Buying a new boat - what to do and what not to?

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
^^^^^ Wot he said and apply the KISS principle to systems onboard you should not need a Doctorate in Marine Electrical to troubleshoot , sophisticated on a boat is often asking for trouble.

A famous US manufacturer would often package electronics installed only prob was it was the model that looked fine but had been superseded by several iterations of improvement to the model And good luck with  service it was almost at the end of its service life.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
had a friend buy a brand new 44 footer, what a nightmare , things he needed to add, problems the broker refused to fix, pretty much it is what it is, 

They had T-shirts made up about the boat ( well know brand) that the boat was a lemon and handed out cards at last years Annapolis boat show saying not to buy this boat from this broker on Long Island ,which the broker was going to sue them for! Finally a another broker of the same yachts, said bring the yacht to his yard and under the warranty would fix all the problems, 

Buying a used boat many add on come with the boat, a lot of stuff you don't think about, and the price of these new add on is out of this world , including cost of New, and labor cost of installing them,

Like any thing else BUYER BEWARE , all sales people ( car, real estate, boats...........)  want is you $$$$$$$$$$$$.00 and could give a shit about you !

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I've never bought a boat new but several of my friends have, and the one thing that seems common is that even a new boat is going to take at least a season, possibly two, to work out all of the teething issues.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
had a friend buy a brand new 44 footer, what a nightmare , things he needed to add, problems the broker refused to fix, pretty much it is what it is, 

They had T-shirts made up about the boat ( well know brand) that the boat was a lemon and handed out cards at last years Annapolis boat show saying not to buy this boat from this broker on Long Island ,which the broker was going to sue them for! Finally a another broker of the same yachts, said bring the yacht to his yard and under the warranty would fix all the problems, 

Buying a used boat many add on come with the boat, a lot of stuff you don't think about, and the price of these new add on is out of this world , including cost of New, and labor cost of installing them,

Like any thing else BUYER BEWARE , all sales people ( car, real estate, boats...........)  want is you $$$$$$$$$$$$.00 and could give a shit about you !
MM?

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I think they actually care a lot about their client base. You can count on repeat customers if you provide a quality experience for both the seller and buyer. Smooth transactions are often difficult to accomplish and the heavy lifting falls on the broker. 

bissona

Thanks all, there's some fantastic advice on here. 

One final question relates to payment profile. While I have faith in the dealer involved, I would normally expect to retain 10%-20% to resolve any issues on arrival. The boat will be delivered without cloth, however, so no chance to test sail within the first few weeks. What % would you expect to retain until you could step aboard and at least check electronics, etc were working?

svitale

Anarchist
For the Pogo 36, it is 30% to start, 30% a month in, 30% when they join the hull and deck about 45 days later then 10% at delivery. 

adrianl

Here there would be no retained money - have to register ownership with the state and / or Coastguard and I can't imagine any dealer will turn over the title without payment in full!!

mpbeagle

Delaware
I think they actually care a lot about their client base. You can count on repeat customers if you provide a quality experience for both the seller and buyer. Smooth transactions are often difficult to accomplish and the heavy lifting falls on the broker. 
Some really do, some don't.  Unlike car dealers they are less regulated and so there is more variability.  I bought one boat from a dealer at AYS and he was wonderful-I would go back to him any day.  I recently bought a new boat from a different broker in RI who was so irresponsible and a BS artist, I wouldn't go within a hundred miles of him.  But new customers don't know unless they talk to someone who has used that broker before.

Latest posts