Cabin Sole replacement

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
the power train in the TR7 wasn't the problem

they could never solve the loom shorting or the popup headlights not sitting properly in the fully up or fully down position and consequently the electric motor to raise and lower them was almost always running ... about 2-3 hours to flatten a fully charged battery

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
On my last monohull I used the same threaded fastener as Jon and 1/4" flush head machine screws. Super easy. Super secure
with the cost and power of modern magnets .. has anyone tried using them .. self aligning. secure. easyish to get off, easy to make flush

DDW

Super Anarchist
The problem with magnets for this is the same as the PYI floor fasteners: no depth compliance. Even a small gap between them greatly reduces the attraction (by greater than d^2). I use nickel plated rare earth magnets to hold the companionway door open, small lockers closed, etc. They work well but must be set at a depth that they touch. The nickel plating works pretty well to keep corrosion at bay. I tried to use some really big ones to hold the transom door closed, embedding them with a single layer of 6 oz cloth on each separating. This reduced the attraction by maybe 70 or 80%. If only air were as permeable as iron....

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
with the cost and power of modern magnets .. has anyone tried using them .. self aligning. secure. easyish to get off, easy to make flush
I've used mag catches in a few spots - small locker doors, the drop down panel my small electrical panel is mounted on - but I wouldn't even consider them for anything heavy or anything that gets wet.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Could you paint the magnets like a lure, convince the fish to eat them...and then go fishing for the magnetic fish?

Mechanical fasteners are good. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002655615860.html?

they make them a lot bigger and stronger than when we first played with them

the  new 'sport' of magnetic fishing has created a market for very strong robust magnets

( for metal stuff not the flappy things )
If they are strong enough to properly retain floorboards the they will be too strong for anyone to lift those floorboards.

Maybe electromagnets with a switch?

I’m uneasy about magnets on a boat with a magnetic compass.

Many years ago, before the coming of Loran or GPS, on a foggy morning in Downeast Maine, we got quite lost. 
A guest had put her boom box in the quarter berth and its speaker magnets made the ship’s compass useless.