BYC-Mac

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
When ORR/Americap came to Chicago, there was an uproar.  Every thing we thought we knew had changed, per ratings. 

Situation normal. 

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
My Olson 29 inboard rated 646.1 which puts me in a different class and a different course than the Olson 30 which rates 663.4. Most rating systems find the two pretty similar. IRC  rates my 29 at .980 and the 30's I've found at .973 to .981.

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
My Olson 29 inboard rated 646.1 which puts me in a different class and a different course than the Olson 30 which rates 663.4. Most rating systems find the two pretty similar. IRC  rates my 29 at .980 and the 30's I've found at .973 to .981.
Sounds like you got a good deal. Hope that the rest of your new class is not reading SA.

I owe the other boats in my OD class about 12 minutes for some mysterious reason. US sailing wants me to pay $50/rating to get access to the competition. I admittedly, struggled with the rating portal and relied heavily on US sailing to get it done. Wishing now that I was more savvy. 

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
I wasn't complaining. Just had hoped to sail in the same class as the O30. Same hull, very similar boat. Every other rating system has us basically even. I'm not sure how much speed that difference represents.

How did they handle it for the Level 35"s  Highest ORR to everyone?

XII. Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Race J35/T35 One Design

Rules

A. Rating Certificates:

All Boats must obtain and submit an ORR Certificate per Notice of Race

B. J35/T35 One Design Class Scoring:

All boats in the J35/T35 Class will be scored using the fastest ORR Certificate submitted from the J35/T35 Class. (this will ensure the “order of finish” matches the “place in class” after time correction)

C. J35/T35 One Design Overall Scoring:

Boats sailing in the J35/T35 One Design Class will be included in the overall scoring using the fastest ORR Certificate submitted from the J35/T35 Class. 

This  is interesting so Bills ORR .862 and the fast J boats get the  T-35s Shitty ORR fastest rating... no division flags for U!  Snipe ORR .888?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky Dog

Detroit
ORR is why I am not racing Mac this year.  I am forced to race long course - not bad, I like the longer race BUT then have to get a ORR certificate.

Its the cost and mystery aspect of the ratings.  I will not pay monies to get competitors certificates - they seem to have gotten their certificates tweaked so .....

Money does matter to me for one race a year usage.  I consider it a complete waste.  I would rather support my local area guys - DRYA 

Perhaps next year.  Oh yeah each time I tell the BYC guys my thoughts - i get a lecture .....

lartaunt

Super Anarchist
XII. Bell’s Beer Bayview Mackinac Race J35/T35 One Design

Rules

A. Rating Certificates:

All Boats must obtain and submit an ORR Certificate per Notice of Race

B. J35/T35 One Design Class Scoring:

All boats in the J35/T35 Class will be scored using the fastest ORR Certificate submitted from the J35/T35 Class. (this will ensure the “order of finish” matches the “place in class” after time correction)

C. J35/T35 One Design Overall Scoring:

Boats sailing in the J35/T35 One Design Class will be included in the overall scoring using the fastest ORR Certificate submitted from the J35/T35 Class. 

This  is interesting so Bills ORR .862 and the fast J boats get the  T-35s Shitty ORR fastest rating... no division flags for U!  Snipe ORR .888?
Okay, that is the same thing they have been doing with us in Chicago Mac for the last 3 years.   I was just wondering if they had taken a different approach.  ORR is willing to work with us next year to maybe come up with an average rating or something but just too late to get it done this year.

ORR is a more accurate handicap in my mind at least for the J35 on Lake Mi but then again we rate 69 over here on the West side instead of 72 like everywhere else in the country. 

I hear you, same class. We raced the shore course so we could race against a great collection of boats similar to ours. We submitted our ORR Certificate recently and received the email from BYC stating we rated out of Shore with an ORR 649.7.  The cutoff is in the Notice of Race obviously but we never assumed we'd rate faster ORR than it based on the previous year's course splits. So, who else previously in Shore Course Racing will see Cove Island buoy this year? Only about 150 people on the planet may actually care! I hope a bunch of boats receive the notice to race Cove because its has been so fun and challenging to race essentially boat for boat against the X-102, 35MKII, the Olsons, Farr 3/4, 10.3, 9.1, J/34, J/92 etc. Cove offers a lot more options tactically and has that high lonesome twang to it compared to the Shore course drag race, so we are stoked in that respect.  I think we all are hoping that 660 cutoff brings in enough boats for the same tense class racing we've experienced over the past few years with boats in the 96-130 phrf,  0.800-0.840ish ToT. range.  

Right now, I see the slowest Cove class as containing at least the O 29, Mirage 338, Frers 33, C&C41CB, 4 NA40s, C&C 40-2, Peterson 37,  38s5, and 2 Beneteau 42s. Its clear the J/34, C&C 35MkII, Olson 30 are out. Unknowns are the Farr 34, j/92, Hanse 370, C&C 99, and X102, Catalina 470, 30SX.   Judging from the O 29 and O 30 difference ORR, its hard to predict. Looking forward to when the BYC scratch sheet reflects the Notice of Race cutoffs and course designations.  Maybe that will come only when they release the class breaks after all the certs are in. Right now, it shows ToT ratings and course breakdowns consistent with last year's splits.

Side note: Our phrf rating when up for the first time in forever this year which is ironic as our first ORR cert rates it faster. It challenges my on the water witness that a 33' boat weighing 9300 lbs without crew, on a 26'7" waterline with a DL of 215 is faster all around than a Olson 30. Its got greater I, P, E and J measurements so maybe that's part of the answer in addition to modeled wind velocity. Eq