California shutters

mikewof

mikewof
Exterior shutters that are screwed to the wall is ridiculous, it amazes me that they are still used.

But then I lived in Alabama, and a lot of houses have actual closing, locking exterior shutters to protect the windows in hurricanes ... ah, so that's their purpose.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Exterior shutters that are screwed to the wall is ridiculous, it amazes me that they are still used.

But then I lived in Alabama, and a lot of houses have actual closing, locking exterior shutters to protect the windows in hurricanes ... ah, so that's their purpose.
Especially when a black sharpie comes in..... Gotta watch out for those black sharpie cones of probability.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
We really need Tom to chime in with the durability of humble plywood.
Well, OK. If my little experiment is any guide, pieces of Flyin' Hawaiian are probably still out there somewhere, presumably outside the environment.

My little house was built in the 1930's, expanded and updated a bit probably in the 70's, and moved here in the 80's. At that time, it got vinyl siding.

I never looked underneath until a few years ago, when I replaced the old windows. Turns out, the original siding is still under the plastic stuff, and it's (now extinct) Dade County hard pine. So is the floor. It's probably worth more in pieces than whole but I like it the way it is.