Calling All Cruisers on the Columbia River

born2sail

Super Anarchist
...to get your boat and crew registered for Sail for the Cure.

sfc_entry.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
I watched a sailboat race on the Columbia once. Winds were about 8 knots with the current @ 5 ish. On the upwind leg, the boats were giving it hell heeled over, rail meat on the high side.

and sitting absolutely still. :lol:

born2sail

Super Anarchist
I watched a sailboat race on the Columbia once. Winds were about 8 knots with the current @ 5 ish. On the upwind leg, the boats were giving it hell heeled over, rail meat on the high side.
and sitting absolutely still. :lol:
And then there are those times when the wind is blowing like stink, windwaves are 2-4 feet against a 3 knot current. Two years ago under these conditions, in one evening race we had two MOB's (one was a driver), one broken arm (driver got caught in the mainsheet), and one boat lost her rig.

The highlight this year was an evening when racing was called off because winds were 50 knots + out of the south. Much of Oregon blew across the river onto the good folks in Vancouver. In the meantime, the river was so rough that a tug lost control of the fuel barge it was pushing and had to call for reinforcements. Quite a sight as viewed from a stool at one of our many riverside watering holes.

Nothing quite like sailing on the Columbia River, either in Portland, upstream at Cascade Locks and Hood River, or downstream to places like St. Helens (the town), Cathlamet and Astoria.

PS: Because there will be so many new sailors participating in Sail for the Cure, we have asked for high water on the river and west winds at 8-10 knots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
Soñadora was in a slip on Hayden Island (Columbia Crossing) when we bought her nearly 10 years ago. The cross-currents in the marina were ferocious. I only took the boat out twice. On the second trip, after a dozen scary attempts, I just picked an empty slip and called it good.

My original plan (dream) was to sail her down the river and out. I have seen calm conditions at the Columbia Bar, but I've also seen pretty rough conditions. We would not have been ready for that.

The race sounds like a good time.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Drove through there on Monday this week returning from a family trip. Stopped at the falls - wind was blowing down river as it was in the 40's temp wise out in the eastern hinter lands and in the 80+ in Portland that morning.

Watched a 60ft maple come down on a group of tourists at the falls parking lot.

Fantastic place to sail and some cheap living if you can find a job.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Soñadora was in a slip on Hayden Island (Columbia Crossing) when we bought her nearly 10 years ago. The cross-currents in the marina were ferocious. I only took the boat out twice. On the second trip, after a dozen scary attempts, I just picked an empty slip and called it good.
My original plan (dream) was to sail her down the river and out. I have seen calm conditions at the Columbia Bar, but I've also seen pretty rough conditions. We would not have been ready for that.

The race sounds like a good time.
Columbia Crossings (good friends of OWSA, and Sail for the Cure) is also called Tomahawk Bay and is actually on Tomahawk Island, which is adjacent to Hayden Island. You are dead on about the currents. But if you think they're bad at Columbia Crossings, try Rose City Yacht Club :blink:

Hey Columbia River folks - I'm in town working in the Dalles until Friday, don't suppose there's any beer can racing in Hood River or somewhere in short driving distance tonight (9/23) or tomorrow (9/24)? PM me if you know of anything going on and have a spot for a midwest grinder, I'd love to catch a race while I'm here. btw, it is gorgeous here, you folks are awfully lucky os sail in such a great spot! I drove in on 84 yesterday and the scenery was amazing.

Cheers,

-Dan

born2sail

Super Anarchist
Hey Columbia River folks - I'm in town working in the Dalles until Friday, don't suppose there's any beer can racing in Hood River or somewhere in short driving distance tonight (9/23) or tomorrow (9/24)? PM me if you know of anything going on and have a spot for a midwest grinder, I'd love to catch a race while I'm here. btw, it is gorgeous here, you folks are awfully lucky os sail in such a great spot! I drove in on 84 yesterday and the scenery was amazing.
Cheers,

-Dan
The J24's and Cal 20's do short-course racing in Portland on Thursday nights. For future reference, the sailing calendar can be accessed by going to www.sailpdx.com

Sail for the Cure is Sunday, Sept 27th.