Can you ever get the holding tank completely clean?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I don’t expect the holding tank to ever get used on my boat. I don’t usually go far enough where anyone would need to drop a deuce. Yet, there remains enough residual shit and anti-freeze to leave a lingering funk.

Is there a way to get it really completely clean? I notice that the drain is on the side of the tank - ever so slightly above the bottom of the tank.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I don’t expect the holding tank to ever get used on my boat. I don’t usually go far enough where anyone would need to drop a deuce. Yet, there remains enough residual shit and anti-freeze to leave a lingering funk.

Is there a way to get it really completely clean? I notice that the drain is on the side of the tank - ever so slightly above the bottom of the tank.
Typically you use a long articulated straw and a bucket to clean out the last remaining charter sauce from the bottom of the tank

open the tank inspection port , stick the straw in , draw a mouthful , spit into the bucket

repeat until the tank is clean

the trick is the articulating straws…they effortlessly bend into the tank corners

C9E6C136-8FED-4592-A92C-9DD3A619CEB9.jpeg

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
The funk is likely from the hose, not the tank. The test is to clean the hose, wipe it the next day with a clean cloth and see if it stinks. It probably does. All you can do is replace it if that’s the case.

The other source of funk is salt water flush. If it’s been used, pump 1/2 gallon of fresh water through the system

Easiest solution is to use a treatment like istream suggested and let sit full for a while, then plan on a while at pump out, pump out, fill repeat, some dish soap in head during this helps. Should stay oder free after. We had to do a annual clean out which is gross, wet dry shop vac wash down hose etc but that was full time live aboard in tropics and three people. The one thing to steer clear of is dosing with bleach, if you have poo in tank and kill with bleach that gives you the throw up in your mouth smell, need to use something to break it all up, wich takes time, then lots of flushing, the dish soap on top help clear out the remnants.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Istream’s stuff. Then multiple fresh water fills and pump outs. You boat fairly new, so probably not hoses yet. Every time you pump out, you should fill with fresh water a couple times, and pump that out too. Don’t let crap sit for weeks in your holding tank…

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Istream’s stuff. Then multiple fresh water fills and pump outs. You boat fairly new, so probably not hoses yet. Every time you pump out, you should fill with fresh water a couple times, and pump that out too. Don’t let crap sit for weeks in your holding tank…
This. Also continually flush the head itself while you are pumping it out.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
To keep a backwater tank clean , avoid chemicals, toilet bowl cleaners that kill the biological component of the sewage

to ensure the tank is alive use black water enzymes weekly

urine scale is the big issue .. for both plumbing and tanks

there are solutions for urine scale issues , but not for small yachts

968FC135-EE2D-456E-AE81-DEA656AC17E5.png

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Ordinarily, I put a lot of faith in Slug Zitski’s suggestions, but that straw thing was taking waaay too long.

- So, -

I connected a shop vac to the pump out and continuously added water to the bowl and flushed.
After a while though, I noticed that the shop vac was sucking water out of the bowl without me even flushing. If that path is open when vacuuming, does that also mean that shit from the tank can flow back into the head? Or at least into the hose?

gptyk

Anarchist
California
I connected a shop vac to the pump out and continuously added water to the bowl and flushed.
After a while though, I noticed that the shop vac was sucking water out of the bowl without me even flushing. If that path is open when vacuuming, does that also mean that shit from the tank can flow back into the head? Or at least into the hose?

There's a one-way valve at the outlet of the head. Commonly called a joker valve. (Duckbill looking thing)
Normal for it to open up when pumping the tank, if the suction is more than the vent can supply.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Ordinarily, I put a lot of faith in Slug Zitski’s suggestions, but that straw thing was taking waaay too long.

- So, -

After a while though, I noticed that the shop vac was sucking water out of the bowl without me even flushing. If that path is open when vacuuming, does that also mean that shit from the tank can flow back into the head? Or at least into the hose
For the best quality straws contact the boys at TURDMASTER

187CF2E3-D11B-4E07-BE7D-A64849A0E078.jpeg

valcour2

“Typically you use a long articulated straw and a bucket to clean out the last remaining charter sauce from the bottom of the tank”

Now I have the term “charter sauce” in my vocabulary. Very disturbing. Thanks a lot, Slug.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
“Typically you use a long articulated straw and a bucket to clean out the last remaining charter sauce from the bottom of the tank”

Now I have the term “charter sauce” in my vocabulary. Very disturbing. Thanks a lot, Slug.
Sort of like the term “gentleman’s relish”

charisma94

Fucking Legend
Palma de Mallorca
This stuff is amazing... non toxic probiotic. Eventually dissolves urine scale (struvites). As the stuff eats the shitty solids in the tank, it produces just water. Kills smell. Cleans tank walls... Be patient, it took a few weeks to notice the effects and I was blown away.

1664587633769.png

bay_cloud

SF Bay area
Smell is probably from hoses, unless they're the nicer rubbery kind. The cheaper vinyl kind can saturate. Proper fix is to replace with butyl or trident 102, the more expensive type. However if you really don't use the head, then try this with lots of flushing.