Buying Gold Online

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Anyone here buy gold online?

I'm thinking about diversifying my portfolio and buying some investment gold or silver bullion, bars or one oz coins.  I'd dollar cost average into the investment, buying an oz every month or so. 

Any experience, recommendations of firms?  Better yet, any firms to avoid? 

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Charlie,

live bought all my gold from a local coin/pawn shop.  That way you take immediate possession  no having to worry about ups or fed ex dropping the ball.  

alos. Keep Mind any transactions over 10k dollars paid with cash or cashiers check are reported to the irs.

mikewof

mikewof
Anyone here buy gold online?

I'm thinking about diversifying my portfolio and buying some investment gold or silver bullion, bars or one oz coins.  I'd dollar cost average into the investment, buying an oz every month or so. 

Any experience, recommendations of firms?  Better yet, any firms to avoid? 
Platinum seems a much better deal at the moment. And I'm no investment expert, but I've characterized platinum samples using x-ray diffraction and mass spec ... platinum coins from the U.S. Mint are considerably more pure than any other source I've seen, including scientific supply. Those coins say 99.95% pure, they are, I can vouch for it.

Get a few of these ladies, I suspect that you won't regret it ... https://catalog.usmint.gov/preamble-to-the-declaration-of-independence-2018-platinum-proof-coin-life-18EJ.html?cgid=platinum-coins#_ga=2.63804012.219821314.1527366551-1097517918.1527366551&start=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Floriduh pawn shops look sketchy at best. And they make change in Meth. There are several coin and jewelry shops with good reps, but they are way off my beaten path. 

Guitar

Super Anarchist
Cut out the middleman and buy from prospectors, most gold can be had at below spot. Although the gold is not five 9's, it still holds it's value and you can have it refined to pure for a small fee. Also, lots of fake gold bars out there, beware.

mikewof

mikewof
Cut out the middleman and buy from prospectors, most gold can be had at below spot. Although the gold is not five 9's, it still holds it's value and you can have it refined to pure for a small fee. Also, lots of fake gold bars out there, beware.
Some stuff out of the ground is more valuable than mere gold. Like that rock that you dissolved with acid to show the branches of the gold vein inside. That thing was gorgeous. A collector would probably pay five times the actual weight of the gold inside of that rock for the natural beauty of it.

Or Red Beryl, my son wants one. Or a large, cavernous geode, properly prepared, I see them sell for the price a decent used Lexus.

Do you still have a photo of that gold rock you made?

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
? why would one  buy  gold ?

, when it's just waiting to be picked up.  

I learned about  abandoned mines in my mountains,,

, stumbled on the first plumb accidental,  studying topo maps for Bambi / Ilk 

, and that got my curiosity interested.

, enough that I found my way to the hole that had been blasted into the base of a cliff,,

Hmmm,, I wonder who lives in there  ,,
, couldn't smell anything "suspicious",

, a small stream of water runs out the mouth of the adit.

flashlight on, , rifal safety off,  and walk in.

hand hewn 4x4s and steel strips  "railway" 

there are a couple of crosscuts that dead-end 

WAY in there, the shot had intersected a small aquifer, and water streams out and to the mouth.

At the face, the ends of the hole pattern from the very last shot are visible

and it is 1100~1200 feet from the mouth.

---------------------------------------

The Hogback guys found "chief values in gold"

The boys down at the Blue Star were getting "gold, silver & copper"

Across the river, the Hephizabah  claims show  "silver and gold".

An inspector for an investment group witnessed a test shot in "the gulley"

, collected ore samples which assayed at $115 t

, but that $115 was in 1901 dollars, , 

, and those guys are all DTS.

, and those mines are "LOST" ,,

the interwebs  found one guy

" ,, was less than 100 ft from the GPS location ,,"

from another mine in the area but couldn't find it.

, a shitload of research,

, found some time period maps when the only transportation was mule trains.

, and a couple other clews,,

:)   and finally the snow is about melted enough to get 

B) The Hunt is ON!! 

I have a pan and small sluice you can borrow.

, so a quick lesson from Parker, 

Thar's  GOLD in them hills,

;) , nuggets biggern yer fist !

Guitar

Super Anarchist
Some stuff out of the ground is more valuable than mere gold. Like that rock that you dissolved with acid to show the branches of the gold vein inside. That thing was gorgeous. A collector would probably pay five times the actual weight of the gold inside of that rock for the natural beauty of it.

Or Red Beryl, my son wants one. Or a large, cavernous geode, properly prepared, I see them sell for the price a decent used Lexus.

Do you still have a photo of that gold rock you made?

DSCF2087.JPG

DSCF2088.JPG

We have a 36 acre claim right below our house and have another private property claim with two ore occurrences that I am chasing down the vein which is at a 45° dip. Old timers (1850ish) took all the easy stuff then caved the diggings so they could come back and go deeper. Never came back. This is some of the gold they left in the dump.

586.0 sm.jpg

Then of course there is the placer gold you find in the streams...

DSCF2489.JPG

But the yeller stuff is small taters compared to what you can get for one of these..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter's_Mill_meteorite

Guitar

Super Anarchist
All my specimens are mounted and encased. No touchy.

Very few were found related to how many there were. There are some on our claim as well as on our property but unsure how they would look after being in the environment. Some say they would weather away, some say because they are carbonaceous chondrite, or carbon based, they should retain their black surface. I won't sacrifice my wife's sample to explore this debate. Wife's meteorite on Wikipedia.

8.5_gram_Sutter%27s_Mill_Meteorite.jpg

All the dots to the east were found by my group (Nelson / Cox) over a three day period and after review the strew field was redefined. SM68 still resides at home. Our house is just a bit north of the eastern most dot and I found that meteorite right next to where my car stopped running and I was waiting for a tow. Pretty fucking weird. Not to mention we were standing below this as it was breaking up and coming down. Made the weirdest sound. The wife saw the smoke from it, I didn't and her brother was down near Yosemite and saw it streak through the sky.

Recovered finds

The confirmed finds listed below are given in order of SM number assigned. This will be regularly updated. If you find errors, please let us know.

Guitar

Super Anarchist
I'll mention something else I have noticed when dealing with minerals, it's all cash, no receipts. wink, wink.

The price of gold and silver are manipulated on the open market. Cost to recover is based on grams per ton, sometimes minus one gram per ton.

When the market dumps, mines close but don't necessarily cause a shortage in gold.