BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

hrothgar

Super Anarchist
Ada, MI
It's now been almost two weeks since the race started.  Anyone know anyone who contracted COVID as a result of participating?  Either as delivery crew, race crew, race committee, race well-wisher?  Doubt it.

Just sayin...

Hroth

MR.CLEAN

Not here
DYC had some good boats out of there in the day, and one or two still.  They were really competitive.  That club building is a classic with quite the history.  The Detroit Boat Club is also a historical gem, that would be the most awesome restoration project, if someone had the jing for it.
it ain't the cash, it's that no one wants to commit given the price

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
It's now been almost two weeks since the race started.  Anyone know anyone who contracted COVID as a result of participating?  Either as delivery crew, race crew, race committee, race well-wisher?  Doubt it.

Just sayin...

Hroth
You think anybody's going to 'fess up?

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley

Just sayin...

Hroth
2 weeks since the start tomorrow... We need to see how things are on Monday, when most boats finished.  So far I've heard of zero cases, but that's purely anecdotal.  

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
So two weeks out and I'll provide a two point recap, I was on the J111 Freedom:

1) Regarding Covid.   I'm being real and sharing what we did, I probably wouldn't change a thing, if it makes you upset you should probably seek happiness in your life. 

Our crew of 8 had been meeting weekly since 5/19 to either practice or prep the boat.  This was in compliance with Governor Whitmer's mandate to not gather in groups larger than 10.  Most the time we wore gaiters as face coverings, not exactly N95 masks.  We attempted to social distance as much as possible, but 8 guys working and sailing on a J111 weekly for a couple of months that's near impossible. 

So in summary I'd say that as a group there was an ongoing chance for exposure on a weekly basis leading up to the race.  As such testing the group before the start didn't make much sense, in essence we were linked.  We were no more exposed than we would have been doing any one of the litany of permitted activities by our state, golf, grocery shopping, shopping at any big box retailer, hair cuts, rioting, looting, protesting, etc.... 

Two weeks out from our departure as a group, none has exhibited symptoms of Covid, nor has anyone associated with the crew has become sick with the virus.  

My final point.  At no point between our gathering in Port Huron to the end of the race (or almost end, more on that) did we come into contact with any other crew.  We were completely compartmentalized from other teams and organizers.  Assuming we finished the race and continued to our slip in Mackinac City things would have been the same.

2) Regarding the race, I'll be honest our performance was worse than Covid!.  It was definitely an upwind slog, a bit bumpy and wet, but not the worst that can be offered up by Lake Huron.  We did favor the right side of the course way too much the first day and it cost us.  We found ourselves firmly in the rear of our class by the end of the first day.

During the second day we were dealing with a little bit of water getting in the boat.  We were able to dewater everything that was coming in, but by the end of the day the water was able to get to the batteries when we were healed over on port tack.  This was a concern but we were still able to dewater the boat.  We knew that the hatch leaked a little and the bowsprit let a little in also, but it didn't account for the volume of water we were seeing.  On Sunday night when faced with the prospect of bumpy upwind ride with an unknown source of water entering the boat in the dark, while manageable at the time, we decided to pull into Alpena and retire.  A tough choice, I felt like continuing but the skipper and crew had enough.  In the end it was the right choice.

In Alpena we determined that the water was getting into the boat through a disconnected scupper.  When the following seas reached the drain hole in the transom it was letting the water into the boat.  An easy fix once identified, but it might not have been as easily identifiable in the dark, so I feel like the decision to retire was the right one. 

Still too early. Got to add 5-10 days for people to get their test results back. I know it varies by state, but that timeframe is what I’ve seen as average for the county.  

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
Still too early. Got to add 5-10 days for people to get their test results back. I know it varies by state, but that timeframe is what I’ve seen as average for the county.  
Wouldn't be too early to start showing symptoms, though.  Anyone who caught the covid on the race or the island, and showed symptoms, those symptoms would've long since begun to appear.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
I don't think anyone on our crew will get tested after the race to see if they had exposure, unless they exhibit symptoms.  So as far as our group is concerned nobody will know unless a crewmember or someone close gets sick. 

I'm not clairvoyant or an epidemiologist, but I'm pretty sure nobody in our group will get the virus (from the race). 

I think the DNR did the race organizers a favor by making use of the island docks impossible for the race. It closed the most likely place where cross contamination between crews would have occurred, at dock party.

Unrelated, the logistics of some of the big programs are inspiring. Callisto was on the hard at Larsen Marine in Waukegan on July 3rd, When I went back July 24th, there she was again in a different spot. You wouldn’t have known she did a race a few hundred miles away in between. I know it’s plenty of time between those dates to make it happen, but I think that’s cutting it close with almost no shake down time before the race. 

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
I think the DNR did the race organizers a favor by making use of the island docks impossible for the race. It closed the most likely place where cross contamination between crews would have occurred, at dock party.

Unrelated, the logistics of some of the big programs are inspiring. Callisto was on the hard at Larsen Marine in Waukegan on July 3rd, When I went back July 24th, there she was again in a different spot. You wouldn’t have known she did a race a few hundred miles away in between. I know it’s plenty of time between those dates to make it happen, but I think that’s cutting it close with almost no shake down time before the race. 
On the other hand, she finished last among finishers in her class, behind the other 52s and not saving time on the 70s, so maybe a little more time in the water and less time on the hard would've been useful.

I dunno about the docks being the most likely place for cross contamination.  A likely place, maybe not the most.  I think the DNR went a little bit overboard.  They didn't close them, they just made the conditions for BYC's use so stringent that BYC said no way.  And since they were open to individual reservation, the situation there ended up "worse" than the conditions they imposed on BYC.  The DNR wanted boats only every other well and a strict limit of 100 people on the dock with BYC responsible for posting guards 24/7.  (I guess it's a "gathering.")  But they ended up taking reservations for more wells than that, and you could easily find more than 100 people on the dock at times.  Spread out and socially distanced, but there all the same.

They could've put 2/3 of the fleet in the harbor with no rafting, and any overflow on the coal docks.  That would've kept boats six feet apart.  Instead of a numbers limit, they could've just required masks when not on your boat.  I doubt they would've filled the harbor, given the number of boats that never had any intention of staying on the island even before the harbor closed.  And having boats there 1) gives people an outdoor place to congregate instead of going indoors and 2) keeps some people out of hotels.

All water under the bridge now.  We had a good time and I don't think the race was ever a major risk to begin with given the many precautions.  Let's hope next year is back to normal.  It's missing something without the parties and crowded harbor.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
All water under the bridge now.  We had a good time and I don't think the race was ever a major risk to begin with given the many precautions.  Let's hope next year is back to normal.  It's missing something without the parties and crowded harbor.

Next year is going to be great, I'll say that both Macs will see a healthy dose of entries revving up to make up for lost time.  I'm sure all associated parties and gatherings will be the same.

Regarding Callisto, when I joined a J111 crew that moved up from a Hunter Legend 37 there was a big learning curve to get up to speed on that type of boat, frankly there still is 3 years on (but that's our problem).  The owner of Callisto has moved up to a Pac 52 from a J109, that has to be a much steeper curve.   Funny you mention that program, I started following Callisto's Instagram yesterday.  By all accounts that boat has only been with the program since the last offseason.  I would say that making it to the starting line in the same season they get a new boat during a global pandemic is accomplishment enough.