BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

Read the latest from the BYC Mac committee? 

Like 15 boats in the harbor at the island.  Maybe none.  You can tie up at the coal docks for a couple hours when you finish, then you MUST leave. 

Many DNR harbors in MI have limited space because of high water, dock damage and social distancing.  May mean a “turn and burn” at the island and then non-stop return.  

I respect their determination, but it's time to cancel the race. 

[SIZE=11pt]Full announcement here: [/SIZE]https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm 

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Some of us love to sail. We had a sled, you get there quick. We moved to the slowest rated boat in the race and got to enjoy sailing more. Turn and burn would be a complete joy.

PaulK

Super Anarchist
Maybe aiming to enjoy the company of those on board instead of the partying en masse will attract a different crowd of participants. Kudos to BYC for making the effort to maintain - and sustain - this event. 

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
Read the latest from the BYC Mac committee? ... F[SIZE=11pt]ull announcement here: [/SIZE]https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm 
Thank you for posting the link.

Like 15 boats in the harbor at the island.  Maybe none.  You can tie up at the coal docks for a couple hours when you finish, then you MUST leave. 

Many DNR harbors in MI have limited space because of high water, dock damage and social distancing.  May mean a “turn and burn” at the island and then non-stop return.  

I respect their determination, but it's time to cancel the race
I don’t follow your reasoning.

If you are unhappy with the experience that they are able to offer this year, that’s fine,  just don’t participate (as the notice says, full refund should are available for any competitors cancelling by June 30th). But others feel differently... why should they be deprived of the opportunity?

FWIW, I congratulate the committee on its attitude:

(F)ocus on the positive. We are racing while very few others are this season.
Bravo, BYC!  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,  

Read your comments and I now understand.  I was wrong.  It was not my place to tell you or BYC what to do. 

It is up to each individual sailor to determine if they should race and not me.

For those that participate in the race I sincerely hope you get fair winds and following seas.

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
We are going to do the race.  If we have to leave the island, we will just return to Harbor Springs (about 7 hours away).  Two hours on the island is plenty of time to hit Dowds for beer, sandwiches and ice. 

That stages us for our next event anyway...Ugotta Regatta.

Cheers.

Hroth

1sailor

Super Anarchist
We are going to do the race.  If we have to leave the island, we will just return to Harbor Springs (about 7 hours away).  Two hours on the island is plenty of time to hit Dowds for beer, sandwiches and ice. 

That stages us for our next event anyway...Ugotta Regatta.

Cheers.

Hroth
Same approach for Usual Suspects-- I think the BYC guys are really hauling ass to try and provide an event for US.   We'll turn and burn to HS too if that is what it comes down to....

TACNI

Detroit
Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.
You and many others have made the choice that's right for you. 

Seems to me like the racers are starting to come up with their own solutions to the situation on the island, not many are planing to dock there.  Regarding Covid, BYC and registered participants will be in compliance with state and federal rules/guidelines (as of this post 6/22/2020).  The last 4 months have been a sobering assessment, all of us have made our decisions based on the same information.  Those of us set to participate obviously don't think the race should be canceled.

REW

Anarchist
In case you didn't see it this was the Medical advice BYC sent out.  Take particular note of the advice on Hot Bunking:

Precautions all Participants and Family Should Consider

Dr. Marc Rosenthal, BYC Member

Race Information:

As all racers are aware Michigan along with the rest of the world is dealing with the Covid-19 Pandemic.  While the number of cases in Michigan, due to shelter in place, has markedly decreased, it is still present.  While medical facilities are not overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients, the patient's survival is more dependent on their current health, age and risk factors than on the quality of care.  Over the last 3 months Michigan had one of the highest case fatality rates in the US.  The disease can be lethal to many.  

With the above in mind, the question is how can a crew be best protected to prevent transmission and contracting the disease?

World Sailing recommends those over the age of 65 and significant comorbidities should not race.  That is a personal decision, those in this class are at higher risk of death not of transmitting the disease.

