BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

eastern motors

Racers are gonna race. If a boat in the fleet all comes down with it, it’s the skippers liability.
Those recommendations from Dr. Rosenthal should  cause cancellation of the race.  It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them.  I doubt there is even a single boat that will require crew to wear masks below deck.  Plenty of over 65 skippers and crew.  



Super Anarchist
Good on BYC for trying to run the race.  I did get a chuckle about the BYC expert advice on "Hot Bunking" but the crew on boats from Illinois should have an easier time "social distancing" because I'm sure they will only bring 8 adults on their boat per their Governor's Boating Guideline for boats over 38 feet :rolleyes:
Nah, the delivery crew will just be 8 or less. 


European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Hello All,  

Read your comments and I now understand.  I was wrong.  It was not my place to tell you or BYC what to do. 

It is up to each individual sailor to determine if they should race and not me.

For those that participate in the race I sincerely hope you get fair winds and following seas.
Jesus fellow, this is the internet. You aware of that? Do you have any idea how forums work?

Considering other people's responses in a reasonable manner is just not done, never has been, never will be. Acknowledging you may have been wrong is bang out.  If everyone, or even a few people, behaved in such a manner this place will completely fall apart. Take a long hard look at yourself.



Super Anarchist
Those recommendations from Dr. Rosenthal should  cause cancellation of the race.  It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them.  I doubt there is even a single boat that will require crew to wear masks below deck.  Plenty of over 65 skippers and crew.  
The recommendations of one member/competitor/doctor who felt compelled to opine and was given the opportunity to publish his thoughts is not a reason to cancel the race.  It's valuable guidance for anyone who chooses to use it.

Christ, leave it to the Rona to bring me out of retirement.  

Last edited by a moderator:


Super Anarchist
Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.
This has never been a true statement.



Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Here is the official announcement from BYC today, the race will NOT be canceled:

Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - June 24, 2020

Current items to update everyone on.

  • The race is NOT canceled
  • I am very disappointed to report that the Mackinac Island Harbor will NOT be available to the race this year. After months of promises, the DNR has finally sent the requirements that the race must comply with. After reviewing the contract, we have determined that it is impossible to comply. In our opinion the requirements go well beyond all other controls currently in place at any other place on the island and other state facilities.
  • Since the issue with the DNR is specifically related to the "Event" and not private citizens we have officially informed the DNR that we will not be utilizing the harbor and have requested that the docks released and made available for private reservation. It is now in the DNR's hands to make these docks available.
  • Everyone competing in the race is now responsible for individually arranging docking for their boat after the race.
  • The DNR has provided cursory availability at nearby state harbors. Currently, I do not trust that data enough to share it. I strongly encourage everyone to go online or call the harbors directly to make reservations.
  • I strongly encourage calling the Mackinac Island Harbor to make a reservation. As stated above we have requested that these docks be made available for reservations.
  • There will be very short term tie up at the coal docks. This time will be limited to a couple of hours. You will be able to tie up, drop off crew, organize the boat and then the boat MUST leave so we can accommodate other boats.
  • Based on this information, any boat that wants to withdraw because we will not have access to the harbor at this time can do so by 30 June 2020. You can choose to have a refund or apply your entry fee to the 2021 race.
  • For those that chose to compete in the race, after we understand the harbor situation, there will be an adjustment to the entry fee to rebate the portion of the entry fee that is used to pay for the harbor. We do NOT know how much this will be, or when we will be able to determine what it will be, or how it will be disbursed.
  • The Awards on Mackinac Island are canceled. The flag awards will be given at Bayview Yacht Club as soon as can be practically arranged after the race. Likely sometime in August but that is not set in stone.
  • I want to make it very clear that this is a DNR issue and NOT a Mackinac Island issue. The Island is open for business, looks great and raring to go. Some businesses have not opened yet but most are open. There are a very few that have posted signs that they will not be opening in 2020.
  • I completely understand that this amount of uncertainty may be the last straw for some of you. Please inform Linda ([email protected]) or me ([email protected]) ASAP if you are withdrawing from the race.
  • We have received the following Warning from Custom Border Patrol. The border closure has been extended to July 21 at 2359 hrs., any pleasure boats, including the sailors, are NOT allowed to cross the imaginary border line. They are considered Non-Essential Craft. Please make sure all the skippers understand this issue.
  • I strongly encourage everyone to focus on the positive. We are racing and very few others are this season. Let's sail hard, have fun and stay safe.
  • Stay Patient and Stay Flexible. The only known this year is there will be more changes.

