Buying a used Star

MegaHertz

Ontario
Is there anything I should be looking for when buying these boats? I'm going to be new to the class and I'm currently looking at some entry level boats. Mainly Gerrards in the 6500 hull number range.

On a second note I found this in my internet searches.

http://usedboatsofdetroit.com/sailboats.htm

I'm just wondering why there are so many of them in detroit? Most of them look to be in pretty rough shape.

Mike Hunt

Anarchist
Where in Ontario are you? You should talk to John Finch or Larry Scott. No one in the area knows more about the boats. Between them they have owned most of the boats in the Toronto and Hamilton fleets. Send me a message and I can put you in touch with them.

Cement_Shoes

Super Anarchist
A to Z
Talking with the local fleet captains is a great idea.

As Mike says they often know the boats in the area and can point you in the direction of a boat that fits your needs.

MegaHertz

Ontario
Thanks

I'm gonna be in hamilton this weekend for rock the hammer. And checking out the scratch sheet now, I notice that larry will be there so i'll see if i can find him.

surf nazi

Super Anarchist
Solo said:
look for straight mast, spreader brackets not bent, holes not too worn out, mast butt and track not worn out, backstay blocks not blown out and well supported, no crazy dimples/indentations on foredeck and aft deck, rudder post condition, tanks sealed/dry, peek inside the port by the forestay and check the blocks and leads inside. everything else is easily replaceable.s.

Good advice. None of those 6500 series mid 80's boats should be more than $1500. You can find much newer nicer boats than those for only a little more. Check the star class website or google Rick Peters for his contact info. He knows more about the used star market than anyone. Also don't worry about the crack between the keel and skeg. Older stars are the best deal by far of any boat. There are many boats around but the buyers are limited to actual racers. You will love the boat. Get one.

Mike Hunt

Anarchist
you're gonna want to sail out the RHYC then. good talent at the fleet there and very helpful. WLOC was just formed last year. Brian Cramer, Larry Scott, John Finch, Mark Passmore, etc all class guys.

All true.... We generally sail Tuesday nights - leaving the dock between 4:30-5ish. Come on down to check it our or send me a message if you want to go for a spin.

Regatta Dog

Super Anarchist
Stay away from this one. ;)

david-hasselhoff-click-los-angeles-premiere-07xqbb.jpg

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I could buy a useable Star for $1500?

Obviuosly not one to go win the worlds in. Not that I could even with a new one anyway :lol: - but one that wouldn't fall apart that I could sail around in for fun.

Good advice. None of those 6500 series mid 80's boats should be more than $1500. You can find much newer nicer boats than those for only a little more. Check the star class website or google Rick Peters for his contact info. He knows more about the used star market than anyone. Also don't worry about the crack between the keel and skeg. Older stars are the best deal by far of any boat. There are many boats around but the buyers are limited to actual racers. You will love the boat. Get one.