Cabin Sole replacement

I’m replacing the main cabin sole on my Alerion Express 28.  The original is 1/2” ‘teak & holly’ plywood and I’ve bought a sheet of same. 
The two removable sections of the original sole are secured to the floors by small elbow catches on the underside.
image.jpeg

They’re accessed through 1” ID finger holes in the ply which are finished with 1” ID teak finger pulls glued in place.
image.jpeg
They’re accessed through 1” ID finger holes which are finished in the plywood by teak rings glued in place. I think they’re commonly called finger pulls.  

I have two questions .
Where can I get those teak rings?  A can only find them in 7/8” ID and that’s tight for my pudgy finger. 
Are there other panel fastening gubbins which I might prefer. 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I don’t like the hole, teak ring 

it ages poorly 

I prefer a suction cup for lifting floor boards 

ive never found a hold down that I like 

Ive used this lift style  they are OK

aircraft panel hold down screws  also work 

530F322B-06B0-48D6-A0FA-F6945E8287A1.jpeg

A4F057A4-A13B-43F5-B2D3-A2557CC12211.jpeg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Fleetwood said:
I specified the 'aircraft panel hold down screws' Slug showed, for my cabin sole.

Removed them soon after, I found them impossible to seat and remove easily.

A simple system of shock cord fastened to the sole,  and  a hook on the side of one of the floors works well for me now.

(You can make up similar teak rings with some scrap timber and a couple of hole saws, any size you like. Not quite as aesthetic, but once sanded smooth will look OK).
Boats move ..temperature , rigging loads 

difficult to deal with floorboards, hold downs and this movement 

many times it’s better to eliminate removable floorboards and go with a fixed floor and  framed, hinged and locked down hatches  set into this fixed floor 

on small boats this may be difficult 

allweather

baltic
Ive used this lift style  they are OK
Are there versions suitable for deck hatches?

I need to get my cockpit locker hatches tight and would prefer putting one of these in each corner instead of outside latches. But if water just seeps through the latch itself, then it would be a wasted effort.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Are there versions suitable for deck hatches?

I need to get my cockpit locker hatches tight and would prefer putting one of these in each corner instead of outside latches. But if water just seeps through the latch itself, then it would be a wasted effort.
Many waterproof deck hatch type hold downs 

they use O rings on the shaft penetration 

do a google search 

avoid cheap stuff , look for US or European brands 

DDW

Super Anarchist
Fleetwood said:
I specified the 'aircraft panel hold down screws' Slug showed, for my cabin sole.

Removed them soon after, I found them impossible to seat and remove easily.

A simple system of shock cord fastened to the sole,  and  a hook on the side of one of the floors works well for me now.

(You can make up similar teak rings with some scrap timber and a couple of hole saws, any size you like. Not quite as aesthetic, but once sanded smooth will look OK).
I also specified the quarter turn fasteners in the picture (the vendor is PYI). I also changed them shortly afterwards. They depend on very accurate depth adjustment as there is nearly zero compliance in the depth grip length. They were impossible to adjust and keep adjusted. This is even with cored carbon fiber floorboards, which should be more stable than wood. I left the finishing ring in place, made new sockets that were simply a threaded hole, and use flat head machine screw in place of the 1/4 fastener. It works, but not as quick access and the screws are not captive in the holes. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Those Dzus fasteners are really only good for sheet metal panels - as noted they require extremely precise alignment.

For panels that require only occasional removal I use these with machine screws.

If you use Robertson or Allen head fasteners you can zip them out in seconds with a cordless screwdriver or drill.

697.jpg

DDW

Super Anarchist
Actually real Dzus fasteners are much more tolerant of misalignment and depth variation than the PYI floor anchors. The typical Dzus fastener (they make many types) engages a wire spring and has a lot of compliance. There is another PYI 1/4 turn panel anchor that contains a spring for depth compliance, I used a bunch of those on other panels and they work reasonably well. The floor anchors in contrast have to be exactly on position (that is possible with care) and set to exactly the right depth (that is nearly impossible over time). The only compliance is the compression of a small O ring. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Actually real Dzus fasteners are much more tolerant of misalignment and depth variation than the PYI floor anchors. The typical Dzus fastener (they make many types) engages a wire spring and has a lot of compliance. There is another PYI 1/4 turn panel anchor that contains a spring for depth compliance, I used a bunch of those on other panels and they work reasonably well. The floor anchors in contrast have to be exactly on position (that is possible with care) and set to exactly the right depth (that is nearly impossible over time). The only compliance is the compression of a small O ring. 
Sounds to me like you never had to open & close the hood of a Triumph TR3. ;) :D

DDW

Super Anarchist
Sounds to me like you never had to open & close the hood of a Triumph TR3. ;) :D
If I had a Triumph TR3 I'd leave the hood off for ready access. I did own a Triumph Bonneville for awhile. You could not let it idle on the centerstand or it would walk away and you wouldn't find it again. 

Arcot

Lund BC
British Ausin in 1968 in a northern Ontario Canadian winter.

Left side front disc brake fractured into 2 pieces and was held together by ice for a while.

Apart from that, the rust and the engine needing a rebuild at 20000 miles it was an excellent car in the snow.

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
Not even close.

But plenty bad, I agree. Their ugliness kept me away.

Your comment implies plural. Did you have 2 or 3 so one was always available?

Or just a slow learner? ;)

all of the above

and they were a good looking car with great handling and a real pleasure to drive  ... on the occasions they could complete the fuel to movement cycle

did read in the dog and lemon guide they were a winner in all categories .. even scored higher than the amc gremlin .. the reliant robin was classed as a bike .. so didnt count 

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I love the TR3. During my research I've read that there are now turnkey electronic fuel injection systems for the older British cars that can actually make them reliable. 

Seen this one? 9306C2E2-8D4D-4C60-B6CD-950094C2FDA5.jpeg

Latest posts