Canada bans 1,500 types of assault firearms YES!

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I spent some time earlier this year in the US (there is a thread about it).  

For the Americans reading this thread, a helpful piece of advice is to stop thinking of Canadians as the same as Americans who just happen to live a bit farther north.  You are better to think that Canada has its own history and culture as different from the US as, say, Sweden, Denmark or Switzerland. 

With that in mind, Canadians are *horrified* at mass shootings.  We will take bold steps to prevent them.  We look in shock and confusion at the US and will do what we can to not have that level of gun violence.  So from that perspective, the recent move by our Prime Minister is probably pretty consistent with what most people want and will generally receive broad acceptance.  
I think you'd discover that your way of thinking isn't so much Canadian as it is pragmatic and rational.  However in my land of sky fairies... Ya know.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
And you are proud that there was no process, just a pronouncement from on high.

Why have a parliament at all?
Actually this was a key election promise, so it was decided by the people as a whole.  (or at least by those who voted Liberal in our minority parliament.)  But I just think that it is a fantastic move and sure to help reduce killings.  Not all killings, but certainly some.   We absolutely don't want to become blase about it, like the US has become. 

bpm57

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Actually this was a key election promise, so it was decided by the people as a whole.
So bypassing parliament is acceptable for campaign promises?

So if I start looking at the status of liberal promises from the last campaign, I'll find that they were all just mandated by the PM?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
So bypassing parliament is acceptable for campaign promises?

So if I start looking at the status of liberal promises from the last campaign, I'll find that they were all just mandated by the PM?
To be fair he got the mandate from the people.  Canadians as a whole are not a bunch of trigger happy gun nutters like you.

Shocker!

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
how come handguns aren't included
A few months ago, the federal government gave the cities the power to ban handguns in the city.  They have always been legal, but just for target shooting with extreme conditions on storage and transport.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
"The RCMP has confirmed that the Nova Scotia shooter used firearms obtained illegally in Canada and from U.S. sources to carry out his crimes. He was not licensed to own firearms.

Eyewitnesses have said he used a number of weapons during his attacks, including some sort of a long-barrelled rifle and a handgun. The RCMP has described at least one of his firearms as an "assault-style" weapon."

"The ban includes guns that have been used in past Canadian shootings, such as the Ruger Mini-14 which was used in the Ecole Polytechnique massacre in Montreal in 1989, the M14 semi-automatic which was used in the 2014 Moncton shooting, the Beretta CX4 Storm which was used in the Dawson College shooting and the CSA-VZ-58 which the gunman attempted to use in the Quebec Mosque shooting. "

I read somewhere this morning that his rifle is among the list of 1500 banned rifles.
There have been 1500 mass shootings in Canada all with discrete types of assault weapons?

How many different types of assault weapons are there?

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
Actually this was a key election promise, so it was decided by the people as a whole.  (or at least by those who voted Liberal in our minority parliament.)  But I just think that it is a fantastic move and sure to help reduce killings.  Not all killings, but certainly some.   We absolutely don't want to become blase about it, like the US has become. 
Nope, if it was decided by the people as a whole it would have been a referendum on the topic.

If it was the result of "I'm going to ban assault rifles!!  I'll give everyone a doughnut" you would have to prove which promise they were voting on.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpm57

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
So bypassing parliament is acceptable for campaign promises? to reduce murder.  Yes it is.
What, I thought you were proud of the unilateral actions of your PM? Why change your angle on it now?

Actually this was a key election promise
You just said an hour ago that decrees from the PM were acceptable, because it was a campaign promise.

He promised lots of things, macleans even has a handy list of them online - how many of them got implemented by a OIC?

Pun Slinger

"The RCMP has confirmed that the Nova Scotia shooter used firearms obtained illegally in Canada and from U.S. sources to carry out his crimes. He was not licensed to own firearms.
Thank god for another law. That'll Stop em. 

Must be wonderful to live in a country where a couple dozen deaths every few years is the only thing worthy of this much angst and attention. 

Guns are FUN and you want to take that away because it kills a small number of people.  Fortunately  no other fun things kill. Might have to address their worth as FUN if they did. 

What is your moral basis for allowing alcoholic FUN and Banning gun FUN?

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Thank god for another law. That'll Stop em. 

Must be wonderful to live in a country where a couple dozen deaths every few years is the only thing worthy of this much angst and attention. 

Guns are FUN and you want to take that away because it kills a small number of people.  Fortunately  no other fun things kill. Might have to address their worth as FUN if they did. 

What is your moral basis for allowing alcoholic FUN and Banning gun FUN?
Too bad they kicked you out but I totally understand why they did it.  Would it be FUN if you were killed with a GUN?

Its an interesting question!

Edit: It would make a great Dr Seuss title.  Maybe I should write a children’s book asked on that.

Mike G

Super Anarchist
Ventura County, CA
Lots of nervous Nellie's here in the gun totin' U.S. of fricking A.  Getting closer boys.  Maybe we need more "Let's storm the capital with gunz" to show them who's boss.

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
What we are trying to do is create a public mindset that these things are just unacceptable, completely.  I think that the mindset is just as important as the actual legislation. 
this.

US gun nutters love to spout that 2nd amendment crazies have to have a particular mindset about guns and safety. That the right mindset is #1 to prevent shootings.

Nothing creates that mindset better than Canada's action.