OZ
It'd be worth mentioning that the boat for sale isn't the boat in the picture on the ad. I messeged the seller, it's an old sliding wing model, not in the best shape. Not sure if it's even an FX.
To quote a well used line out of an Australian movie... "tell him he's dreaming"

allweather

baltic
It is very easy to bolt the sliding wings so as to bypass the sliding mechanism.  That should not be a obstacle.
Wait, it is? I'm in no hurry to change my own(need to get sailing more before doing anything like that), but had some concerns about the wings themselves going a little soft and wondered about potential replacements...

But as said, with how far too rarely I've been on the water lately that isn't even on the list, I am only curious how it would be done.
Just bolt through where the current slide is mounted?(can't recall from the last time I had removed everything what kind of bolts are in with the old style wings tracks)

JulianB

Super Anarchist
Sydney mostly
Sliding wings, think it's 2 per slider, yes they are M6 or 1/4" and we used to glass wing-nuts (SS) on the bottom, so it's relatively easy.

Can2476

The newest versions of the wings are the ones which have two stainless steel rods into the hull and are also through bolted to the gunnel.

If you are physically fit enough to be able to sail the 49er, you should have no worries about them holding you and your partner's weight unless there is serious damage to the wings/hull. It would take a lot of force for any of those parts to fail.

Sliding wings, think it's 2 per slider, yes they are M6 or 1/4" and we used to glass wing-nuts (SS) on the bottom, so it's relatively easy.
Correct, with 3 I ment the 2 for the slider plus the bolt through the gunwale. On my Ovington the 2 glassed in nuts are M6.

Last edited by a moderator: