California shutters

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Doing more home renos and one (expensive) thing on the list is (are?)shutters. Wood shutters are apparently about 30% more than vinyl. Worth the difference in price?

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Deependes on the looke you going foire...............                        :)

El Borracho

Sam’s friend
Pacific Rim
Just for function: Vinyl. To look good in a room with other wood surfaces: Wood. I prefer wooden blinds...hoisted out of sight. But maybe that does suit your needs.

Really...?

ed73f26bf3037631ad373f4c484c0560--photo-images-fun-photo.jpg

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I can tell you that certain woods will hold up much better, and look much better for much longer than Vinyl. or PVC. or ABS.

WRC (clear no sap) RedWood (Clear no sap), AWC (Clear no sap), Cypress. Silverbali. Angelique, Teak, Mahogany(Central American.... Although the African will work too. just different), Catalalpa. Mulberry (White would be better, but red will work) Black locust, Osage Ornge, White Oak. Even clear heart eastern White Pine, if it's primed and painted will all outlast Vinyl.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I can tell you that certain woods will hold up much better, and look much better for much longer than Vinyl. or PVC. or ABS.

WRC (clear no sap) RedWood (Clear no sap), AWC (Clear no sap), Cypress. Silverbali. Angelique, Teak, Mahogany(Central American.... Although the African will work too. just different), Catalalpa. Mulberry (White would be better, but red will work) Black locust, Osage Ornge, White Oak. Even clear heart eastern White Pine, if it's primed and painted will all outlast Vinyl.
I think that they use aspen. We want to have white shutters but a matte/satin appearance and not blinding white. With wood they spray them and have a wide range of whites. The vinyl ones look a little plasticy which I guess is not a surprise. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Aspen has almost no rot resistance If they're coated with CPES before painting they will hold up better. Still, I'd rather have WRC or Redwood.

Sand crab

Montana
I'm a retired contractor. I doubt aspen because it doesn't do well in the elements. We are talking exterior shutters, right?  Shutters are typically cedar or pine btw. Sugar pine used to be real popular as an exterior wood and it's more of a whitish blond color.  But it's really hard to beat vinyl. They look fine from a distance and no one really looks at shutters anyway. Use Krylon Fusion if you want to change the color. It is absolutely amazing on most plastics

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
One problem w/ vinyl is that it sags, it becomes chalky and brittle, and spiders seem to be particularly fond of it.... And it looks like plastic.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
One problem w/ vinyl is that it sags, it becomes chalky and brittle, and spiders seem to be particularly fond of it.... And it looks like plastic.
Sondes licke five probelms............            :)

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
I'm a retired contractor. I doubt aspen because it doesn't do well in the elements. We are talking exterior shutters, right?  Shutters are typically cedar or pine btw. Sugar pine used to be real popular as an exterior wood and it's more of a whitish blond color.  But it's really hard to beat vinyl. They look fine from a distance and no one really looks at shutters anyway. Use Krylon Fusion if you want to change the color. It is absolutely amazing on most plastics
Sorry, wasn't clear, it is for interior shutters.

mikewof

mikewof
30% more is a bargain. Those vinyl shutters are more accurately plastic shutters, they're utter shite if you live anywhere that gets windy or has wasps.

The plastic does nothing to discourage the wasps from setting up behind them, they get brittle in the sun. The builder put several of those shit-magnets on my house and I've picked up the pieces of them as the wind breaks the sun-weakened structure and blows them onto my lawn. And each time one blows off, it leaves a couple of wasp nests behind it.

I'm going to make my own cedar shutters, stain the fronts, leave the backs natural to deter the wasps, put the plastic shutters into the recycling bin, and feel only a tiny shred of guilt that I know they can't actually be recycled into anything by landfill. I've had cedar benches (made from 5/8-inch pickets) that have been outdoors 365 for going on ten years, and essentially zero rot. So yeah, don't waste your money on plastic shit shutters, they suck the oats out of a burro's asshole.

il_794xN.1985346674_7frn.jpg