Pre-Race:

I would recommend that racers really isolate as best as possible starting 14 days before the race.  You may want to test the crew but realize that each test is only 70% accurate and is less so if the person is not symptomatic.  Self-quarantine is effective.  Use of social distancing and masks when out of the house and in any potentially confined area is recommended.   If at any time prior to the race including up to race day a crew member feels sick, they should not race unless they are asymptomatic for 5 days prior to the race.  If you become sick the day of the race do not race.  If you test positive you cannot race until all symptoms have abated and 5 days elapse.

Race day:

Any crew member with signs or symptoms of Covid-19 should not race.  The risk to the crew is too high. While they might not have Covid, but a cold, I think the risk is too great to the crew and racers in general.

Racing:

Per the Governor's executive order, social distancing is still required even by racers on a boat.  That means maintaining as best as possible 6 ft from others.  In addition, in the cabin and on deck at less than 6 ft Masks should be worn.  Covid spreads primarily via respiratory droplets, the mask protects others not you.  CDC states if social distancing is not possible, then masks are ok and required.

Things you can do to limit exposure include or allow more flexibility:

• [SIZE=10pt]Foredeck crew, no mask needed when on the foredeck, no others on foredeck.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]High winds and/or heavy rain probably masks not needed; exposure risk probably minimal.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Light air, exposure risk is higher so distancing as best as possible and mask will limit risk.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sleeping on deck will limit potential transmission.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For winch handles, contact risk is minimal but not zero.  One can assign a winch handle per crew per shift and clean it at the end of the shift or clean between uses as best as possible. As long as your hands do not touch your face prior to washing your hands, risk is low.  But have to keep hands away from face.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Have cleaning wipes on board and hand sanitizer to protect the crew.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For food, cleaning dishes and utensils with soap and water is sufficient, but you can use disposables to decrease risk and time down below.  Consider minimal cooking using hot water only and freeze-dried food or MREs.  Use fresh food (veggies, fruits, etc.)  without heating requirements.  Package after cleaning into per person or daily bags.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For sleeping in berths, since hot berthing is the norm, if you have couples on board, they should hot berth together.  Decreases exposure.   If not enough couples then pick wisely as to hot berthing mates.  But also consider boat safety with on deck crew requirements. Remember as ventilation in the cabin for the most part is poor, the risk is highest, so mask use by all down below is necessary.  Consider decreasing the need to be down below, make sure everything is stored correctly, chance of messes is decreased, bags are closed, etc.  [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]The Head should be wiped down really after every use with wipes or cleaning spray and paper towel.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]As best as possible try to air out the cabin and head as much as possible given the conditions.[/SIZE]

Covid-19 Symptoms

Symptoms can be highly varied but include:

Classic:

• [SIZE=10pt]Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Cough[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fever (Temperature over 100.4 F)[/SIZE]

Not classic but common:

• [SIZE=10pt]Congestion[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Headache[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sinus symptoms[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Vomiting and/or diarrhea.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fatigue[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Chills[/SIZE]

If at any time during the race a crew member has the above symptoms, isolate them as best as possible, everyone needs to use protection all the time. If someone becomes ill, withdraw from the race or other area where contact with others is possible and make way to an area with a hospital.

Marc S Rosenthal, PhD, DO, FACEP, FAEMS

Stargazer, 3839

GPSC Fleet Surgeon

[email protected]

Emergency/EMS Physician

Medical Physicist

Attending Physician, Sinai-Grace Hospital/DMC 

Medical Director, Emergency Management and EMS, SGH/DMC

Supervisory Medical Officer, DHHS/ASPR/EMMO/NDMS/DMAT MI-1 

Assoc. Program Director, Wayne State EMS Fellowship

Deputy Medical Director, Detroit East Medical Control Authority

Chair, American College of Emergency Physicians, Disaster Preparedness and Response Committee

Fast Laser

Chicago
Good on BYC for trying to run the race.  I did get a chuckle about the BYC expert advice on "Hot Bunking" but the crew on boats from Illinois should have an easier time "social distancing" because I'm sure they will only bring 8 adults on their boat per their Governor's Boating Guideline for boats over 38 feet :rolleyes:

No, BYC fixed that for you in their latest pronouncement.

“Based on this information, any boat that wants to withdraw because we may not have access to the harbor at this time can do so by 30 June 2020. You can choose to have a refund or apply your entry fee to the 2021 race.”