Canada bans 1,500 types of assault firearms YES!

jocal505

moderate, informed, ex-gunowner
near Seattle, Wa
I didn't write the rules in Canada that classify battlefield .22's as weapons of war.

I didn't write the assault weapons bans in Congress that do the same.

I didn't write the assault weapons ban in the FL legislature that does the same.

If grabbers would stop classifying battlefield .22's as weapons of war, I'd stop talking about it.

They never will, nor will I.
The zone has now been flooded, with bullshit. 

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
I didn't write the rules in Canada that classify battlefield .22's as weapons of war.
Didn't you?

Where does any legislation specifically cite a "battlefield .22"?

While you're at it, could you also cite the legal definition of "battlefield .22"?

I'm really concerned that my Henry lever action .22 is a battlefield weapon..... I think I'll melt my AR-15 down myself now!

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Didn't you?

Where does any legislation specifically cite a "battlefield .22"?

While you're at it, could you also cite the legal definition of "battlefield .22"?

I'm really concerned that my Henry lever action .22 is a battlefield weapon..... I think I'll melt my AR-15 down myself now!
I already asked if you had a more appropriate term.

Look at the topic post and read the article to find out what they're banning. Or maybe I should just spoon feed you?

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced a ban on some 1,500 makes and models of military-grade and "assault-style" weapons in Canada, effective immediately.

"These weapons were designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time," Trudeau said. "There is no use and no place for such weapons in Canada."
So once again, and as always, the people describing what they're banning say they're banning "military" weapons. This is really news to you?

And once again, they proceed to ban, among other things, some .22's. I guess that part might be news to you, but that's certainly not my fault.

I'm just buying into what THEY are saying. Take it up with them for once!

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
Four people found dead in ‘targeted shooting’ at home in Richmond

Early indications are that the shooting was targeted but is not connected to the continuing Lower Mainland gang conflict. Police have not identified any of the victims but say all four are known to each other
:rolleyes:  , but NOT criminal gang related

I think this whole article is a lie,

, this would HAVE to be Chicago, or DC, 

, SURELY not in  peaceful Canukistan.

get into ze cattle car, Kieth

rest of the world.jpg

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Coming up on two years since the promise to stop this shit by taking the battlefield .22's from the people who are responsible and it still hasn't been done?
Not to worry single minded Tom. There is/was no "taking". Just a ban on the weapons. They are now prohibited. You have to turn them in. You've got 2 years since the ban. Legislation for a compensation/buyback is (I think) on pause due to a pandemic. It's pretty low priority on the government's agenda. They do not stay up late at night worrying somebody is taking their guns. Time for some facts.

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/05/01/prime-minister-announces-ban-assault-style-firearms

May 1, 2020
The newly prohibited firearms and components cannot be legally used, sold, or imported. Owners must also continue to safely store them, and may only transfer and transport them under limited circumstances...There will be a transition period of two years to protect owners of newly prohibited firearms from criminal liability while they take steps to comply with these new rules. This two-year amnesty order under the Criminal Code is in effect until April 30, 2022....Individuals should not surrender their firearm while physical distancing requirements are in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic.

So nothing happens until May. Come back and bother us then. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
 , but NOT criminal gang related

I think this whole article is a lie,

, this would HAVE to be Chicago, or DC, 

, SURELY not in  peaceful Canukistan.
True it wasn't gang related. Murder-suicide by son. We have plenty of gun related drug gang violence. Mostly they shoot each others but sometimes bystanders are killed.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Not to worry single minded Tom. There is/was no "taking". Just a ban on the weapons. They are now prohibited. You have to turn them in. You've got 2 years since the ban. Legislation for a compensation/buyback is (I think) on pause due to a pandemic. It's pretty low priority on the government's agenda. They do not stay up late at night worrying somebody is taking their guns. Time for some facts.
I've come around on that issue and have started using "buybacks" in the Kelo thread to describe what I would have previously called "takings." I know it's an issue other than guns so is unlikely to be of any interest to you, but I think I deserve credit for helpful growth on that one.

"Taking" is an archaic term used in our fifth amendment but when it becomes necessary to give someone's home to a private developer to boost the property tax revenue, that's really not any kind of taking. It's the government's house and they can buy it back at will. Don't worry, I get it now.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
,,, Neighbours on either side of the home either didn’t want to speak to the media or didn’t answer their doors.

True it wasn't gang related. Murder-suicide by son. We have plenty of gun related drug gang violence. Mostly they shoot each others but sometimes bystanders are killed.
Interesting. 

In 'Merica, we have plenty of drug gang violence where they mostly kill each other, but sometimes kill bystanders too.

? Do you think there will ever be discussion about controlling Criminals ?

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
Sheesh, 60 to 70 shots fired to get one dead and injure six ?

Zonk &  I recently had conversation about this.

,,, We have plenty of gun related drug gang violence. Mostly they shoot each others but sometimes bystanders are killed.

Interesting. 

In 'Merica, we have plenty of drug gang violence where they mostly kill each other, but sometimes kill bystanders too.
 , so in this case it appears to criminal gang members killing each other, and no bystanders hurt. 

@PeterSailor

(1) ? is gang members killing each other a bad thing?

(2) ? Do you think there will ever be discussion about controlling Criminals ?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Since most of our illegal pistols that end up in gang members hands are smuggled across the border, maybe if the US ever did better at reducing the numbers of guns in their society, we would have less here.

Nobody said anything about assault rifles did they?

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land

Latest posts