Buying property in Baja Mexico - anyone done it?

chester

Super Anarchist
you know trhat saying about the 3 things you should always rent? property in a foriegn county should be added

Code 2

Anarchist
My parents bought a home in the coastal zone 40 years ago. I have been going there since I was a kid. They had several forms of ownership that originally did not include the land and eventually had to create a Mexican corporation to purchase the land and effectively own the property. I think the process took about 5+ years. My step-mom is fluent in Spanish. She is not deterred by anything. I think even with a solid background with real estate it always sounds like a run around - just a bunch of red tape. Every year I hear about the process to pay taxes through the Mexican lawyers and frankly when it becomes mine I am not sure what to do with it. I haven't been to the house until recently for about 5 years. Wife wont go. Its just a different vibe now - and she drove with me to Cabo more than once back in the day. Mexico is just not the same - but I still love it every time I go.

If you play dumb games down there you will get dumb prizes is about the truest statement ever.

View from the upstairs patio.
Mex.jpg

chester

Super Anarchist
My parents bought a home in the coastal zone 40 years ago. I have been going there since I was a kid. They had several forms of ownership that originally did not include the land and eventually had to create a Mexican corporation to purchase the land and effectively own the property. I think the process took about 5+ years. My step-mom is fluent in Spanish. She is not deterred by anything. I think even with a solid background with real estate it always sounds like a run around - just a bunch of red tape. Every year I hear about the process to pay taxes through the Mexican lawyers and frankly when it becomes mine I am not sure what to do with it. I haven't been to the house until recently for about 5 years. Wife wont go. Its just a different vibe now - and she drove with me to Cabo more than once back in the day. Mexico is just not the same - but I still love it every time I go.

If you play dumb games down there you will get dumb prizes is about the truest statement ever.

View from the upstairs patio.
View attachment 527715
"Mexico is just not the same"

Is anywhere?

Billy Bob

New Zealand
I owned a place in Baja. Todos Santos. Mine was in a Mexicans name who my family who lived there trusted. It is called a presta nombre. As far as I know that is one of the only ways your property can't be taken by the Mexican government from you, if they wanted to.
In Mexico their system runs on what they call "mordida" otherwise known as the pay off. someone in Mexico is always going to get a piece of the action, so beware. If your good with that Mexico is your oyster.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Then there is the health care…….

Years ago, Missus BB had to visit a Dentist while working on a program in Mexico, when she was a Tour Director. She had an abscessed tooth or something. Without washing his hands or donning gloves, the Dentist pulled her cheek open to look at the tooth. He hollered to his Assistant in the other room, "Hey, Juanita, come and have a look at this one!!". After that, I think he took care of the problem, but it put her off of any future "Doctor" visits in Mexico for good!

LuisSilvan

Yo hello friend from hot Mexico! A great place to buy a house in this place, I live here and take pleasure for the second year after I moved from cold Canada. I bought a house with my own money and took out a small mortgage because I didn't have enough money. I love this place, you can do anything here and live your life in pleasure.
Mortgage loans here are a little unsatisfactory, unlike in Canada, but there is no other choice. Therefore, before doing this, it is best to get advice from Mortgage Advisor London so that you choose the right mortgage for yourself and then you don't have problems with the bank. I wish you good luck in acquiring property here!

Ishmael

Fuctifino
My sister and her husband have lived in Mexico for years, by Guaymas on the other side of the Gulf of California. They love it there and are contemplating selling their current house and building new. Medical care has been no issue for them, they both say they have received first-class service through several operations.
One data point only.

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
If the cost of your Baja home is just fun money like this here philippine rainforest palace, then the most basic cautions can suffice. I also have the benefit of a local spouse who has some insight into the local machinations, which an innocent Yank completely lacks. But if the investment is more than that I would put one of the cross-border law firms on the case and follow all their advice.

Reactions: pbd