Can the lower leg of a SD20 saildrive be filled from the top?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Having not done it before, I’m hiring a pro to do oil and filter changes this year. 

They won’t go under the lift to drain the oil out of the lower leg. I will go under and drain it, but I would like to know that it can be re-filled from above. The owners manual seems to indicate that it can be filled from above, but it’s not completely clear. 

Anybody know for sure?

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
SD20 zinc.jpg

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
It’s not in a travel lift, but a boat lift. I can understand not wanting to climb out on the lift, but don’t quite see why they wouldn’t go on one of those boat maintenance floats to do it. 

But, as long as they can fill it from the top, I’ll kayak over to pull and replace the plug. 

ride2live

Might be different with the Yanmar but I don't think there is anyway you could have threaded one of those pumps down into my Volvo sail drive. Just pouring in the oil took forever. It was very difficult not to pour a bit to fast and make an oily mess.

Also make sure you have the correct crush washer for the plug. If the Yanmar takes one.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Must the oil be drained, requiring a haul, or can it be sucked out from the top?
On the SD20 the only way to get *all* the oil out is to drain from the bottom. I've done partial changes from the top, but you can only get a little out. 

The SD50 has the ability to do a complete change from within the boat.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
It’s not in a travel lift, but a boat lift. I can understand not wanting to climb out on the lift, but don’t quite see why they wouldn’t go on one of those boat maintenance floats to do it. 

But, as long as they can fill it from the top, I’ll kayak over to pull and replace the plug. 
You may as well do the job yourself since you have to drain it anyway. 

No point paying someone to do it if they're expecting you do half the job for them. 

ruckus25

GA
You can get about 1/3 of it out from the top pretty easily. Just do that a few times if you don't have the ability to drain it properly. Complete drain and fill is best, but done is better than perfect.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
not sure what you're getting at. Page 39 is actually the relevant page where it shows that for the SD20 you can only change the oil out of the water. the sd50 can either be changed out of the water in the same way, or it can be pulled out with compressed air or an extraction pump. Page 19 only shows how to check the appropriate level of the oil.

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
not sure what you're getting at. Page 39 is actually the relevant page where it shows that for the SD20 you can only change the oil out of the water. the sd50 can either be changed out of the water in the same way, or it can be pulled out with compressed air or an extraction pump. Page 19 only shows how to check the appropriate level of the oil.
because page 19 is the start of the pages for the information he wants

18 is just the types of oils .  relevant but not in his question