BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

fingerbang

tartarus
a few hours on the island, that's all?  The whores better work fast, perhaps set up an assembly line?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Rather than do my own leg work, who knows whether they have written the border restriction into the course instructions.  That is, if you sail into Canada, you can get tossed.  

damcoyote

Sarnia
How is it that the GLSS Mac solo just sailed a race up through Canadian waters with no issues, but the BYC Mac is getting told that the imaginary line is a hard closed border. Someone needs to get their info straight.

Gangbusters

Anarchist
Chicago
My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Which boat was that? I tracked all of them up the lake and they were all made it to the US side?
I don't know about a boat that was impounded in Canada.

I do know that the Express 27 Riptide demasted in the storm.  Skipper was rescued from the boat and initially the boat was left adrift.  Skipper is OK.  Last I heard the boat was towed to Rogers City.  This is supported by the tracker:

Lake Huron solo challenge tracking

My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.
Based on 2 phone calls to authorities: Canadian coast guard says you can sail in Canadian waters but not anchor. US customs and border patrol says it is a hard border that may not be crossed. This is a problem for some of us who barely are able to make it under Canadian side of blue water bridge as it is. 

damcoyote

Sarnia
    LT Jason Radcliffe, U.S. Coast Guard 9th District 

The Canadian/US border is currently closed.  They suggested that you do not cross the imaginary line in the lake.  Do not anchor in US waters.  When we leave SYC entrance turn right.

This is what we received in Sarnia for the border. It does not state that the imaginary line is a hard border.

Svanen

Super Anarchist
Whitby
Bizarre how many posters keep demanding that the OA cancel. What a nanny state world we live in.

It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them. 
It is not, and never has been, the RC's responsibility to treat competitors like infants and "protect them" from themselves. Please read Rule 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
Based on 2 phone calls to authorities: Canadian coast guard says you can sail in Canadian waters but not anchor. US customs and border patrol says it is a hard border that may not be crossed. This is a problem for some of us who barely are able to make it under Canadian side of blue water bridge as it is. 
Yeah, sure, but border closings aren’t the Coast Guard’s gig, so proceed with caution.  CBSA will give you an emphatic NO if asked about crossing borders on water.

Cheers!

cubfan

The canadian entries didn't decide not to compete because Mac island would be off limits.  It is tough for them to compete when the Canadian's have closed their border to all non-essential, and sailing is considered non-essential.  So US boats that have Canadian residents as crew members have to find alternatives.  The Canadians can't leave their country, it has absolutely nothing to do with the island itself.