Chris Clark
Chairman - 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race



In case you didn't see it this was the Medical advice BYC sent out.  Take particular note of the advice on Hot Bunking:

Precautions all Participants and Family Should Consider

Dr. Marc Rosenthal, BYC Member


Race Information:

As all racers are aware Michigan along with the rest of the world is dealing with the Covid-19 Pandemic.  While the number of cases in Michigan, due to shelter in place, has markedly decreased, it is still present.  While medical facilities are not overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients, the patient's survival is more dependent on their current health, age and risk factors than on the quality of care.  Over the last 3 months Michigan had one of the highest case fatality rates in the US.  The disease can be lethal to many.  


With the above in mind, the question is how can a crew be best protected to prevent transmission and contracting the disease?


World Sailing recommends those over the age of 65 and significant comorbidities should not race.  That is a personal decision, those in this class are at higher risk of death not of transmitting the disease.



I would recommend that racers really isolate as best as possible starting 14 days before the race.  You may want to test the crew but realize that each test is only 70% accurate and is less so if the person is not symptomatic.  Self-quarantine is effective.  Use of social distancing and masks when out of the house and in any potentially confined area is recommended.   If at any time prior to the race including up to race day a crew member feels sick, they should not race unless they are asymptomatic for 5 days prior to the race.  If you become sick the day of the race do not race.  If you test positive you cannot race until all symptoms have abated and 5 days elapse.


Race day:

Any crew member with signs or symptoms of Covid-19 should not race.  The risk to the crew is too high. While they might not have Covid, but a cold, I think the risk is too great to the crew and racers in general.



Per the Governor's executive order, social distancing is still required even by racers on a boat.  That means maintaining as best as possible 6 ft from others.  In addition, in the cabin and on deck at less than 6 ft Masks should be worn.  Covid spreads primarily via respiratory droplets, the mask protects others not you.  CDC states if social distancing is not possible, then masks are ok and required.


Things you can do to limit exposure include or allow more flexibility:

  • [SIZE=10pt]Foredeck crew, no mask needed when on the foredeck, no others on foredeck.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]High winds and/or heavy rain probably masks not needed; exposure risk probably minimal.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Light air, exposure risk is higher so distancing as best as possible and mask will limit risk.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sleeping on deck will limit potential transmission.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For winch handles, contact risk is minimal but not zero.  One can assign a winch handle per crew per shift and clean it at the end of the shift or clean between uses as best as possible. As long as your hands do not touch your face prior to washing your hands, risk is low.  But have to keep hands away from face.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Have cleaning wipes on board and hand sanitizer to protect the crew.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For food, cleaning dishes and utensils with soap and water is sufficient, but you can use disposables to decrease risk and time down below.  Consider minimal cooking using hot water only and freeze-dried food or MREs.  Use fresh food (veggies, fruits, etc.)  without heating requirements.  Package after cleaning into per person or daily bags.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]For sleeping in berths, since hot berthing is the norm, if you have couples on board, they should hot berth together.  Decreases exposure.   If not enough couples then pick wisely as to hot berthing mates.  But also consider boat safety with on deck crew requirements. Remember as ventilation in the cabin for the most part is poor, the risk is highest, so mask use by all down below is necessary.  Consider decreasing the need to be down below, make sure everything is stored correctly, chance of messes is decreased, bags are closed, etc.  [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]The Head should be wiped down really after every use with wipes or cleaning spray and paper towel.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]As best as possible try to air out the cabin and head as much as possible given the conditions.[/SIZE]

Covid-19 Symptoms

Symptoms can be highly varied but include:


  • [SIZE=10pt]Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Cough[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fever (Temperature over 100.4 F)[/SIZE]

Not classic but common:

  • [SIZE=10pt]Congestion[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Headache[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Sinus symptoms[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Vomiting and/or diarrhea.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Fatigue[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=10pt]Chills[/SIZE]

If at any time during the race a crew member has the above symptoms, isolate them as best as possible, everyone needs to use protection all the time. If someone becomes ill, withdraw from the race or other area where contact with others is possible and make way to an area with a hospital.


Marc S Rosenthal, PhD, DO, FACEP, FAEMS

Stargazer, 3839

GPSC Fleet Surgeon

[email protected]

Emergency/EMS Physician

Medical Physicist

Attending Physician, Sinai-Grace Hospital/DMC 

Medical Director, Emergency Management and EMS, SGH/DMC

Supervisory Medical Officer, DHHS/ASPR/EMMO/NDMS/DMAT MI-1 

Assoc. Program Director, Wayne State EMS Fellowship

Deputy Medical Director, Detroit East Medical Control Authority

Chair, American College of Emergency Physicians, Disaster Preparedness and Response Committee
Well damn, that notice really makes me want to race.......