BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

Mask up Michigan

we got the cell text from the Lansing about the mask up order yesterday 7/13/2020. so state wide everyone with a cell phone is on notice about  face covering it's the law now. The "Businesses MUST refuse entry or service to those who do not wear a face covering" part will go over like a lead balloon 

Mask up Michigan

“It’s incumbent on every one of us to mask-up, from the White House, to the state house, everywhere in between,” Whitmer said. “We are seeing this play out across the country. We have to do our part to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Last edited by a moderator:

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
Well, we are back from the Mac.  It was a fun, bumpy, wet ride.   The experience was well worth it.  We arrived on the island about 0630 Monday...about the 21st boat to finish.  The place was quiet as expected.  Docked at the coal docks as instructed for our touch-and-go.  Turned in the tracker as instructed.  Went to Dowd's as planned to replenish our beer and ice supply.  Hit the road for Harbor Springs about 0830 without another boat having come in the coal docks.

Everything went off without a hitch.  I guess we'll all just wait for 14 days to see if someone had the COVID...but I doubt it.  After all, but then we'll need to be racing in Ugotta!

Cheers.

Hroth

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
Well, we are back from the Mac.  It was a fun, bumpy, wet ride.   The experience was well worth it.  We arrived on the island about 0630 Monday...about the 21st boat to finish.  The place was quiet as expected.  Docked at the coal docks as instructed for our touch-and-go.  Turned in the tracker as instructed.  Went to Dowd's as planned to replenish our beer and ice supply.  Hit the road for Harbor Springs about 0830 without another boat having come in the coal docks.

Everything went off without a hitch.  I guess we'll all just wait for 14 days to see if someone had the COVID...but I doubt it.  After all, but then we'll need to be racing in Ugotta!

Cheers.

Hroth
Thanks for this great little update.

Inconseavable has not pulled the plug yet,  Gordon Watson in a Tartan 30 may still be racing! The boats tracking on the brick and acting like it's sailing toward the finish at .2 knots OUCH. 47 miles to go. He could get a very nice flag for his efforts. And really sick.

From the byc mac race site

image.jpeg

About Inconseavable...

The Inconseavable, of the House of Buttercup, 4th of Its Name, Wench of Winches and Buccaneers, Skipper of the Great Great Lakes, No Breaker of Booms, and Captain of Cotterpins, Whose Crew Drinks and Knows Things.

Last edited by a moderator:

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
Can safely say I've never seen a Mac before where every foot of the race from start to finish was hard on the wind. 100% beating and no favored board on the rhumb line.  Could have left the kites home. 

Apparent wind said 24 knots at most but with a reef, #4 jib, and 7 knots of boat speed to get us through rollers that might have been 8 feet, not sure I believe that. Sure was fun to drive in, though. 

Regarding covid.  Our entire boat was tested and came back negative. I know of many boats that did the same. I also know of one that did not sail because a crew member tested positive. I doubt the chances of an outbreak from this race are high. There is no race party. Many boats and crew left immediately, or at least early. This is not covid stew. If you think the race should not have happened, what you really think is all the bars and restaurants should close because that's where you'll get it if at all. My hat is off to the race chair. 

Inconseavable has not pulled the plug yet,  Gordon Watson in a Tartan 30 may still be racing! The boats tracking on the brick and acting like it's sailing toward the finish at .2 knots OUCH. 47 miles to go. He could get a very nice flag for his efforts. And really sick..
Yeah, I've been watching him too.  At 1300 his DTF was 44.1 NM and he was doing 4.4 kts and heading toward the island.  Windy shows SE winds at 12kts.  He may be the only guy to fly a kite in the entire race.

Last year he was a DNF and may have something to prove this year.  Gotta admire his determination (and other small boats) that watch the bigger boats pass by at 2X or 3X their speed with pro/semi-pro teams that make it in for dinner at the Pink Pony on Sunday evening.  This was not another easy cruise for him.  You know he struggled all the way.

Hope he makes it in before sunset tonight.

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Yeah, I've been watching him too.  At 1300 his DTF was 44.1 NM and he was doing 4.4 kts and heading toward the island.  Windy shows SE winds at 12kts.  He may be the only guy to fly a kite in the entire race.

Last year he was a DNF and may have something to prove this year.  Gotta admire his determination (and other small boats) that watch the bigger boats pass by at 2X or 3X their speed with pro/semi-pro teams that make it in for dinner at the Pink Pony on Sunday evening.  This was not another easy cruise for him.  You know he struggled all the way.

