C-Class meeting and goings on

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Will Clark posted up some fresh C-class news on clarksail.com. It's good to see so much action happening in the class, and from the sounds of it, the next go around of the LAC is really shaping up to be the best event ever with teams planning on foiling... at least that's the hope anyway. If they can make it work on the 72's they can probably make it work on the C's, although the sail area restriction might prove to be the limiting factor. Will's tally of the total number of boats possibly hitting the line in Falmouth is 16. That's a party.

That's awesome! Americas cup going to cats was the best thing that could have happened, even if they went a bit to far with the 72s. Has made sailing exciting for the masses again and got development jump started again.

blunted

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Our work is cut out for us, should be a really exciting event with some teams with mad skills showing up. Interest has jumped to a whole new level. Time to hit the gym

Willy Clark

Boston, MA
That's awesome! Americas cup going to cats was the best thing that could have happened, even if they went a bit to far with the 72s. Has made sailing exciting for the masses again and got development jump started again.
All definitely true. The C-Class developed hard wing sailing for almost 50 years and now the AC's have picked up on a good thing and definitely increased it's popularity a good deal. It's a two way street again.

Best,

Willy

Can't wait to see how the latest generation boats turn out. Is there an official set of class rules floating around somewhere? Gave google a crack but only came up with bits and pieces of info.

catsailordude

Toronto
Can't wait to see how the latest generation boats turn out. Is there an official set of class rules floating around somewhere? Gave google a crack but only came up with bits and pieces of info.
I think the class rules are something like: 25 feet long, 14 feet wide, 300 square feet sail area, catamaran, 2 crew on trapeze. There is no minimum weight.

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
C Class Catamaran Rules

January 1, 2011

1. A catamaran is defined as a two-hulled sailing boat with essentially duplicate or mirror image hulls, fixed in parallel positions.

1. Sail area shall not be more than 27.868 square meters (300 square feet) Sail area to be measured in accordance with the "ISAF Measurement & Calculation of Sail Area Instructions" (Last issued May 1985).

1. The overall length of the catamaran shall not be more than 7.62 meters (25 feet). The length shall be measured between perpendiculars to the extremities of the hulls with the catamaran in her normal trim. The measurement shall be taken parallel to the centre line of the craft and shall exclude rudder hangings. However, if the athwartships width of a rudder within 153mm (6 inches) of the bottom of the hull is more than 76mm (3 inches), the length shall be taken to the aftermost point of the rudder.

1. The extreme beam shall not be more than: 4.267 meters (14 feet). The beam shall be measured at right angles to the centre line of the craft at the widest point and including all fixed or adjustable apparatus with the exception of a normally accepted trapeze or retractable seat.

1. The crew shall be two people.

1. There is NO rule 6.

1. The C class emblem shall be carried on the mainsail and shall consist of the letter C over two parallel horizontal lines over national letters and sail numbers. Sail numbers shall be allotted by the National Authority or Class Association appointed by the National Authority. The class emblem, national letters and distinguishing numbers shall be placed as prescribed in the Yacht Racing Rules.

Obviously there are interpretations and measurement instructions that add a bit to this, but these are the rules.

NOR and Sailing Instructions also may limit the number of mode changes during a single regatta.

SHC

Edit: I don't know why, when copied from word, all the rule numbers became "1"

Last edited by a moderator:

FishAintBiting

Anarchist
C Class Catamaran Rules

January 1, 2011

1. A catamaran is defined as a two-hulled sailing boat with essentially duplicate or mirror image hulls, fixed in parallel positions.

1. Sail area shall not be more than 27.868 square meters (300 square feet) Sail area to be measured in accordance with the "ISAF Measurement & Calculation of Sail Area Instructions" (Last issued May 1985).

1. The overall length of the catamaran shall not be more than 7.62 meters (25 feet). The length shall be measured between perpendiculars to the extremities of the hulls with the catamaran in her normal trim. The measurement shall be taken parallel to the centre line of the craft and shall exclude rudder hangings. However, if the athwartships width of a rudder within 153mm (6 inches) of the bottom of the hull is more than 76mm (3 inches), the length shall be taken to the aftermost point of the rudder.

1. The extreme beam shall not be more than: 4.267 meters (14 feet). The beam shall be measured at right angles to the centre line of the craft at the widest point and including all fixed or adjustable apparatus with the exception of a normally accepted trapeze or retractable seat.

1. The crew shall be two people.

1. There is NO rule 6.

1. The C class emblem shall be carried on the mainsail and shall consist of the letter C over two parallel horizontal lines over national letters and sail numbers. Sail numbers shall be allotted by the National Authority or Class Association appointed by the National Authority. The class emblem, national letters and distinguishing numbers shall be placed as prescribed in the Yacht Racing Rules.

Obviously there are interpretations and measurement instructions that add a bit to this, but these are the rules.

NOR and Sailing Instructions also may limit the number of mode changes during a single regatta.

SHC

Edit: I don't know why, when copied from word, all the rule numbers became "1"
Perhaps this is just a simpler way, for you cat sailors, to understand the rules :)

But now I am wondering where is, "the first rule of sailing C-Class cats is you don't talk about sailing C-Class cats"

Good luck to all!

Willy Clark

Boston, MA
Possibly the most self serving post of all time -

My Dad Steve Clark is up for Seahorse Magazine's Sailor of the Month for February. I may be biased (ok I'm definitely, absolutely, 100% biased) but in my opinion US Sailing is drastically different without my old man. That's my best effort at an objective opinion. Visit the site and vote for Dad.

Best,

Willy

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
Possibly the most self serving post of all time -

My Dad Steve Clark is up for Seahorse Magazine's Sailor of the Month for February. I may be biased (ok I'm definitely, absolutely, 100% biased) but in my opinion US Sailing is drastically different without my old man. That's my best effort at an objective opinion. Visit the site and vote for Dad.

Best,

Willy
Done- here is where to do it.

http://www.seahorsemagazine.com/sailor-of-the-month

Love the irony of the blurb too. "Little America’s Cup in 2010 suggests AC34 owes him a lot." and yet they are threatening legal action over trademark infringement of "Americas Cup"

Priceless

Trimariner

I voted for steve over Jimmy also. Jimmy did what a skipper should do after a major stuff in. Steve is a visionary pioneer who has been pushing the proverbial uphill his whole life. Also not a self promoter and a gentleman. If we had to lose the little AC after holding it for a record time I can not think of a better man/ team to hand it on to. Indeed it was an honour to play a small part in the Australian team and I urge all anarchists to give steve their vote. Hey, our skipper Simon has been Australian of the year! Steve deserves the whole 12 months! Cheers all. PS, on the seahorse site they also ask for nominations for the next month. I'm voting Paul Larson for the next one, how about it?