Buying property in Baja Mexico - anyone done it?

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
We're thinking of buying a beach house in Mexico along the coast in Baja Malibu south of Tijuana or similar.  Does anyone here have any experience with the area, the pros/cons of owning property in Mexico, Any pitfalls, etc?  Any decent Sailing down there?  

TIA!

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
We're thinking of buying a beach house in Mexico along the coast in Baja Malibu south of Tijuana or similar.  Does anyone here have any experience with the area, the pros/cons of owning property in Mexico, Any pitfalls, etc?  Any decent Sailing down there?  

TIA!
Talk to watzizname..... The drunk coke addict that used to post here.... You really want people like that for neighbors in your vacation home when you've got that in your hometown home?

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Can be fraught with issues - land ownership is murky. Several areas in Mex have had 'elijo's (?) past owners take back land. You need to talk to someone local to the area about title to the land.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
I would not. Mexico is getting more tenuous all the time. It’s not the old Baja or Mexico…..unfortunately. I’d pick Costa Rica…..in fact I almost did. 
Yeah, we've thought about CR pretty hard.  Baja was appealing because it's a relatively easy drive from Vegas.  6-7 hours max.  

Anymore insight into how mexico is getting "tenuous"?  Specifics or examples?

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
Can be fraught with issues - land ownership is murky. Several areas in Mex have had 'elijo's (?) past owners take back land. You need to talk to someone local to the area about title to the land.
Yeah, the one property we are looking at supposedly has actual title insurance by American Title.  That is the one area I'm pretty nervous about.

mikewof

mikewof
Yeah, we've thought about CR pretty hard.  Baja was appealing because it's a relatively easy drive from Vegas.  6-7 hours max.  

Anymore insight into how mexico is getting "tenuous"?  Specifics or examples?

Please talk to Rick. He is down there half the year and has been there since he was a teenager. I am confident that you can get an accurate view of the situation from him.

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
I have spent up to 3 months a year in Baja for the last 20+ years.

We've experienced a couple of shakedowns of which half were our own fault.  We were playing stupid games so we won stupid prizes.

Never felt like our lives were in danger.

Most of the folks who get into trouble with the bad guys are either bad guys or fucking with the bad guys.

Recently there seems to have been an uptick in reported instances (it always seems to be someone who knows someone had X happen to a friend) in our area so we're not driving cross country solo at night.  All in all its probably safer down there than walking around my neighborhood in downtown Long Beach.

By the way we're on leased land.  Additionally, when we built our place the guiding principal was we have to be able to lose it all or be able to walk away without adversely impacting our long term financial future. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't believe google. They know jack about MEX. PBD makes some very valid points I'd have to agree with.

You are essentially on your own, especially in Baja Norte or Sur. If you keep to yourself and don't ruffle any local feathers, you should be fine.

Make a stink and behave like an entitled a-hole American, one could wind up in a ditch somewhere. The land is beautiful and the people are great otherwise.

For property, you'll require a trustworthy caretaker. If not, vacant homes are targets. Condos are more easily managed without the burden of single dwelling structures.

Baja is like a Kool Place to drop yer Hook

Subject to change in a moment

Forget about Buying "Not Allowed"

Leasing for 50 / 100 years ..... Only as good as the person who leased it to you "Do they own it ?"

Just Rent - that can be risky still But Less up-front on the line

Don't be Flashy, drive a POS and don't wash it

You are a Guest no matter how long you have been there

Do Not start/open a Business, you will have stepped on someones toes and They (or their friends) will Not be happy

for starters  ....................

b green

I like Mexico, been going down since i was 16 (71now)....I would never take anything to Mexico that I would not be prepared to lose. life  is cheep in Mexico (and other places). The cops can be a big problem.  secret to life= do not make problems for yourself.

chester

Super Anarchist

LuisSilvan

Yo hello friend from hot Mexico! A great place to buy a house in this place, I live here and take pleasure for the second year after I moved from cold Canada. I bought a house with my own money and took out a small mortgage because I didn't have enough money. I love this place, you can do anything here and live your life in pleasure.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I would not. Mexico is getting more tenuous all the time. It’s not the old Baja or Mexico…..unfortunately. I’d pick Costa Rica…..in fact I almost did.
A friend here had to sell because of that land issue. IIRC, you own the house but not the land and it gets sticky very quickly. Another friend winters there every year without issue as far as I know.

Latest posts