Hope he makes it in before sunset tonight.
When does the time expire? 

Shife

Super Anarchist
Mask up Michigan

we got the cell text from the Lansing about the mask up order yesterday 7/13/2020. so state wide everyone with a cell phone is on notice about  face covering it's the law now. The "Businesses MUST refuse entry or service to those who do not wear a face covering" part will go over like a lead balloon 

Mask up Michigan

“It’s incumbent on every one of us to mask-up, from the White House, to the state house, everywhere in between,” Whitmer said. “We are seeing this play out across the country. We have to do our part to make sure that doesn’t happen.”
This will end up like the other executive order that the Michigan Supreme Court threw out in a 7-0 ruling. Most sheriff depts have stated they will not enforce it. You can exercise prudent health precautions voluntarily and recognize executive over-reach at the same time. It requires pulling your head out of your ass, but it is possible.

Don't believe there is a time limit.  SI are silent about a limit, but does say, "The Skipper Check-In Desk will cease to be open two hours after the last boat is finished."  I view that as no time limit.

Just would like to see him in before it gets dark.  Update at 14:15 - speed is 5.6 kts and 38.6 NM out.  My guess for a finish is 21:45 - 20 minutes after sunset.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Don't believe there is a time limit.  SI are silent about a limit, but does say, "The Skipper Check-In Desk will cease to be open two hours after the last boat is finished."  I view that as no time limit.

Just would like to see him in before it gets dark.  Update at 14:15 - speed is 5.6 kts and 38.6 NM out.  My guess for a finish is 21:45 - 20 minutes after sunset.
This guy and his crew with their tenacity are my heroes. 

Anarchist
Chicago

image.png

oneguyfromdetroit

Super Anarchist
Detroit
We sailed this year. Huge props to Chris Clark and BYC for giving us the opportunity to sail. Those of you who chose not to sail missed a good race. It seems odd to not be heading to Chicago for their race.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Nice I raced against them and and kept in bounds - I call this cheating 

what do you guys say???
Looks like they tacked at the boundary, caught a lift and rode it a little too long. I don’t get it. In broad daylight, how did they not see the big purple line on the water?!?

Grinder

Super Anarchist
Chicago, IL
This is your social media wizardry at Bayview YC. 

Was this translated from Russian? 

“Notch another First for our Bayview Mackinac Race that goes on the history!

After months of planning the Bayview Mackinac Race this year went truly digital, fully automated and in true "real-time" with the finishes and all race Results.

With the current situation and social distancing requirements, the trailer at the finish had eliminated.  We worked with the group at Yellow Brick Tracking and setup for the trackers to automatically send the finish time for each boat directly to our system as they crossed the finish line.  That time stamp was stored and used to immediately calculate the Elapsed and Corrected times along with updating all of the results for the race.  This process allowed for the results to be instantaneously posted on the event web site upon every single boat finish!

A true, real-time automated scoring and results!  Another Bayview Yacht Club Race to Mackinac First!”

doghouse

Super Anarchist
All of you armchair quarterbacks can just fuck off, most especially JoeO.  The Bayview MSRs and the Chicago MSRs are nearly identical.  I dont seem to recall you bitching about them after one of your fellow Chicago sailors went overboard off Imedi and died.  I mean fuck, if we followed your moron logic they should permanently cancel the Chicago race if a person could actually die.

This weekend was one of the easiest BYC Macks in the last 35 years that I have been doing them.  Yeah it was upwind the whole way with some decent sized waves at times, but it was warm at night, no bugs, no rain, a nice light show in the Northern sky Saturday night, consistent breeze of 12-15 with occasional puffs to near 20, and done before dark on Sunday.

For those wondering about Flying Buffalo, one of the owners posted on Facebook they had to drop anchor as the lake was taking them South at up to 0.5 knots.  After 10 hours becalmed and 30+ miles behind the next nearest boat they called it a day.

Thanks to Chris Clark for running a great event.

MS
Moronic clown

It is Tuesday at 19:30 and the second slowest boat came in 12 hours ago.  INCONSEAVABLE is still about three hours from finishing.  But he wanted to finish. He could have called it off a long time ago, but he did not want to DNF as he did last year.

Hope he comes back next year.

Latest posts