BWR - LiveSkipper

It was about 1130 EST so 430 GMT? I don't completely remember now
Thanks alot for the info! I was watching your boat and thought "Hmmh - will he get the shift and can sail on the layline to the southern pin off the Finish line?" Wind within the LS had nothing to do with the forcast by Ugrib - I was going to get mad about this point in the game...

Cheers, Joachim

jfr

Scottmax - It looks like the two of us are in a tacking duel here in the Med. I'm at 1242 and you at 1227 at the moment. One last uphill slog and we'll be finished. Hopefully we'll make it to Barcelona over the weekend. I was going to go camping for three days, but not now - the race is on!

scottmax

Super Anarchist
Scottmax - It looks like the two of us are in a tacking duel here in the Med. I'm at 1242 and you at 1227 at the moment. One last uphill slog and we'll be finished. Hopefully we'll make it to Barcelona over the weekend. I was going to go camping for three days, but not now - the race is on!

Looks like you will get me in the end. It would have been nice to break into the 1100 by the end of the race but it not going to be. Considering I feel back as far as 2200 to finish where I am am is not to disapointing.

I hope to finish today!!

Skalpel

Australia
Just wondering which SA virtual skippers have finished?

I managed 883.

And who is still going?

I still have 3 boats racing, wing, moskito and venom.

Must get a life.

Might build a virtual 70ft alloy tri and emulate Mr. Vann.

S.

scottmax

Super Anarchist
I should finish in the next few minutes. I managed to crack the 1100 barrier. Might not sound a great finish but from where I dropped back to over the the moments i could not get to a computer I am happy enough. Final finish spot will be looked at in the morning but at the moment I finished in 1198 position.

Try Again finished. Finally

Have officially finished my final position was 1177. Now time to find another thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfr

I finished last night at 1163, not bad for having started in the 3400's. Of course, I started two weeks late, just outside the Med, so my time doesn't really count for much, compared to those doing the full race.

But, it was lots of fun doing the weather routing (I used the grib viewer from grib.us), always seeking the maximum wind. I didn't study the polars for the virtual boats, but my strategy of always sailing at maximum speed (for a particular sail configuration) seemed to work well, as I consistently moved forward in ranking. In other words, pinching tighter to the rhumb line wasn't worth it, even though some of my tacks/gybes were larger than 90 degrees.

The algorithm that the game used to determine ranking was extremely weird. Never could figure it out, so I tried to ignore it, especially when it gave me bad news. The only "true" rankings you could believe were right at the moment you passed a waypoint. For example, I was in the 1600's at Cape Horn, but then took a wide swing east up the South Atlantic, and for a while I dropped back to 2400! I could see other boats (like Syrenka) who were clearly behind me, yet were ranked MUCH better. As I approached Fernando my rank dropped insanely fast to 1400. The finish line was the same: Five minutes away I was 1185, and then Pow! it said my final rank was 1163.

Anyway, fun thread, fun game. Checking what everyone else was doing every time I logged on made it a lot better. Hell, I'm still watching the rest of you. Wing, Smack, and Syrenka are in some serious competition right now.

Skalpel: Four boats? You really ARE an addict.

And Sailingkid: The gribs say that the low you're riding should push you out and up so that you miss (and then ride north) the high that fills in behind it. But watch out for Venom, as he's not that far behind you...

Skalpel

Australia
Wing finally finished. 1575 from a start position of 3300.

Why is it midnight when you have do lots of tacks?

My moskito is being hounded by miskito.

Sent pm to warn her.

SHOW ME YOUR TITS.

All good fun.

What happened to Smack?

S

Vigil Ant

I'm on my 2nd BWR race. Finished in the top 120 after starting 1,800th. Then I started again! Hey, it's been below 0F here in Wisconsin for weeks, so this is a nice diversion. Racing as zowee, I just passed through the capetown gate. It's a lot easier with the autopilot, which wasn't available until my first boat was almost at Cape Horn.

I'm also on sailonline.org as zowee.

See you all at the finish line!

scottmax

Super Anarchist
I'm on my 2nd BWR race. Finished in the top 120 after starting 1,800th. Then I started again! Hey, it's been below 0F here in Wisconsin for weeks, so this is a nice diversion. Racing as zowee, I just passed through the capetown gate. It's a lot easier with the autopilot, which wasn't available until my first boat was almost at Cape Horn.
I'm also on sailonline.org as zowee.

See you all at the finish line!
What auto pilot. How did you you turn that on??

AKushTic

Greece
I just rounded the Horn passing about 150 boats in the last two days :blink: but i am stuck with 6knots of wind right now. Seems the Horn isn t as bad as people say :p

StarSailor is my boat name, if anyone is around there to start racing to the finish line

Skalpel

Australia
I just rounded the Horn passing about 150 boats in the last two days :blink: but i am stuck with 6knots of wind right now. Seems the Horn isn t as bad as people say :p
StarSailor is my boat name, if anyone is around there to start racing to the finish line
Crone and Venom will race you.

Catch us if you can.

Vigil Ant

scottmax,

I'm afraid that I'm giving you the autopilot information when you have just finished the race! That's too bad, because it makes it a LOT easier!

The rest of you guys are using the auto pilot, right?